Directv Standard Def going bye bye

We are with three TVs, DirecTV aka ATT. We have a dish on the roof of our fiver now and love it. We own two RV lots in the UP of MI were we spend five months each summer and unless you get your own internet you can't stream movies or shows using the parks internet. It can't handle it.

Howdy!

We stopping using our satellite over a year ago with DirecTV. We started streaming everything DirecTV Now, Netflix’s and Amazon Prime. We use unlimited AT&T plus plan and recently pickup a new MiFi prepaid unlimited plan with Verizon. It’s work great even on our trip to Alaska last year. Also nice not to have to worry about where to setup regarding trees and such.

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

4 hours ago, LarryN said:

Maybe nobody is doing Sat TV anymore??

Lots of folks still using Sat TV.  and lots of folks still using SD equipment for DTV. How long, depends on which rumors you believe. Some leaked internal docs say mid 2019, others say April 2019. Some say DTV has begun sending notices to SD customers advising them that they will need to upgrade their DTV receivers by April 2019. I have not yet received any such notice.

What seems to have been clarified in some of these leaked internal docs, is that SAT 101 (SD service) is not going away, but being converted from SD to HD service. So our old satelite dishes will still work for 101, but we will need an HD recvr, H24 or H25 to receive channels once this conversion takes place. Which specific channels, all or some, that will be on the converted SAT 101 is not yet known.

Jim

I have an HD dish on my home. All of my receivers (4) are HD so will not likely be getting a notice to upgrade my receivers. My issue is with the physical dish that I carry in the old GMC MH. I have installed all of my home equipment and the HD dish is a bit more of a challenge then the SD. The SD is "good enough" for us on the road. I have the equipment to set up an HD dish, and I have one sitting in my hangar from my river cabin which I have sold....that is not the issue. It is physically larger than the SD dish and space to lug this dish and a larger tripod.......not wanting to do that.

Yesterday I "refreshed" my two RV receivers hooking them up to my home (HD) dish. All good but some of my favorites (Smithsonian, Motortrend.....) are HD only. (Note: my RV receivers are set up for an SD dish).

I was just reaching out to see if there was any up to date "dish" on this subject (can't believe I said that.

Larry

Edited by LarryN

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

We just bought a new to us 2009 Monaco with a King dish on the roof. we asked about getting satellite installed and they tell us the dish is no good, a tailgater wont be any good in a couple of months and it's $2100 to update the whole thing to work on HD!! We don't have unlimited data so I guess we'll be watching OTA and DVD's from the thrift stores again!!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

23 minutes ago, scouserl41 said:

We just bought a new to us 2009 Monaco with a King dish on the roof. we asked about getting satellite installed and they tell us the dish is no good, a tailgater wont be any good in a couple of months and it's $2100 to update the whole thing to work on HD!! We don't have unlimited data so I guess we'll be watching OTA and DVD's from the thrift stores again!!

BnB

Why won't a Tailgator by any good, it's for Dish Network not Direct.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

19 hours ago, JRP said:

So our old satelite dishes will still work for 101, but we will need an HD recvr, H24 or H25 to receive channels once this conversion takes place. Which specific channels, all or some, that will be on the converted SAT 101 is not yet known.

From the "leaked documents" it appears that most channels will be available on the 101 satellite but there will be some others on the 119 but that is one that many existing systems can receive.

From what I've read most of what will be on 99 and 103 will be local channels for the various markets.

Your receiver choices aren't restricted to just the ones you have listed.  Many of us use "Genies" (HR44 and HR54) and some are even using the "Genie II"(HS17).  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

We just bought a new to us 2009 Monaco with a King dish on the roof. we asked about getting satellite installed and they tell us the dish is no good, a tailgater wont be any good in a couple of months and it's $2100 to update the whole thing to work on HD!!

With all due respect those prices are absurd unless they included installation of a new Winegard Trav'ler.  Systems like the Winegard G3 will continue to work well even after the DirecTV changes.   Even a simple dish on the roof will work fine for getting signals from the 101 satellite.

It sounds as if your dealer saw a change to "upgrade" you into a big sale, including a SWM conversion, but none of that is necessary.  

The first thing I would do is contact King to see if your particular model is one that will work after the DirecTV changes.  Most of them should, but some people are still using models with things like low speed serial port connections and those will not be functional.

If your model will be usable then you may not have to do much else other than get a newer receiver so you can receive MPEG4 channels.  If you use a H24 or HR24 you can still use Multi-Switch configuration which means you won't have to make any other changes with your dish.  If you use a receiver with a model number of 25 or higher you will have to convert to a SWM installation, but that's not really all that difficult or costly.

