Upgrading Battery Monitor Or...?

aztex

Howdy,

Over in the Airstream forum (I have a Sport 22FB) a Victron or similar battery monitor is highly advised but they look a little tricky to install. I can't even determine for sure where my cables enter and no help on absolute identification before I start clipping wires.

My set up as-is is a factory installed 180 watt solar panel and factory Sun Explorer II monitor system.

I understand the need is so you don't deplete the batteries (I have two 12v AGM's wired together) too low where they are damaged. 

While a nice Bluetooth hard wired monitor would be nice is there a way use a multi-meter or another specific device to gauge battery health by going outside and temporarily attaching directly to batteries?

Thanks,

Az Tex

You can use a multi meter [on dc volts] to give you a very general reading. Resting voltage of 12.2 is about 50% state of charge and battery should be recharged. Taking battery below 12.2 volts will shorten its life. Fully charged batteries should be about 12.7 or 8 at rest.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

While it isn't the most accurate way to measure and it isn't very convenient to do so properly, I strongly suggest reading this battery maintenance article from Trojan Battery Company before you get too far into your planning. Another article that might be helpful to you is The 12V Side of Life by Mark Nemeth. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, aztex said:

Howdy,

Over in the Airstream forum (I have a Sport 22FB) a Victron or similar battery monitor is highly advised but they look a little tricky to install. I can't even determine for sure where my cables enter and no help on absolute identification before I start clipping wires.

My set up as-is is a factory installed 180 watt solar panel and factory Sun Explorer II monitor system.

I understand the need is so you don't deplete the batteries (I have two 12v AGM's wired together) too low where they are damaged. 

While a nice Bluetooth hard wired monitor would be nice is there a way use a multi-meter or another specific device to gauge battery health by going outside and temporarily attaching directly to batteries?

Thanks,

Az Tex

It's actually very easy to install the Victron Battery monitor and I highly recommend it. It will come with a shunt that will go on your neg battery post between and wires that go out to a load in the battery. Basically, you'll need one small piece of wire with lugs to connect to one side of the shunt and the battery and move all the other wires leaving the battery to the other side of the shunt. There is one very small power wire to run from the shunt to a positive connection on the battery, and finally an RJ-11 cord that comes with it that will run from the shunt to where ever you put the battery monitor. If you get the bluetooth version (BMV-712), the battery monitor screen can be anywhere. 

This battery monitor is really the only way to know the SOC (state of charge) of your batteries and know when you get them to 50% and charged back up to 100%. It's well worth the investment to protect your batteries. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

10 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

It's actually very easy to install the Victron Battery monitor and I highly recommend it.

Thanks..

But in my 2019 Airstream sport it is a spaghetti system of wires stuffed under the bed. I think I identified the negative wire that is directly from the batteries but still have to make sure.

Also I already determined I'd have to remove the top of the bed platform etc to make it easy to get at...

So while simple not easy or as straight forward as I thought it'd be. I'll do it eventually but too much of a hassle now.

Thanks,

Az Tex

Archived