TRAFFIC ALERT / Interstate 10, east of Houston

Big5er

In case anyone is traveling westbound into Houston, I-10 at the San Jacinto River (Exit 786, 787?) is reduced from 3 lanes to 1 lane until further notice. A barge struck the bridge and took out a column on the south side. This is not gonna be a quick or easy repair. You might wanna find a way around Houston. Highway 90 to the north is a decent option if traveling all the way across Houston, toward San Antonio. Hitting Hwy 90 in Beaumont isn't terrible. 
The eastbound lanes are (so far) not affected. The last time this happened ('94) they merged the 3 eastbound and the 3 westbound, into 2 lanes each way, all on the eastbound bridge. That was a nightmare at rush hour and that was 24 years ago. Traffic is a lot worse now.

News article here.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Westbound traffic entering Texas from Louisiana are being encouraged to take US90 west from Beaumont.  I assume that many are and that makes US90 a route to be avoided also.  I would suggest anyone traveling through Houston on IH10 to take another route further north other than US90.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

46 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I would suggest anyone traveling through Houston on IH10 to take another route further north other than US90.

Such as?? If you are traveling through Houston, there aren't many options unless tiny back roads, lots of turns and frequent stops or a lot of extra miles, to go way around, are your idea of a better way. Hwy 90 will be  a bit more crowded, but is easily doable. So far it has not experienced any real back ups. 

2014 smart Fortwo

46 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Such as?? If you are traveling through Houston, there aren't many options unless tiny back roads, lots of turns and frequent stops or a lot of extra miles, to go way around, are your idea of a better way. Hwy 90 will be  a bit more crowded, but is easily doable. So far it has not experienced any real back ups. 

I would say it depends on where you are and where you are going.  US90 gets very congested starting in Devers, Ames, Liberty, and Dayton with normal traffic.  Parts of it are still two lane.  I can imagine what it's like through there if 50% of IH10 traffic is diverted onto US90.

Today, US90 West from IH10 in Beaumont was bumper to bumper from light to light.  I can imagine that it will only get worse as word gets out.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I would take either Texas 105, US190, or even IH20 from east to west if the starting point and destination so agree.  If you have to stay close to Houston, so be it.  I would probably stay on IH10 then take 146 south around to 225 to get into Houston.  You would know that area better, how is that route holding up?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Or if you have lots of time drop down to Freeport and go across Galveston Island and take the ferry to Point Bolivar and up to I10 at Winnie. We always enjoy that route!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

9 hours ago, chirakawa said:

If you have to stay close to Houston, so be it.  I would probably stay on IH10 then take 146 south around to 225 to get into Houston.  You would know that area better, how is that route holding up?

225 has it's own issues with construction at Beltway 8 so it's not really a great option. 

Luckily TxDOT restriped the bridge yesterday and turned the right shoulder into a traffic lane so there are two lanes flowing westbound. The entrance ramp coming out of Highlands is still closed but that shouldn't really bother the flow of the freeway.

They are claiming that repairs will only take "several weeks". We'll see. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived