Why full time?

4 minutes ago, docj said:

We're going to be traveling from coastal Texas to Prince Edward Island later this year.  With stops to see grandchildren on the East Coast along the way, the trip will be on the order of ~2,800 miles and that entire trip (with stops) will take us most of the month of June.  That way we get to spend two full months on PEI until starting back after Labor Day.  Personally, I can't even imagine spending 45-60 days just getting there.  Maybe that's how "most of us" on this forum travel, but it sure isn't how we do it.  JMO

We left Florida one year for the Canadian maritimes.  We left in March, got to Nova Scotia in August.  Started back towards Texas in September arriving in December.  Lots to see on the way, that's why we fulltime.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

I think most of us are concerned about money and costs, but, not everyone is willing to admit it..... Most of us would like to see a healthy return on investment....

I'm glad that you felt you already got your "money's worth" 100 percent the day you acquired the RV...I wonder how many people would agree with you..? . 

Resale value is only important if you intend to sell.  I understand .  Look, I normally keep my cars 15 years....

As for the RV...it's a higher commitment in terms of maintenance..an accident in an RV is less forgiving than a car so it's absolutely essential to replace your tires, brakes and shocks whenever the need it. Driving on tires older than 6 years is a hazard regardless of miles.   I'm learning that there's a cycle for all of this.....you can schedule tire, batteries, propane sensors and maybe a few other things every five or six years.   

When you have close to  six figures invested in a vehicle... it's a big commitment. 

Remember, a brand new vehicle like mine is well over $150,000 in 2019 which is why these vehicles are so expensive as used RVs.    You bet I'm concerned about getting my money's worth.

Ah, that's the problem, you are still in the 'getting as much as I can to enjoy retirement' phase.  We are past that - we are into the enjoying what we put aside phase.  We still have investments, and I do watch them closely and adjust as needed.  The RV was never an 'investment', it was using the invested funds to do what we enjoy.  BTW - a lot of people learned a lesson in '08-'09 when real estate tanked.  We owned 6 houses over our working life.  4 sold for more than the purchase price, 2 sold for exactly the same.  That doesn't mean we made money off of them - all required maintenance over the years and no one takes that into consideration.    

Both my husband and I have had life threatening illnesses.  Once you have looked over the edge, you get a different perspective on things.   We could have worked longer, and had more in investments to fund our retirement, but we figured closely and took retirement at 62 knowing that we were trading lower income each month for YEARS OF BEING ABLE TO ENJOY OUR RETIREMENT.   I am so glad we did as now we are finding that an aging body (and assorted ailments) means we can't do as much as we used too.  And there is no way I would trade any of those years.  We are comfortable but have to be conscious of costs and manage accordingly.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, docj said:

We're going to be traveling from coastal Texas to Prince Edward Island later this year.  With stops to see grandchildren on the East Coast along the way, the trip will be on the order of ~2,800 miles and that entire trip (with stops) will take us most of the month of June.  That way we get to spend two full months on PEI until starting back after Labor Day.  Personally, I can't even imagine spending 45-60 days just getting there.  Maybe that's how "most of us" on this forum travel, but it sure isn't how we do it.  JMO

You are correct. I have no business claiming to speak for "most of us". 

Just to point out different travel approaches, we visited NB, PEI and NS last year while we summered in Maine. I cannot for the life of me imagine spending two full months on PEI.  It is a beautiful area, but quite small with relatively little to do. We'll return this summer while in Maine, but again for only a week or so. 

As far as the drive from Texas to Maine, this will be our third round trip. There is a huge variety of places to see and experience. Last year we went north into the midwest and then across.  Took six weeks and found a huge number of things to do. This year we'll follow the gulf coast to across the top of Florida, and then head up the east coast. We'll probably wish we had more time,  but we'll plan to see additional things on the way home. I can't imagine not being able to find things to do along the way. But that's us.

