Value of Truck

53wlee53

I'm thinking about going from MDT with 5th wheel to Motor home. Does anyone know where I can find the fair market value of my truck. I've looked around the internet some to no avail. I've looked on a few truck for sale sites, but thats not a good reference. Any help is appreciated.

Wayne

2009 Freightliner M2-106 Crewcab

8.3 Cummins 330/1000- Allison 3000RDS

2003 Newmar MountainAire 39 SDTS

• 2 weeks later...

I tried that when I was looking at class 8's..trying to figure out a good price..  could not find any rhyme or reason for some of the prices.

I suspect the same will be for our trucks..  you have to add a bit for rarity.. I am guessing that I have put on 10K miles in the 4+ months we have been  in the US (Maine to Az) and we have seen 3 MTDs for towing Rv';s and horse trailers and one was from Canada.  Cannlot figure out where they all are ?

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

From what I understand the average RVer drives about 5k a year. So they aren't on the road much. I've seen more MDT than HDT towing 5th wheels. Maybe I look more for MDTs. The first HDT I saw was in November 08, Arches National Park. A Volvo. I think looking back it may have ben Jack Myer.

Wayne

2009 Freightliner M2-106 Crewcab

8.3 Cummins 330/1000- Allison 3000RDS

2003 Newmar MountainAire 39 SDTS

The value anybody reads out of a book will not take into account any mods you have done, nor the actual condition of it. You want to nail a value? Pay a qualified RV appraiser to  do a workup w/ pictures etc. I had mine done last year when painted, cost me $250. If you have a "total loss" (not crashed) like a theft or complete burn, it's the only way you will get anywhere NEAR what it's worth, on the record and by an independent 3rd party.   And yes, you can take that to the bank, literally.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

• 3 weeks later...

I had my HDT appraised by Deep Space Lighting on this site.  He did an extensive job and professional write up.  My insurance company wanted this in order to insure the truck, my semi is a little unique (pictures in tag line).  Well worth the money spent, I will use this to support my future sale if ever.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

On 3/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, 53wlee53 said:

From what I understand the average RVer drives about 5k a year. So they aren't on the road much. I've seen more MDT than HDT towing 5th wheels. Maybe I look more for MDTs. The first HDT I saw was in November 08, Arches National Park. A Volvo. I think looking back it may have ben Jack Myer.

Yeah probably was us. We worked there and tended to hang out in Moab. We got our first Volvo in 2003. Double towed a Jeep for over 8 years - thus the "Moab Lifestyle". 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 3 years later...

May be outa line but just beginning HDT for 5ver dragging.  When attained my Project I insured it to keep from losing invested time and money, was cheap thru my Farm Insurer.  He has been notified truck is about to be Inspected and Licensed, First time in 8 years but roadworthy.  He asked full specs and total dollars I had invested not including my time to rebuild.  Ended up he appraised at a really HIGH dollar figure I did not expect yet my Insurance as a PERSONAL Conveyance will only be close to what most dually draggers cost.

I am pretty proud of what I accomplished to get it here.

Edited by ddm502001
misspell

2 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

I am pretty proud of what I accomplished to get it here.

As you should be.  You have something most do not, a truck that you are familiar with, inside and out.  That's huge when something goes wrong, and it will, out on the road.

This is not a cheap game we play.  Just enjoy the ride.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net