AC7880

One night trip SD for hotel receipt (drivers license renewal)

I am already a SD resident with a real ID act  SD drivers license.

I need to make a quick one night trip to ANY South Dakota Airport with a decent close by hotel in order to get the receipt no older than one year so I can renew on line. 

Flying from Huntsville AL on or about 2 April.  Any advice on which airport / hotel to use? Bonus if I can go to DMV while at the hotel, but not absolutely necessary.  Thanks for any leads.

Have no experience, but there is a Sleep Inn behind the driver's license place on Russel Street in Sioux Falls.  About 3 miles from the airport.

I used this DMV a couple of years ago.  Went in when they opened in the morning and walked out about 20 minutes later.

3 minutes ago, pfhays said:

Have no experience, but there is a Sleep Inn behind the driver's license place on Russel Street in Sioux Falls.  About 3 miles from the airport.

I used this DMV a couple of years ago.  Went in when they opened in the morning and walked out about 20 minutes later.

Thanks!

Souix Falls and Rapid City are the two largest cities in SD. No personal knowledge regarding Souix Falls but the DMV in Rapid City is just a few miles from the airport and their are plenty of hotels in the area. 

I use Rapid City. The airport is close to town. Lots of hotels. I stay at Americas Mailbox since they have rooms for rent for their members (in addition to their own campground). The local DMV office is just a few miles south and rarely busy if you go in the morning; and they're used to dealing with fulltimers. 

Edit, just a reminder, some of the SD DMV offices are closed on Mondays

Edited by JRP

Thanks all for the replies. We re-did our schedules, and now plan to take the motorhome to SD the last week of April.  We had different plans, but adapted to get the renewals accomplished. 

2 hours ago, AC7880 said:

Thanks all for the replies. We re-did our schedules, and now plan to take the motorhome to SD the last week of April.  We had different plans, but adapted to get the renewals accomplished. 

It probably won't snow then but do make sure you have plenty of fuel for your furnace. Here in the Minneapolis area we have had snow that late in the year a few times. I hope all goes well for your trip.

Linda Sand

I have been in Rapid City the last week of April and many times in May. Although uncommon it does snow up intil the middle of May at times. There are many campgrounds to stay in in the area. America’s Mailbox has their own campground. I usually stay nearby in Custer State Park. 

One of our favorite getaway four day weekends, was to renew our DL's. We flew from San Diego to Denver, rented a car, drove to Cheyenne to spend the 1st evening. Next day we drove to near Spearfish and stayed in a cabin at the Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort. Got our receipt, and elected to take a drive over to get our DL's renewed in person, and drop in on Americas Mailbox to say hello to the gang. Third day we cruised around and visited our favorite places in the region. Fourth day up early and pedal to the medal run back to the Denver airport, for an evening flight back to San Diego. 

We found the cost to fly into Denver was so much less, it covered the costs of our hotels, so a wash. And we had a blast... This was late October 2018, and an early blizzard was hitting the region. The drive from Denver to Cheyenne was blanketed in snow, and we were lucky that the day we drove in, the semi's started rolling again as a whiteout, and iced I25, had cleared. 

What was really cool, is that when went to Budget to get our car, by pure luck the gent helping us was the Manager. We said we were from San Diego, and were apprehensive about driving in snow/ice conditions. Asked if he had any AWD vehicles we might be able to rent. He said give me a minute, went out and talked to one of his staff, and came back in. Said lets get you paper work done, I have a vehicle coming up now for you. We did the paper work, and he asked me if I wanted Sirius/XM activated in the car, said he could due if for the four day rental for $20 for us. I said sure (Did not know that that was a discount, should have been quite a bit more.). He said our car was out front, let me walk out and familiarize you with the vehicle. WOW!!! He'd upgraded us from a reserved Altima, to an Audi A8L with Quatro... My wife and I had more fun driving, flipping a coin at times to see who was going to drive, that car!!! It really made the trip effortless. And I admit on a stretch North of Cheyenne the next day, open long sweeping stretch of road where we could see for miles, I opened it up just a tad... 115MPH felt like 65MPH in our Honda:)! Poised, suspension auto set into sport mode. And even with an occasional spurt above posted speeds, we averaged a manually calculated 28MPG for the trip... 

Yep, the scenery was as always fantastic, but we both feel the A8 upgrade made this a unique trip experience for us:)! 

-----

One thing I need to confess, is I can't keep accurate count of the years as I should. Earlier that year, we drove thru Cheyenne in our RV, on the way to Fort Collins area and two month stay in Colorado, hitting various regions of the state. It would have been was to do a one or two day detour to South Dakota on that trip, and for out overnight receipt. But I thought it was next year that we needed to do our DL's renewals... I blew the math on the years:)! But, it made for a great experience for sure:)! 

Best to all, have fun, be safe,

Smitty