You've described a full-time lifestyle where you spend  8-9 months in a fixed location and then take what sounds like a destination trip during the summer.  That is a version of full-timing. Where we are now there are folks who have a built-in RV that they live in 365 days a year. I suppose that could also  be considered full-timing...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I’m not sure why this thread is still happening.  The poster has made it VERY CLEAR that they have no desire to fulltime.  And that is there prerogative.  Some quotes 

Regarding full time vs. part time....... here's the way I look at this;  if it works for you, great!   For me, I love my house, have been here more than 36 years and don't have any weather issues.  Our home has increased so much, it's a hedge against inflation, low property taxes, and pretty low maintenance.  It has the capability of hanging around longer than us. 

BUT...this is really for another discussion... maybe I should put this question on a different thread? 

Regarding full time vs. part time....... here's the way I look at this;  if it works for you, great!   For me, I love my house, have been here more than 36 years and don't have any weather issues.  Our home has increased so much, it's a hedge against inflation, low property taxes, and pretty low maintenance.  It has the capability of hanging around longer than us. 

An RV, even a  brand new 40 foot model with all the amenities, washer and dryer,  modern kitchen...and diesel engine would be $350-$400,000...or so....and would probably be falling apart after 20 years and be worth next to nothing.... plus, anything with wheels will always have maintenance and repairs... eventually the engine and transmission will fail.   Look, I'm not saying that you never need repairs and maintenance on the house, but we don't have to worry about the thing breaking down stranded on the road ....

I don't know about you...but trying to live in a 23 foot Class B is not a capital idea.... I would imagine that most of you living full time are in a 40 foot model...

And... you can spin this anyway you like.... after 20 years... my RV or yours will NOT be worth anything ... the house on the other hand will be worth a lot more....When I purchased the RV.... I figured.... three out of four isn't bad....I have three appreciating assets and one depreciating one.”

SO.... I hope you really enjoy your full time travels...  Again, I think it's great if that's what you want.    We're more likely going to sell the RV in a few years...it's a lot of fun, but, we just got back from a road trip with the car and staying in hotels.... just as much fun...

We found that... using applications like Priceline ...we could save 50 percent off of the normal price ... wound up staying in decent places for only $25 to $30 more than staying in RV parks...  Now.. maybe a lot of you just boon dock and pay zero....we like staying where we have power.... most of those places are at least $40 per night.... sometimes more..... when you factor in the fuel, RV parks and maintenance of the vehicle.... you're not saving any money driving the RV ....it might be less expensive to take the car and stay in hotels?      Hotels are open all night...and you can drive longer and faster than any RV..... most RV parks you need to check in by 9 or 10 PM....

Again...it's all about "life style".....”

So I am confused as to why this thread was even started and even continuing

1. They love there houses

2. They think RVing is a bad choice as there rig or anyone’s rig devalues and there home appreciates.

3. They prefer traveling in a car and staying at hotels

99% of us Escapee members have the same mindset about traveling, in my opinion.  No matter what we say this poster has there own perspective and does not want to fulltime.  And that is there choice.  So then it goes back to why was this thread really started.  Either way I chose to move on from this thread and try to help people that want to be helped.  As they are not on the fence about it or even thinking about doing it. The road and exploring is a calling, and they obviously do not have it.  And that is OK.  If we all liked the same things, life would be boring.

I hope that they enjoy there stick and brick homes and travels when they do and how ever they do it.

Peace out.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

But this is not an investment!!  It is odd to me that you continue to talk about it as if it is. Investments are instruments to maintain and grow your money. An RV is what you purchase with discretionary money. There is a definite predictable cost of purchasing and maintaining an RV, and hopefully you get the desired amount of enjoyment/benefit from spending that money. 

BTW - For reference, our full-time fifth wheel (bought new) plus the cost of our current pick-up (also bought new) is less than the $150,000 that you've quoted for a vehicle like yours. You spent a lot of money for a very specific RV, and that may definitely be coloring your attitude toward the cost of RVing, full-timing, etc. 

You know what.... you're right..... an RV is NOT a real investment,   however;  there's a certain expectation from a purchase like this in terms of the time of use...a vehicle like this should be able to return the pleasure of using and meeting your objective.    It's an "investment" of sorts.....

My car brand new is $40,000...  It's all relative, isn't it?   I expect my cars to last 15 years..... wouldn't you like the same for your truck and 5th wheel? 

