Hopper 3 Hard Drive Failure

Zulu

After 3 years my Hopper 3 hard drive gave up the ghost. I got a "Hard Drive Error 311" message that in a nutshell said I'm screwed -- all recordings are lost & I can only watch live TV. So I contacted DISH and they sent a replacement Hopper 3.

I think my drive had been failing for a while as I'd get sound drop outs during live TV --- that's the tell-tale sign.

Anyway, I'll be ever more diligent to disconnect my H3 before moving our RV.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

It is too bad that Dish policy doesn't provide for backup of programs, meaning a copy on the internal disk and a copy on an external drive. 

I think if Dish thought enough about it, they could come up with a coded interlock that lets you have a backup disk drive that would only be useful when connected to yor subscription.

As it is, I trust the internal disk more than an external.  The only time I have used and external was to transfer from a Hopper 1 to a Hopper 3.

Was the sound drop-off permanent, i.e. dropped if you backup too or only during play?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

3 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

It is too bad that Dish policy doesn't provide for backup of programs, meaning a copy on the internal disk and a copy on an external drive.

Can't blame DISH for this. If I was careful, I would have maintained a backup.

3 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Was the sound drop-off permanent, i.e. dropped if you backup too or only during play?

Not sure.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

23 hours ago, Zulu said:

Anyway, I'll be ever more diligent to disconnect my H3 before moving our RV.

Just upgrading to H3 wonder what disconnect you refer to ? Power removed? 

Any other suggestions for travel? 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, Zulu said:

Can't blame DISH for this. If I was careful, I would have maintained a backup.

I just recently had the same thing happen to my VIP612 DVR receiver.  Not only did the sound drop off, the receiver itself would just turn off and then reboot.

How do you maintain a backup of what you've recorded...or is this something that can only be done with the Hopper (I lost all the stuff I'd recorded, too).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I have a external harddrive and with the h3 anyway you can record to either harddrive,  and you can move shows from one to the other. I think I had it on my 720 and my parents have a 2 something with external only. You can get the drive from dish but it's nothing special and many external drives will work.

My h3  has lost picture but not sound a couple of times, on Netflix I think, I probably should do another backup. 

The problem is that there is no backup.  Backup means you have the primary recording on one media and a backup of the same recording on another media.

With Dish, you can have the recording on only one media, so there is no backup.

Not really Dish's fault, it is the complex rules by the media producers to prevent you from making multiple copies of a program and then distributing them.

I think a key to your account should recording on the DVR and on an external drive such the external drive recording can only play if attached to your account.  This type of key allows a external drive on a VIP 211 to be move between VIP 211s on the same account.  But again that is just one copy of the program

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived