using a mysocialsecurity online account

justyn__thyme

If I set up one of these online accounts, can I obtain my annual Social Security 1099 online instead of via the mail?

Can I also respond to the annual questionaire (change of citizenship/marriage status/time worked) online or will I still have to respond to a paper form?

There is no answer to these questions on the SocSec website and I don't want to spend 3 hours on hold calling them if I can avoid it.

to Justyn_Thyme

I really don't understand your questions?  Why ask this on a RV site and not a SSA site?  go to MySocialSecurity page (you don't need to have an account to use search and menu option)  and click on Search type Marriage and

marriage, name change, & benefits, proof. click on one and read.

Citizenship, status update, status, status change. and read.

click on meu icon and type 1099 and look at answers, answer will be yes.

for a Benefits statement not on line use SSA form SSA-7004 and mail. takes about 4-6 weeks 

So maybe you can explain why I was able to find this info, but you were not able to!

I found every question you asked but did not answer all of them here, since you have been unable to explain why you can't find them.  Also one last question/statement, list the nearest SSA office to you and explain why you can not make an appointment to ask your questions direct, and then maybe post your answers here for all to know.  

If not then maybe this is just a fraud/spammer looking for junk!!!!!

9 hours ago, justyn__thyme said:

If I set up one of these online accounts, can I obtain my annual Social Security 1099 online instead of via the mail?

Can I also respond to the annual questionaire (change of citizenship/marriage status/time worked) online or will I still have to respond to a paper form?

There is no answer to these questions on the SocSec website and I don't want to spend 3 hours on hold calling them if I can avoid it.

Yes, you can get it online.  They will STILL send the 1099 to you via snail mail.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

35 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes, you can get it online.  They will STILL send the 1099 to you via snail mail.  

Yes they do, but it's nice getting them quicker online so I can get our filing done while waiting for our snail mail to catch up to us. I finished our taxes today using nothing but online available documentation and filing..

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:05 AM, justyn__thyme said:

OK, I have to ask...what annual questionnaire?  I've been receiving SS for 10 years now and have never filled out any type of questionnaire, other than, perhaps, when I first applied.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

11 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Interesting that while the person who began the thread was back yesterday, no further information or response???

Not at all surprising, considering the responses. Online forums can be somewhat blunt on occasion, especially when dealing with an unknown. Jay

i live outside the USA. Every year, I receive a form from SSA that asks if my marital status or citizenship have changed. It also asked how much many hours per month I worked, if any. The penalty for not filling this out and sending it in on time is that they will stop my social security benefits. Maybe this form is only applicable to people living outside the USA. I asked the local Federal Benefits Office in the country where I currently live and they told me I would have to fill this form out for the rest of my life. I assumed everyone did. Evidently not.

I was not back on the forum immediately because (a) I really do not appreciate smart mouthed responses like the one lecturing me as if I were a small child and (b) it takes too long to log back into this site. For some reason, i have to reset my password every time I log in, even though I reset it to the same password I used the previous time.

It appears that i will have to contact my local Federal Benefits office again about the annual form. Thanks to everyone about the 1099 info. 

Consider this thread closed.

10 minutes ago, justyn__thyme said:

I really do not appreciate smart mouthed responses

I'm not sure what response the OP considered "smart mouthed" but he did ask questions that simple Google searches would have answered so if he thought we were being condescending maybe because we automatically assumed he wasn't particularly computer-literate and were trying to offer detailed explanations.  

FWIW, here's an explanation relative to his question about the annual questionnaire he receives.  It is only for Americans living abroad.

https://www.americansabroad.org/social-security-faq/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The mysocialsecurity website is fighting hackers attacks that have penetrated some of their security software programs.https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/mysocialsecurity/

Anyone can block access electronic to their SS account: https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/IPS_INTR/blockaccess as a final safety measure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, staffnon said:

to Justyn_Thyme

I really don't understand your questions?  Why ask this on a RV site and not a SSA site?  go to MySocialSecurity page (you don't need to have an account to use search and menu option)  and click on Search type Marriage and

So maybe you can explain why I was able to find this info, but you were not able to!

This is the reason the OP didn't return at first.  Answers like this are unacceptable.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I think the OP was nice. Staffnon, is that kind of condescension really necessary?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Hi I am back me staffnon.  It is a shame that the OP did not explain this at the beginning and a lot of  his/her post. But I gave clear and direct info and then also asked for clarification of why an RV site and not SSA.

ssa.gov/foreigne/foregin.htm gives a lot of info

travel.state.gov also gives a lot of info on ssa benefits while overseas.

irs.gov also covers living overseas and explains what benefits and regulations are required to be followed while living overseas 

both sites cover and explain the annual questioner  

All the above info I found by going to their web sites without logging in. for exact forms and direct documentation about self (him/her) they do require log in.

also any U.S. Embassy or Consulate listed on travel.state.gov has info available.

So again asking why an RV site and not one of sites that cover living overseas?

Hi me again staffnon.  OP joined 2015, now first post 2019.  maybe he/she likes to read and follow RV traveling in the USA/Canada/Mexico and the ins and outs of RV living lifestyle and sites/places to visit and enjoy.  OUTSTANDING this site has great info on all things traveling and living the RV lifestyle.

people ask questions about a problem (plumbing/leveling/noise in A/C, engine,  refer) and the first response back (more info) make/year/model/brand to help narrow down problem and get  correct info. And 100% + times  the correct info is given and or a direct link is given for exact wording and requirements for problem.

So initial indirect questions got us here. and direct clarification got us here.

Again great site for RV and lifestyle of/in traveling in the Americas.

P.S. I joined 2011, read site about every other day +- but only log in to answer if I am sure I can contribute to the OP's question with hopeful correct links and info.  

Archived