In terms of making money.... there's nothing like real estate.    I didn't purchase the RV to make money....how many times do I have to say that.   But, I don't want to think that I'll never be able to to get back any money for it when I decide to sell.   This is why at the end of 15 or 20 years...the house will be worth more money and the RV will be worth a fraction of the original price.   Over time things do get more expensive due to inflation.  I'll never be able to afford an RV like this 10 or 15 years from now... but as I'm in my late 60s it doesn't matter...   At least in the case of the house..I can be reasonably comfortable in knowing that it will go up rather than down in value.

When people say this product comes with a "lifetime guarantee"... I always ask "who's lifetime are you talking about"?   SO.....I'm just glad to have an RV that I actually like. 

What's really BAD are the people who decided to finance a purchase like this and pay double the cost of a quickly depreciating asset.   I'm fortunate that I didn't do this.   If they financed it for more than 10 years... they are  under water by year 10. 

Right now I like the RV and the part time experience..... however, when it's done I'll just sell it and move on. I purchased it for the experience in my retirement.... someone else said you can't take it with you... very true....

I didn't purchase this new....too expensive.... I don't purchase new vehicles anymore, too much loss of value for me.  Because these are so expensive and harder to find used in excellent condition..the market value is pretty high.  

This is certainly a specialty vehicle and in terms of use...it's VERY easy... just drive it like a car, stop, put out the awning and a few chairs and you're done.    We have some leveling blocks, but, I've found that I've only used them a few times....the rig is extremely mobile, much more so than friends I know who have a Class C.   Previously I had a teardrop trailer....it was fun, but it was a lot of work getting it set up and broken down with everything in the car..... just for sleeping 💤... backing up was a first class nightmare,  those little trailers wiggle around like crazy with every slight change in the wheel.    I understand that your larger and longer 5th wheel might be easier to back up?    And... where do you store a 5th wheel?   I've seen those traveling down the road... they are enormous.  Great for space though, I'll admit. I can see why people just drive them to a camping spot and stay for a while. 

I wanted the RV experience without the hassles of carrying extra stuff...The lack of space on the Class B works perfect for me...we just don't take that much...it's a space issue.  If we discover that we need or forgot something important we just buy it.  And the 18 to 19 MPG helps out a lot.... again.... fuel is expensive ... didn't want that to stop us as a factor for not going out.   I'm sure that the 5th wheel and towing is maybe less than 10 MPG?   Whatever savings you got initially will be going into your fuel budget. 

3 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

You're welcome... I'm glad to see a good dialogue between all of us. Of course people will have different opinions and experiences which we can all learn from. 

EXACTLY!   Much nicer to read things like this than "don't know why this thread even got started", or criticism or abrasive commentary about how different people travel or what their personal satisfaction/needs/wants are.

It's interesting dialogue for so many people to see so many others varying perspectives, some of which they could relate to.   And for what very little it's worth, I agree with a prior poster - Prince Edward is a lovely little province, but we'd be the same on "why would we spend 2 months there, when so much else to see and do" ;)   

5 hours ago, mds1 said:

I’m 56 years old

I identify with you on the time to do this as I took an early retirement from my career position at 57 and have been very happy that I made that choice.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

You know what.... you're right..... an RV is NOT a real investment,   however;  there's a certain expectation from a purchase like this in terms of the time of use...a vehicle like this should be able to return the pleasure of using and meeting your objective.    It's an "investment" of sorts.....

My car brand new is $40,000...  It's all relative, isn't it?   I expect my cars to last 15 years..... wouldn't you like the same for your truck and 5th wheel? 

In terms of making money.... there's nothing like real estate.    I didn't purchase the RV to make money....how many times do I have to say that.   But, I don't want to think that I'll never be able to to get back any money for it when I decide to sell.   This is why at the end of 15 or 20 years...the house will be worth more money and the RV will be worth a fraction of the original price.   Over time things do get more expensive due to inflation.  I'll never be able to afford an RV like this 10 or 15 years from now... but as I'm in my late 60s it doesn't matter...   At least in the case of the house..I can be reasonably comfortable in knowing that it will go up rather than down in value.

