How often do you use your Class B for shorter day trips or even as a second vehicle?

Roadtrek 1

We take our coach out now and then for day trips or just to exercise the rig, but, I've heard of some people using their Class B's as a second vehicle? 

Normally, we're on a weekend getaway, but not always .....and I try to take it out once every two weeks or so.  

How often do you travel when you're not on some longer distance trip? 

Back when we had a VW camper it was my daily driver. When we moved into our first real Class B we lived in it full time. When I bought my second Class B it was so I could run away from winter so I lived in it full time for seven months of the year. It was designed to only sleep one so we didn't take it out all summer. If it had a generator that needed to be exercised we would have taken it out for a long day's drive at least once a month. I would love to have another one for excursions of a few days each but Dave won't go with me and going alone is not as much fun.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

How long have you had the Sprinter? I think I recall that you said that you purchased it new?   How's the DEF system working for you?

Did you do your own conversion?   No generator?  And why won't Dave go with you... health reasons ? 

I had the last Sprinter 3 years before I sold it. The DEF was fine as long as I could talk someone into lifting that jug for me. I am NOT strong.

I bought my Sprinter new through a dealer that works with Sportsmobile to get the vehicle from the dealer to the conversion shop. Sportsmobile did the conversion to my design. Their DYO system uses cut and paste to arrange components where you want them. I still go play with their online version every now and then just because it is fun.

I don't like propane. I had my roof pretty much covered with solar panels so everything ran off either batteries or my diesel fuel tank. If I was buying new now I would probably buy a RoadTrek with the eTrek package. I still don't like their small black tank but at least they have a macerator so I wouldn't have to pull valves.

Dave needs to be in close communication with his local community. I didn't realize how strong that need was when we left. I'm lucky he even gave me three years of RVing. His group has get togethers most Fridays and some other days every month so it would be hard to work in trips in between. I used to be part of that group before my health caused limitations so I understand what he gets from them; I'm willing to support that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...

Archived