If this sounds too complicated for you, I suggest searching to find an honest DirecTV installer who can take you through the steps I outlined above.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We are still using Direct TV SD on a simple, tripod mounted dish. We haven't received any communication from them regarding a need to get new equipment (or anything else for that matter). I'll be following this thread to see what/when/how this is handled. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

3 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

BnB

Are you tied down to DirecTV? There are several Dish HD fully automatic receiver/dish equipment bundles available for $400-$600 complete.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

We are still using Direct TV SD on a simple, tripod mounted dish. We haven't received any communication from them regarding a need to get new equipment (or anything else for that matter). I'll be following this thread to see what/when/how this is handled. 

If you'd like to read a bit about what DirecTV is going to do, you may wish to read some of this thread.  Regardless of whether or not you've been contacted by DTV, changes are coming: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/official-announcement-of-directv-2019-changes-413736.html

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

21 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect those prices are absurd unless they included installation of a new Winegard Trav'ler.  Systems like the Winegard G3 will continue to work well even after the DirecTV changes.   Even a simple dish on the roof will work fine for getting signals from the 101 satellite.

It sounds as if your dealer saw a change to "upgrade" you into a big sale, including a SWM conversion, but none of that is necessary.  

Joel (AKA docj)

I thought the same thing but we don't have satellite at all and haven't had for several years since we started fulltiming. We thought we might give it a try as we like to watch Formula 1 car racing and it isn't broadcast OTA only on ESPN2. We watched some races last year on Direct TV Now but we found it wasn't very reliable and the DVR feature was hard to use so we ended up with a few races in Spanish!

Thanks for the links and tips, they are greatly appreciated,

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

On 2/8/2019 at 1:58 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

We stopping using our satellite over a year ago with DirecTV. We started streaming everything DirecTV Now, Netflix’s and Amazon Prime. We use unlimited AT&T plus plan and recently pickup a new MiFi prepaid unlimited plan with Verizon. It’s work great even on our trip to Alaska last year. Also nice not to have to worry about where to setup regarding trees and such.

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Chiefneon,

How do you get past the requirement and I quote "Residential customers only", that Direct TV Now has?  This really sounds great.  Would like to eliminate the satellite dish, and like you not worry about trees, rain and such.  Would be using the Verizon unlimited pre pay MIFI plan.  Already have it and it work great for our internet.

2006 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL w/ Mor/Ryde IS Suspension and Hydraulic Brakes

2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD w/B&W turnover hitch and Companion

6 hours ago, nscaler2 said:

Chiefneon,

How do you get past the requirement and I quote "Residential customers only", that Direct TV Now has?  This really sounds great.  Would like to eliminate the satellite dish, and like you not worry about trees, rain and such.  Would be using the Verizon unlimited pre pay MIFI plan.  Already have it and it work great for our internet.

Howdy!

When I signed us up for DirecTV Now over a year ago I had a long conversation with them over the phone describing that we are fulltime RVer’s and use our AT&T unlimited plus plan for our internet needs. They had no problems then or in the past just recently when I contacted them because for unknow reasons our local channel had switched from Houston area the the Dallas/ Ft Worth area. Even then when asked I informed them we use AT&T MiFi and Also Verizon MiFi for our data connection. They made no mention as you refer to that it was for “Residential customers only”. As stated last year on our trip to Alaska it worked out well traveling through Canada and Alaska. Our last trip to Alaska we lost our satellite in Canada which is one of the reason we opted to try Streaming.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• 4 weeks later...

We still haven't been contacted by Direct TV about this upcoming change. It sounds like most of the HD programming is going over to the 101 Sat, which is the one we are on. I think that we have the most basic SD DVR-receiver, and I don't know if it will pick up the new programming or not. 

I see on the Direct TV website that our account is eligible for a new HD-DVR for no cost, so perhaps I'll just order that and see if we're good to go. It would be nice to have some definitive information on this before the screen goes black!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 2/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, nscaler2 said:

Chiefneon,

I had no trouble signing up for DirecTv Now, in fact AT&T sent me a one month free offer even though my only AT&T device is my Mobley.

Residential Customers Only means the offer isn't available to bars and other commercial accounts, not that you have to be in a fixed location.

OK, so I've been a loyal DTV user for almost 30 years so I do still have some older SD receivers that I use in the MH in conjunction with an ancient Datron SD dish and also a King Dome in Motion 9762-LP dish.  I don't really care about getting an HD signal to my current HD TV's but IF I'm understanding this issue correctly, my dish's on the roof of the RV will still be viable, my SD receivers will no longer be able to receive a signal and become paper weights. In order to continue using my SD dish's, I'll have to upgrade to a HD or compatible Receiver in order to still receive a now, new SD signal to my HD receiver??? In other words, even though I may have an HD receiver, my viewing will still be limited to SD because of my LNA/LNB feed horn on my SD Dish? 

Hell. I'm confused even typing this!!!