When people say this product comes with a "lifetime guarantee"... I always ask "who's lifetime are you talking about"?   SO.....I'm just glad to have an RV that I actually like. 

What's really BAD are the people who decided to finance a purchase like this and pay double the cost of a quickly depreciating asset.   I'm fortunate that I didn't do this.   If they financed it for more than 10 years... they are  under water by year 10. 

Right now I like the RV and the part time experience..... however, when it's done I'll just sell it and move on. I purchased it for the experience in my retirement.... someone else said you can't take it with you... very true....

I didn't purchase this new....too expensive.... I don't purchase new vehicles anymore, too much loss of value for me.  Because these are so expensive and harder to find used in excellent condition..the market value is pretty high.  

This is certainly a specialty vehicle and in terms of use...it's VERY easy... just drive it like a car, stop, put out the awning and a few chairs and you're done.    We have some leveling blocks, but, I've found that I've only used them a few times....the rig is extremely mobile, much more so than friends I know who have a Class C.   Previously I had a teardrop trailer....it was fun, but it was a lot of work getting it set up and broken down with everything in the car..... just for sleeping 💤... backing up was a first class nightmare,  those little trailers wiggle around like crazy with every slight change in the wheel.    I understand that your larger and longer 5th wheel might be easier to back up?    And... where do you store a 5th wheel?   I've seen those traveling down the road... they are enormous.  Great for space though, I'll admit. I can see why people just drive them to a camping spot and stay for a while. 

I wanted the RV experience without the hassles of carrying extra stuff...The lack of space on the Class B works perfect for me...we just don't take that much...it's a space issue.  If we discover that we need or forgot something important we just buy it.  And the 18 to 19 MPG helps out a lot.... again.... fuel is expensive ... didn't want that to stop us as a factor for not going out.   I'm sure that the 5th wheel and towing is maybe less than 10 MPG?   Whatever savings you got initially will be going into your fuel budget. 

You have zigged and zagged through this thread to the point that I'm not even sure what you are asking about or why. Your thread title is "Why Full Time" and I think that a lot of full-time folks have given excellent answers. 

You have now confirmed that full-timing doesn't appeal to you, and we can clearly see why.  I'm glad that you are satisfied with the ease of driving and using your vehicle. You wanted the "RV experience" and you got it in a very specific way. 

As far as fuel cost, it isn't even on our radar. It is simply part of the cost of the lifestyle. We traveled to Maine back in 2011 when gasoline was over $4.00 per gallon and didn't give it a second thought. We were spending the summer in Maine, and we had to drive to get there. We had a fantastic summer and went back last year to an entirely different part of the state. That is why we full time. Which was what you were curious about way back at the beginning...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

7 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

You have zigged and zagged through this thread to the point that I'm not even sure what you are asking about or why. Your thread title is "Why Full Time" and I think that a lot of full-time folks have given excellent answers. 

You have now confirmed that full-timing doesn't appeal to you, and we can clearly see why.  I'm glad that you are satisfied with the ease of driving and using your vehicle. You wanted the "RV experience" and you got it in a very specific way. 

As far as fuel cost, it isn't even on our radar. It is simply part of the cost of the lifestyle. We traveled to Maine back in 2011 when gasoline was over $4.00 per gallon and didn't give it a second thought. We were spending the summer in Maine, and we had to drive to get there. We had a fantastic summer and went back last year to an entirely different part of the state. That is why we full time. Which was what you were curious about way back at the beginning...

It's been a good dialogue....on why people chose to go "full time"....

For those who like this... great. It's a personal choice and in the end don't think it saves any money considering rig replacement and maintenance ?    But, the experience of being a nomad and seeing different places is quite unique.

I'm not interested in doing this full time.. just not me.   Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I am so glad we did as now we are finding that an aging body (and assorted ailments) means we can't do as much as we used too.  And there is no way I would trade any of those years.

We are a few years ahead of you in age and we left a few years earlier than you but we are very much in agreement. I retired the very first day I was eligible to do so and consider it one of my best career decisions. 

30 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

...a vehicle like this should be able to return the pleasure of using and meeting your objective.

