Did you rent a rig before you purchased it? And why did you purchase a Class B?

Roadtrek 1

Class Bs, and especially used models, are hard to find....we saw many at first that were either too old / beat up or too many miles.........

We thought about renting one, but, the costs were so prohibitive....on a weekly basis...

So, we just took the plunge, kept looking and purchased one. 

I test drove a couple of B+ models...but the smaller B felt like such a great fit. 

B+ models are really registered as Class C's.... they certainly have more space, but, the overhang of the body and the constant maintenance of the roof seams turned me off. I'd rather have a vehicle that was made at the factory and just converted on the inside.   The cutaway frames of the Class B+/ Class C's didn't quite work for me. 

What's your story?   

We rented a Class C several years before we purchased a Class B. That B turned out to be too small for two of us so we traded it for a Class C. Once Dave was done traveling I bought another Class B designed for just me for snowbird season and it was just the right size.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We bought a Class B+ built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis.  It isn't a "cut away" frame as you put it, but an RV custom built.  Really, to my way of thinking, a B+ is just a Class C with an entertainment center integrated with the cab instead of a sleeping space.  We bought ours used from a 2nd owner individual in Florida who provided all maintenance records and new tire receipts so we mostly knew what we were getting.  It takes a lot of looking but research pays off.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

To the best of my knowledge the manufacturer of the Sprinters built on the Class B+ platform like your coach start with a cab chassis from Mercedes Benz that is cutaway and the coach builder constructs the entire box behind the driver and passenger compartment of the truck.   This is slightly different than just modifying the interior space of a cargo van from the factory.   The coach builder manufacturer uses fiberglass materials to make the rear of the vehicle that is generally wider than the original vehicle.   It certainly has more space and overhang than a standard Mercedes Benz Sprinter van.   Class B pluses especially those without the cab over bunk bed are more aerodynamic than those with the bed in the front.  

Nice looking rig.    I seriously considered purchasing a Winnebago Navion with the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.....   Yes, I agree purchasing used is a very good idea. 

How many miles were on your 2012 when you acquired it. 

Good luck with your rig. 

• 4 months later...

Fulltimed 1999-2007; last 6 yrs in a 40' Alfa See Ya MH. Now, wanted to do some Natl/State park visits, plus sightseeing and decided on the class B format. Wanted shorter, rear sofa and bought our Pleasureway Lexor FL in April. Four 4 to 5 day stays have convinced us that this was a great choice. Just under 21',able to park with the cars, AND back out! We didn't rent before hand but did spend time at dealers lots sitting in and walking around the model. 

• 3 months later...

I purchased a used Class C. It suited our needs at the time but did have typical problems. This year we purchased a new Coachman Class B. The reason for the Class B is that we did not want to again have a toad. To much hassle to connect the toad and finding parking. We can park the Class B any where. The type of traveling we do is to visit civil war battle fields or other interesting places.  WE would then spend a night in a camp ground or boondock and travel to the next place.

13 minutes ago, JJ&NA said:

I purchased a used Class C. It suited our needs at the time but did have typical problems. This year we purchased a new Coachman Class B.

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our previous Class C was a Winnebago View that was 24-feet long. We did not tow a car. My later Class B was built on the same platform thus was the same length as the Class C.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 months later...

No, I just jumped in and bought a "B".  After 4 years in a Class A, and my divorce, I was ready for something more compact, easy to drive and park.  With me and my dog, there is still lots of room.  It does get more cozy when my girlfriend joins us though, so I think that is the comfort limit.

2011 Roadtrek 190 Popular

North Carolina