Nervous and Scared

RamblinRec

Hello ,

Where do I start,,I don't do this forum thing very often but here goes.....

Ramblin Rec is actually the name of my parents Camping club from the 60s-70s...which was a 

charter from NCHA...National Campers and Hikers Assoc.

So I have been involved in this lifestyle since I was a little girl... so I am not new to the lifestyle...

but I am about to undertake a new one....going from sitting in a park for way too many years 

in a OLD class A that became the park queen...but she served me very well over the years to....

My new challenge is with a complete new rig,   and going on the road full time.. 

Call it the grand leap of faith from this park to....on my own..its scarey....where am I going to park tonight...tomorrow

The plan is to head out of Florida end of Feb. and then head west...slowly...then work north as weather permits..

I've heard that I-10 heading west out of Florida is a real roller coaster ride......to AVOID....

any idea, convoys. comments, advice ?

My advice is to relax and enjoy. there is nothing to be scared or nervous about.  I guess any form of change is scary to some, but keep in mind that over 100,000 folks are doing the same thing you plan to and they have no problem finding a spot before tucking in for the night.

There are almost unlimited options as far as where to stay for the night. Do you prefer commercial campgrounds, off grid boondocking, or parking lots? Most of us use a combination of those options. You can find online resources that list all types of RV overnight stops. You can find very thick printed books that list campgrounds or boondocking sites all over the country. It just takes a few minutes of research and maybe a phone call or two if you want a reserved spot.  

As for I-10, it used to have very bad pavement mostly in Louisiana, but most of the very bad stretches have been repaved over the last few years. I live out west but drive I-10 to Florida and back every winter to my sailboat. Its not a bad drive at all, just a bit boring. If you're trying to get from A to B in a short time the Interstates work best. If you have the time & desire to go slower and do more exploring along the way, then the secondary roads work well.

Jim

Welcome to this forum. You'll get any questions answered. Any change in life is scary but trust me, you'll do just fine.  As far as I-10, I'd recommend you don't take interstates. Take secondary roads and you'll see more of this beautiful country. You shouldn't be in a hurry and only drive 200-300 miles per day, if that. The small towns sometimes have nice little quiet campgrounds to stay.  There are also plenty of state parks or other public campgrounds to stay.

There are many women traveling alone and there are some RV groups just for them. You might want to check them out. They usually have some group get togethers around the country at various times and do activities together, have potlucks and hash out any problems they may have.  After the group gathering they take off in various directions. Some break off into smaller groups or in twos and travel together.  There's also a group for men and women but it's NOT a dating group. It's just RVers wanting to share experiences and most are 55+.

https://www.rvingwomen.org/default.aspx

https://rvsingles.org/

http://lonersonwheels.com/index.html

You're in for a lot of fun, seeing awesome places and enjoying a good lifestyle.  You'll do just fine!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Why is this thread on the Veterans Forum?  This thread should be up in general RVing questions!  I see this is her first post.  This forum is for US Military Veterans not RVing Veterans.  You will get way better answers if you ask the question in the right forum.  Have safe travels.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Rambling,

I feel better in the company of vets too. Welcome! Dennis is OK too. This is the right place for any vet interested in RVing. Are you retired from the military with a pension like I am with 27 years USAF? Did you get any VA disability rating? The fear is lessened a lot with medical coverage and an ID card that gets you into Military on base FamCamp parks. Only active, retired, some civilians at some bases, and medically retired with 100% and an ID card.

What exactly do you want to know in bite size pieces. You obviously are ahead of other noobs because you already know your water and sewage systems, electrical, heat, AC systems, and the absorption refrigerator unless you use a home compressor reefer unit.

You would get many more answers in the beginning RVing section. Lots of folks only use the RVing section. But here is OK too. Ask away and we'll try.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

12 hours ago, RamblinRec said:

Dennis,

You may be right, this is not the proper forum...but I am also a military Vet... just sayin

Welcome to the Escapee forums. While many of us are veterans here, there are many good folks who are not also and most of them do not participate in the vet forums. I would suggest that you may want to make a similar post on the General forum. We also have more than a few single members who travel alone and have done so for years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

RamblinRec

As a retired USA Master Sergeant it is a given that I have lots of talents but being clairvoyant is not one of them.  No where in your original post did you say that you were a US Military Veteran.  No where in your original post did you ask any questions about or regarding what this forum is generally about which is US Military Veteran Issues not Camping issues regardless of weather you are a Veteran or not.  So let us begin again.  Welcome to Escapees.  Thank You for your service.  I believe you will find most of your questions answered in the General RVing Forum or by using the search feature.  Have a nice day.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

RamblinRec

No problem.  Regarding the Walmart parking issue.  It really depends on the locations.  So many RVer's have free loaded and abused the free overnight parking at Walmart  by setting up camp in the parking lot for days that city fathers have put an end to it in lots of locations by passing city laws saying you can't do that or that Walmart is no longer allowed to provide free over night parking.  Lots of those locations have RV parks that are or were sitting empty because Walmart was allowing their parking lots to become free RV Parks thus depriving those RV parks in the area of their source of income.  So it just depends where you are at.  Again lots of discussion about just this type of issue and this subjects up in the General RVing thread.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Archived