Your statement hits the point of most who fulltime, or who do any form of months-long RV trips. Consider the amount of use that you get from your RV in any given year as compared to someone who uses his RV every day, every year. If we each keep our RV for 5 years, the fulltimer uses his for 1,825 nights, compared you your use of ?? nights.... In 1998 we paid about $75K for a motorhome that only returned us about $10kwhen we sold it, but in that time we spent roughly  4,380 days and nights in it. That figures out to have cost us $14.80 per day in purchase cost. In those years we had many experiences that you will never have no matter how long you may live.

12 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

I'm not interested in doing this full time.. just not me.   

None of us are saying that you should do as we do. None of us have done exactly the same either. That is the beauty of the RV lifestyle. Each person is free to do what he likes in the way and location that he likes.

Some things to think about

Our motorhome is now 16 yrs old and still going strong.  Our 14 yr car we traded in this January because we were able to get a hybrid at a good price, and having a stick shift as arthritis gets worse isn’t what we wanted.  

there are situations where it makes sense to finance part of the purchase price so you don’t have to withdraw tax-deferred funds and take a big tax hit.  We did this because (1) interest rate was lower than what our funds were making, and (2) we had sufficient cash flow to allow us to do it and live comfortably.   

Again, you are assuming people always make money on housing.  This is not true.  

Clearly this lifestyle isn’t for you, as we have all said, but that doesn’t diminish it as the right lifestyle for others.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I understand and appreciate what you saying.. it doesn't work for everyone. 

On your RV cost calculation... I presume that you paid cash for the 1998 vehicle and this included sales tax?

No mention  about repairs, maintenance, insurance or registration.   These are all important factors in the total cost of owning an RV.   I imagine that your true cost per day is closer to triple the number you quoted more like $50 per day plus anywhere you stayed for hookup? 

Like you.. I retired early to enjoy my retirement...I've told people many times that there's no point in being the richest person in Forest Lawn... 

Recently..a lifelong friend of mine passed away suddenly after a short illness... they did manage to travel some while working, but, hung onto their job for too long... It's a balance.    No one can live forever. 

11 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Again, you are assuming people always make money on housing.  This is not true

It is if you know what you're doing.... it's all about location, location, location.....

NO, I'm not trying to diminish anyone's dream about being full time... but, you have to have eyes wide open and a plan for the eventual replacement of the coach, repairs, maintenance and breakdowns...sort of like your car only on a much grander scale.... it's a big deal.    My house...is not going to fall apart...hey...I have a second home that's 165 years old... it needs some extra TLC... but, it's still standing.....and my primary residence is almost 70 years old.....

Go ahead... tell me...or rather show me an RV that's this old ...all I can think of is one that's in a museum....

Do you ever get hassled about a 16 year old RV in some RV parks? They do that you know?

18 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

No mention  about repairs, maintenance, insurance or registration.   These are all important factors in the total cost of owning an RV.   I imagine that your true cost per day is closer to triple the number you quoted more like $50 per day plus anywhere you stayed for hookup?

Actually, if you are really interested in the total costs, you can find the last 5 years of fulltime expenses on our website and it wasn't anywhere close to $50/day. Our highest year's maintenance was about $3000 and most were less than $1000. The price that I quoted does include tax and everything and we did not finance it but I would have to do some digging to get the exact price. It had an MSRP of $81k and we negotiated that down about 18% but then paid 0.0625% income tax. But the part you fail to consider is that each person's lifestyle plays a major role in what the expenses are as we paid for campsites less than 10% of our nights on the road. We spent more than half of our time as RV volunteers where we helped at national wildlife refuges, national parks, historic sites, state parks and a number of other places in return for a full hookup site and when we traveled we often stopped at sites owned by Escapee members with extra space where there was no fee or a small donation to pay for electricity. There was 1 year that we only spent 9 nights in paid campgrounds. We occasionally spent a night in a parking lot or truck stop, but very seldom. The point is that you are making assumptions about how we live from a lack of knowledge of the lifestyle. We loved our volunteer life so much that even though we have been back at a home base for the past 8 years, we still do RV volunteer positions, with our most recent just last summer in North Dakota. By doing what we did, we experienced things and visited places that you will never have an opportunity to do in any other way. 

