Traveling Vet

RamblinRec

Ok guys,,oh and Dennis too...😉

I have been looking into the Traveling Vet program but the info I am getting from the VA is well....sketchy ...at best

I'm SCI so it is a concern that there is support if needed.    ya know ?

I have heard good and bad....any insights ?

Traveling vet program?  Friends of mine travel to different states quite often.  When they stop/stay in a state, they register with that state's VA, then go on as normal.  Depends on the clinic/hospitals, they are all slow about getting appts in, but they can.   Never had a problem.  Or you referring to something else?  For my meds, etc, they tell me to give them a temp address and they will send my meds to me regardless of what state, etc I'm at.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Hey,

All I have heard up to now is there IS a program...but its very restrictive...we just can't drop into a VA somewhere when we have a problem as it always has been.

I'd like to stay Nomad ...for now.... time is ticking and I'm not getting any younger...how then again,  how much longer can I actually do this...its alot of hardware to be dragging down the road at my age.....alone

I actually feel bad for leaving where I am now...this VA SCI unit has treated me very well...

2 hours ago, RamblinRec said:

I actually feel bad for leaving where I am now...this VA SCI unit has treated me very well...

Why feel bad?  It's your life, live it how you want.  Have to admit though, I don't know what SCI is.  Specialty care only available at specialty VA hospitals?  And I'm hoping your wrong about not dropping in where you need to.  VA is, or should be universal all over the US.  There are lots of vets on here, maybe someone knows?  I don't as I have not had to use anywhere but here, well, once and Tricare actually covered me.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Travelinbob

I believe she is.

RamblinRec

I lived in the SCI world for most of my time in the Army so when I see SCI I always think of it from a Intelligence stand point.  Was not making light of your injury.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Birdman,  I hope I am wrong also...but we do know that that VA up to now has been anything but one big happy family...

Im in Tampa ..for now....and the next closest VA is Bay Pines in St. Pete... 20 miles away....they can't even access each others records.. which is very sad, cause Bay Pines is Regional VISN headquarters for the whole SE of Florida.

I'm heading out in a couple weeks...the VA thinks I have lost whats left of my mind for even attempting it....yea well its all their fault if someone finds me toes  up somewhere...they literally beat it into us...  to NEVER give up.....right ?

49 minutes ago, RamblinRec said:

Birdman,  I hope I am wrong also...but we do know that that VA up to now has been anything but one big happy family...

Im in Tampa ..for now....and the next closest VA is Bay Pines in St. Pete... 20 miles away....they can't even access each others records.. which is very sad, cause Bay Pines is Regional VISN headquarters for the whole SE of Florida.

I'm heading out in a couple weeks...the VA thinks I have lost whats left of my mind for even attempting it....yea well its all their fault if someone finds me toes  up somewhere...they literally beat it into us...  to NEVER give up.....right ?

Southern VA hospitals.. now that does leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Specifically, one in the peach state.  If they had done their job.... a friend that lived there might still be alive.  I have heard they don't talk to each other, that's why my friend that travels alot, always stops in each state and registers with them.  I'll start doing that soon myself but in 3 years I'll be using medicare instead, I hope it's good.  Until then, since I'm retired mil, I have tri-care to fall back on.  That it's self is another can of worms but they are there, mostly....  Don't care what the VA thinks about it, enjoy your life, live it your way, not theirs.  Now, if there are issues that need treatment, or constant treatment, by all means plan where your going and arrange for it before hand so you don't do without.  Most days I think well of the (local, ND) VA, they have treated me quite well, but there are moments....

It's teats up! <grin>

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived