Snakebite

Snakebite

my

My wife and I are residents in England and will start touring again in your fine country from around the 8th April 2019. We are both fit and able bodied and have no pre-existing medical issues

(At the moment!!)   my questions are:

1) Does health insurance when purchased through the Escapees Club only cover the State of Texas or can it give us coverage for all states in the USA?

2) What would the average costs be for both my wife and I to purchase a standard policy and would it cover dental care?

Thank you for your time and we would appreciate any information

Kind regards

Clive and Pam

I wouldn't think that your health plan from the UK would cover you in the US? I also wonder how good a Medicare supplement plan would be if you didn't have Medicare? Like in Canada. If you are in very good health without preexisting conditions, you may benefit from a high deductible plan because of the lower cost? I know how good your health care is in the UK. The people in the US who don't want comprehensive health for all say that in places like Canada and the UK you have to wait for care. You, I am sure could address that?

I spend 5 months in the UP of MI each summer about 30 miles from Canada and when the discussion turns to health care with my many Canadian friends they all, ALL, tell me that don't wait for healthcare in Canada! They tell me to please see the documentary "Sicko". I have and suggest others to see it also. Good Luck

I too think that you may be better off to check on travel health insurance at home. One of the reasons is that if you buy US health coverage it will be a year-long policy while a travel policy could be for a shorter duration. I did an internet search and Google search engine lists quite a number of possible underwriters. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, whj469 said:

I spend 5 months in the UP of MI each summer about 30 miles from Canada and when the discussion turns to health care with my many Canadian friends they all, ALL, tell me that don't wait for healthcare in Canada!

Not questioning your veracity and you obviosly talk to a lot more Canadians than me but the ones I have talked to seem to think their system is good.  Also interesting in that Rand Paul, a Dr. elected to go to Canada for treatment on injuries he sustained in physical attack by one of his neighbors who I think was also a Dr.   Just a curious observation on my part.

9 hours ago, whj469 said:

I spend 5 months in the UP of MI each summer about 30 miles from Canada and when the discussion turns to health care

12 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Not questioning your veracity and you obviosly talk to a lot more

Gentlemen, let's not turn this into an argument. We have enough Canadian members of the forums that I am sure they can answer any questions about their systems. How about just dealing with the question asked by Snakebite? Let's keep things friendly.  🙂

I wonder if it's regional the canadians that stay in Texas at the same camp as my parents get there work done in Texas or Mexico so they don't have to do it at home. The Canadians who live near me  come to the states for medical purposes.  Many of the Canadians I know are dual citizens as there parents came to the USA to give birth for the Express purpose of there children being able to avail them selves of Us medicine.  However that would be a very small group go try and make a judgment on.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:09 PM, whj469 said:

What argument? We seem to be in agreement! No one has yet answered my question?

The main question is: does Snakebite feel his question has been answered, since this is about a UK resident getting coverage for their health care while in the US for an extended period, rather than about the quality of healthcare services/policies in other countries. :) 

I sure hope he has the info he needs? We surly don't need to discuss the quality of health care in other countries. There are a number of entities that do that and they are available online. I remember when Canada made its citizens go back after six months or they would loose their medical care? I wonder if that is still so?

As for my question, how useful is a Medicare supplemental if you don't have Medicare? Someone above mentioned that and I am wondering. 

23 hours ago, whj469 said:

I sure hope he has the info he needs? We surly don't need to discuss the quality of health care in other countries. There are a number of entities that do that and they are available online. I remember when Canada made its citizens go back after six months or they would loose their medical care? I wonder if that is still so?

As for my question, how useful is a Medicare supplemental if you don't have Medicare? Someone above mentioned that and I am wondering. 

Yes Canadians lose their health and other benefits if they reside outside of Canada for more than 6 months in a 12 month period.  There are a lot of travel health insurance plans offered by private companies.  Some banks and travel credit cards also offer supplemental health insurance for short-term travel.  Maybe drop by a travel agent or insurance broker.

The journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step.

46 minutes ago, bk_ said:

Yes Canadians lose their health and other benefits if they reside outside of Canada for more than 6 months in a 12 month period. 

Is your health care reinstated once you return to Canada after being out of country for longer than 6 months?

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Is your health care reinstated once you return to Canada after being out of country for longer than 6 months?

Not automatically. Over 6 months absence brings with it a whole mess of issues, including drivers license, and residency. All need to be re-applied for.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

To Snakebite - I would purchase US medical insurance prior to entering the USA. Getting knocked down by a texting driver at your arrival airport and being carted off in an ambulance for a $100,000.00 broken leg would ruin your day. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Hi Folks

Well a wealth of information has now been taken in and thoroughly digested, I think we'll take your very good advice and purchase our insurance in England as it will cover all eventualities. 

We would just like to say a BIG thank you for all of your replies to our posting, it's been very helpful and much appreciated.

I will be  looking out for that Damn Taxi driver though !!!!

Kind regards to you all

Clive and Pam

18 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I will be  looking out for that Damn Taxi driver though !!!!

Share with us a bit about your coming visit, if you will? We would love to meet you while you are here!

For general information purposes, if you do not plan to buy a car to tow behind your RV;

In addition to taxi drivers we have Lyft drivers and Uber drivers on the roads, both are ride sharing ventures that may be available where taxi's are not available. Both  have cell phone apps to connect with rides.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 2/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, Kirk W said:

Share with us a bit about your coming visit, if you will? We would love to meet you while you are here!

Hi Kirk W. My wife and I toured your fine country in 2010/12 and enjoyed every minute of it, we bought our Navion J from Lewis RV in Dayton OH and went out and had a gap year for oldies, we are now both retired and will continue where we left off. We're not really city folks we've always enjoyed the wide open spaces and history that criss-crosses your country, all those marker / information boards a joy to just stop and read them.

I used to follow a lot of your tips and information when we were last on the road, it would be great to meet up at some time when we're back over in the USA 

Not sure what's the best way to get in touch Kirk?

Kind regards

Clive and Pam

We will be on the road then as we leave here on March 7 to go to Tucson, AZ and by April 8 we will be in California. We plan to spend time in various locations of CA, then possibly a few stops in OR followed by a slow trip east through WY and KS and back to TX in May for some doctor visits. 

Archived