5 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

In terms of making money.... there's nothing like real estate.    

8 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

They only way to look at which would be a better “investment” would be to look at it’s resale value track record.  And not to say that it could not change when you sell your rig.

Is this really a question?  Some people keep vehicles for ever, like me.  Some like to trade up every 3-5 years to have the latest and greatest things. And also to have less maintenance.  

In terms of making money.... there's nothing like real estate. 

Real estate sometimes in not a good investment.  Ask the people who bought towards the height of the bubble.  There are hundreds of thousands of people that are upside down on there home.  Also as interest rates rise, the cost of housing will more then likely go down.  Because the over all cost of ownership will will go up because there are only a couple of factors when buying.  Interest rate, which you can not control.  The house price, which you can control.  This is why the cost of houses could go down in price.

We helped a family member buy a house in Bolder, CO.  They said that property values had no where to go but up as there is a shortage because they can not really build more due to restrictions.  Years latter she went to sell it.  Took over 6 months and they sold it for little bit of a loss to get out of it.  As they were carrying two mortgages.

I didn't purchase the RV to make money....how many times do I have to say that.   But, I don't want to think that I'll never be able to to get back any money for it when I decide to sell.   

I think we all know this.  But you keep comparing a used camper to your house that gains in value.  This is why it has been brought up several times.

This is why at the end of 15 or 20 years...the house will be worth more money and the RV will be worth a fraction of the original price.   Over time things do get more expensive due to inflation.  I'll never be able to afford an RV like this 10 or 15 years from now... but as I'm in my late 60s it doesn't matter...   At least in the case of the house..I can be reasonably comfortable in knowing that it will go up rather than down in value.

More then likely true depending on when you bought it.  But not an obsolete.  Let’s say that you owned a house on the Pacific coast.  And your house and land were taken by the ocean.  Is your house worth more?  New flood zones, sink holes, some event that you can not control can take your value to $0.  Unlikely to happen but it can.  My point is, real estate is not the envestment that you think it is.  Where does the cost of maintenance and taxes come in effect?  I have no yearly taxes and maintenance as a whole is less then a house.  When a big storm comes, I can pack up and move out of the way.  You can not do that in a house.  And if you notice, storms have been getting more powerful and frequent over the last couple of years. 

I bought my truck and 5ver new.  There was no “lifetime guarantee”.  Some places might advertise it, but if you look at the fine print.  What is required to maintain it is a joke.  There are only 3 guarantees is life.  Birth, taxes and death.  

I think it is great that you have more means then most of America.  I think it is great that if someone really wants something and they do not have the cash for it, that they have the option to finance it.  So how is this bad?  So the poor to middle class should not have things they want because they do not have the means to buy it out right?  This is a HORRIABLE comment of yours.  Did you know, “The average American now has about $38,000 in personal debt, excluding home”.  I was fortunate to have saved up and bought everything outright.  But I also did not live a flamboyant life style and spent money like I was printing it.

Very true.  

Something selling used when it is still so new could also be a red flag.  Are they selling it because there are underlying issues?  I like to buy new as I know how it was maintained and the history of it.  As I keep things a while.  Maybe they bought it with the intent to full time and stopped because it was to small, did not like the lifestyle, health reasons etc...

harder to find used in excellent condition..the market value is pretty high.  

The larger you are the less fuel efficient you will be.  But I wanted the space, so it is what it is.

OK, you sucked me in.  Replies in bold.

42 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

It is if you know what you're doing.... it's all about location, location, location.....

NO, I'm not trying to diminish anyone's dream about being full time... but, you have to have eyes wide open and a plan for the eventual replacement of the coach, repairs, maintenance and breakdowns...sort of like your car only on a much grander scale.... it's a big deal.    My house...is not going to fall apart...hey...I have a second home that's 165 years old... it needs some extra TLC... but, it's still standing.....and my primary residence is almost 70 years old.....

Go ahead... tell me...or rather show me an RV that's this old ...all I can think of is one that's in a museum....