For me right now its a wait and see attitude. Honestly, if I thought I could benefit from eliminating SAT dish's completely, I'd go the Data route and concentrate my efforts on getting those things needed to ensure a Cell signal(boosters, cell phone plan with unlimited data etc etc) but I just don't know yet. I even told the wife yesterday, that maybe we should get rid of our home phone, get rid of our FiOS 100/100 plan and instead get another cell phone on our current plan, apply our home number to that Cell phone and use Data streaming off the cell phones at home to take care of our viewing pleasure?? I could see a savings by doing this, but Frontier Communications does not make it easy to view Data usage..I know my wife loves to watch Net Flix here at home.  I can get fairly good OTA signals here at home for the major networks ….

I know I'm rambling on here and most everything I've written is more a question than it is a statement...HELP???   🙂

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

5 hours ago, acampingwewillgo said:

I'll have to upgrade to a HD or compatible Receiver in order to still receive a now, new SD signal to my HD receiver??? In other words, even though I may have an HD receiver, my viewing will still be limited to SD because of my LNA/LNB feed horn on my SD Dish? 

With all due respect you don't understand the situation.  The dish doesn't do anything other than receive the signal.  It doesn't know if the signal is HD or SD.  The reason you haven't been able to receive HD is a combination of having SD receivers, but primarily it is because your dish can't receive the frequencies that HD is being broadcast on.  After the changeover, the 101 satellite will be broadcasting HD signals on frequencies your dish can receive.  

If you'd like to better understand the changes that are going to occur you might wish to read the beginning of this rather lengthy thread.  Afterwards, I'd be quite willing to answer your questions.  Here's the thread:  http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/official-announcement-of-directv-2019-changes-413736.html

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

With all Due respect Doc, I think I covered that with my last statement regarding my Post being a question. I understand that we are talking about the 101 Sat and my single LNA/LNB dish can only  point at One satellite, that Satellite being 101. If what you say is true, then the only thing I'll have to do is upgrade my receiver and hope that they keep enough programming on the 101 Sat which as I understand, we don't know how many channels that Satellite will carry!

There are plenty of people saying that the Sky is falling over this whole deal...does anyone really Know? I've heard just now that 2020 is the new date the change is taking place.  My assumption regarding my Dish was because before this change, to receive HD you needed a multiple LNA setup...I'm certainly happy that HD will be available on a single Sat for Direct TV just as Dish has accomplished all along. 

Finally, I will check out the IRV2 thread...Thank You

Ok then....Excellent information on that IRV2 Post.  Thank You for researching this to the extent you did. I'll have to refer others to this Topic...to coin a phrase, I'll be a Happy Camper if things go the way explained although to be honest, after 30 years with Direct, I might consider a change. Thanks again...

16 hours ago, acampingwewillgo said:

maybe we should get rid of our home phone, get rid of our FiOS 100/100 plan and instead get another cell phone on our current plan, apply our home number to that Cell phone and use Data streaming off the cell phones at home to take care of our viewing pleasure??

Does your Fios plan include access to the Verizon Hotspot network? A few years ago when cellular customers could access their hotspots for free, I found that many were collocated with Tengo installations at campgrounds/RV parks. The speeds of the Verizon hotspots were not throttled like the campground wifi often was. I currently have access to the Xfinity Wifi network. It broadcasts its hotspots from its residential and business customers routers. It is not uncommon to pickup several hotspots in parks with longer term residents or adjacent businesses. Where I am now, I am getting about 10mbs down and 5mbs up on an Xfinity hotspot. I also have access to the Xfinity streaming which includes a number channels and on demand. There are some restrictions on the major networks. CBS is not available, you have to subscribe to their streaming service. On Demand access to ABC, NBC and Fox is often restricted so that the latest episodes of a show are not always available right after airing. Amazon Prime provides some additional viewing opportunities as do some of the free services like Pluto and Crackle.

We recently upgraded our 6 year old phones. The new phones included the option of a Tablet linked to each phone at no additional device fee. There is an additional line fee, but this gives us 4 hotspot/tethering limits of 15G and unlimited streaming on the tablet which I find much better than streaming on the phone.

Edited by trailertraveler

Learning to set up a Slimline dish on a tripod (not those $35 cheap things) will save you lots of money over any automatic dish. SD is blurry compared to HD.   Not something I want to watch.  I'm sticking with DTV because of recording.  I never watch anything live.

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Learning to set up a Slimline dish on a tripod (not those $35 cheap things) will save you lots of money over any automatic dish. SD is blurry compared to HD.   Not something I want to watch.  I'm sticking with DTV because of recording.  I never watch anything live.

I use one of those "$35 cheap things" that I modified with leveling feet and no tools needed adjustments. Setting up and aiming our Dish 1000.4 triple LNB dish rarely takes more than 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system