Do you ever get hassled about a 16 year old RV in some RV parks? They do that you know?

No, we have no problems weigh RV parks, of course we don’t stay in ‘high class’ resorts.  We’ve been out since 2006,  so we do know a fair bit about full timing.  I also know of people with houses that are falling apart, poorly built, they are underwater on the mortgage, wrong location, etc.  what does all of that have to do with full time RVing.  It is a different lifestyle that you can not imagine yourself doing.  We all think that is fine, just don’t understand why you are questioning our doing so? 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

Glad that I am not the only one Mark.

1 hour ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

I understand and appreciate what you saying.. it doesn't work for everyone. 

On your RV cost calculation... I presume that you paid cash for the 1998 vehicle and this included sales tax?

Like you.. I retired early to enjoy my retirement...I've told people many times that there's no point in being the richest person in Forest Lawn... 

Recently..a lifelong friend of mine passed away suddenly after a short illness... they did manage to travel some while working, but, hung onto their job for too long... It's a balance.    No one can live forever. 

No, you assume wrong.  First our rig is listed in the signature line, it is a 2002 that we purchased in 2005.   No we didn’t pay all cash because we didn’t want the big hit in taxes pulling it all out of tax deferred investments and the interest rate was less than what we made on our investments, plus our retirement cash flow was sufficient to cover the payments.    We make extensive use of membership parks which keeps our cost down.  Because you don’t know that much about fulltiming, your assumptions are way off.  I am mystified as to why you continue to try and find reasons why fulltiming is bad?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

No, we have no problems weigh RV parks, of course we don’t stay in ‘high class’ resorts.  We’ve been out since 2006,  so we do know a fair bit about full timing.  I also know of people with houses that are falling apart, poorly built, they are underwater on the mortgage, wrong location, etc.  what does all of that have to do with full time RVing.  It is a different lifestyle that you can not imagine yourself doing.  We all think that is fine, just don’t understand why you are questioning our doing so? 

Maybe he is a realtor and wants to take us all of the road and sell us a house.  As”It is if you know what you're doing.... it's all about location, location, location...”

Kind of pompass starting it’s is if you know what you are doing. Like because we are full timers we non educated people.  

He keeps stating”I'm not interested in doing this full time.. just not me.   Thanks for sharing.” So why keep posting?

19 minutes ago, rynosback said:

I think it is great that you have more means then most of America.  I think it is great that if someone really wants something and they do not have the cash for it, that they have the option to finance it.  So how is this bad?  So the poor to middle class should not have things they want because they do not have the means to buy it out right?  This is a HORRIABLE comment of yours.  Did you know, “The average American now has about $38,000 in personal debt, excluding home”.  I was fortunate to have saved up and bought everything outright.  But I also did not live a flamboyant life style and spent money like I was printing it.

Right now I like the RV and the part time experience..... however, when it's done I'll just sell it and move on. I purchased it for the experience in my retirement.... someone else said you can't take it with you... very true

Just for the record I financed my rig for about 9 months at 6 percent....and paid an additional $3,100 for this.  It adds up very quickly...if I had continued with the schedule the interest alone would have been more than $57,000...

I financed a lot of things... like you... I don't live any extravagant life style..as you put it.... quite an assumption on your part. 

I kept one car 19 years and the other car 15 years...the only reason for trading up is safety equipment and doesn't meet your needs.   The teardrop trailer became too much of a hassle for me....I did purchase that brand new... they are hard to find. 

Real estate investing....it's all location, location, location....and holding onto a property pretty much forever...... which is why I have three houses.... live in one and rent out the other two..... income property is a very good thing....

I do know and I'm aware of people who got over-extended on their loans or purchased too much house.....

Interest rates...fixed is the only way to do this....A lot of people who couldn't afford the house they wanted relied on variable interest rates and discovered that they couldn't keep up with the increased payments...  It's like the person who leases a really expensive car because they don't want to purchase a car that is really in their price range....I don't do that..I purchase something used that I can actually afford. Sounds like you do as well... congratulations.

2 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

EXACTLY!   Much nicer to read things like this than "don't know why this thread even got started", or criticism or abrasive commentary about how different people travel or what their personal satisfaction/needs/wants are.

It's interesting dialogue for so many people to see so many others varying perspectives, some of which they could relate to.   And for what very little it's worth, I agree with a prior poster - Prince Edward is a lovely little province, but we'd be the same on "why would we spend 2 months there, when so much else to see and do" ;)   

No one has been abasive or criticized him on his choice of part timing.  But why ask the question if you no interest,intent on doing it?  Kind of like me going on a Ford forum and asking why buy a F350 turbo diesel if I have no intent, interest on buying it.  It is almost like he is trolling.  There is beauty all over this world.  Some like certain areas more then others.  That is personal choice as well, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Have you read the intire thread?  He has made some very harsh demeaning comments that I would never make.  Almost like his sh@@ does not stink and we are below him.  

12 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Maybe he is a realtor and wants to take us all of the road and sell us a house.  As”It is if you know what you're doing.... it's all about location, location, location...”

Kind of pompass starting it’s is if you know what you are doing. Like because we are full timers we non educated people.  

He keeps stating”I'm not interested in doing this full time.. just not me.   Thanks for sharing.” So why keep posting?

•  

Sorry.. I didn't mean to offend anyone.....NO, I'm not a realtor..... just someone who does invest in real estate..... And, I've been "lucky" not to have purchased homes at the highest price in the market....

Here's a little piece of advice I can offer you.... buy the least expensive home in the nicest area...it's always about the location....that is everything..... And don't sell it. Find a way to keep it ..... even if you just rent it out.   Money is almost always made on inflation.... prices generally don't go down unless you purchase a home in a crime ridden area...then, people won't want to live there at any price....you can certainly lose a lot of money with that situation.

As for the RVs...in my opinion, you only need one good one....this will be my one and only RV...... after I decide to sell it... that's it.  Again, right now it's fine... but I wouldn't do it again.   

Like I said... talking about these experiences are very good and we can all learn something different from them.   Peace.

39 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Just for the record I financed my rig for about 9 months at 6 percent....and paid an additional $3,100 for this.  It adds up very quickly...if I had continued with the schedule the interest alone would have been more than $57,000...

I financed a lot of things... like you... I don't live any extravagant life style..as you put it.... quite an assumption on your part. 

Where did I state this assumption on you?  I was talking about me.  Maybe you need to reread my post.

I kept one car 19 years and the other car 15 years...the only reason for trading up is safety equipment and doesn't meet your needs.   The teardrop trailer became too much of a hassle for me....I did purchase that brand new... they are hard to find. 

Real estate investing....it's all location, location, location....and holding onto a property pretty much forever...... which is why I have three houses.... live in one and rent out the other two..... income property is a very good thing....

I do know and I'm aware of people who got over-extended on their loans or purchased too much house.....

That you are aware of.  If I was over my head I do not think I would tell friends about it.  Most of America is one paycheck from being homeless.

Interest rates...fixed is the only way to do this....A lot of people who couldn't afford the house they wanted relied on variable interest rates and discovered that they couldn't keep up with the increased payments...  It's like the person who leases a really expensive car because they don't want to purchase a car that is really in their price range....I don't do that..I purchase something used that I can actually afford. Sounds like you do as well... congratulations.

In bold in your quote are some replies.

Some people use an arm as they only intend on staying in a place for 2-3 years.  Why pay the bank more interest?  Every citation is different.  I also chose a fixed rate when I purchased my houses. Samething with leasing cars.  If someone trades a car every 2-3 years because they want the greatest and latest.  This gives them a monthly fee to do this taking out the risk of resale value.  Leasing have two main factors.  The residual (estimated value at the end of the term) and money factor (interest rate).  There are many different ways to buy things as all buyers do not fit the same mold.  There is no need to congratulate me.  I grew up in a champagne world on a beer budget.  Seeing that made me financially independent and what not to do.  

Again, I am glad that you enjoy your houses and part time RVing.

7 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I find myself wonder if the OP has a spouse pushing for fulltiming and he was hoping we'd back him up on not doing so. Thus, the continuing responses.

Linda

Good point Linda.  Makes sense to me.

Archived