jenandjon

under glow body lights

I have a 93 Jayco 5th wheel. The only outdoor wight we have is that little porch light. I have been thinking about putting LED under glow lights on it. So people can at least see to walk around it and not trip on cords and the kids toys. Anyone done this before? What lights do you suggest? I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want cheap junk either.

Did this last year on my 38' fiver with blue flex tube LED lights. I like the look, and does give enough light to see objects etc.  Cost maybe $75 plus a LOT of on the back time to get them on. Bought off Ebay from an outfit in Indiana.

This won't help around the RV but if you want a major improvement for the porch light, I replaced mine with this Bug-Gaurd light from a vendor at Escapade a couple of years ago and we really like it. 

To light the area around the trailer for reasons similar to yours we use motion detecting solar lights. They're off & charging during the day and go on in darkening conditions with a mild yet bright enough light to see the area, then motion sets them off to a much brighter light. Easy to install where I choose with the adhesive backing and not expensive either. 

Having played with LEDs of various types since available for this function I'll give you my opinion. First, let me say that you can find VERY inexpensive LED "systems" on Ebay and even direct on Alibaba. I've used many of them. If you are looking for a short term solution that teaches you about their use and you expect to replace them eventually, you have found your product(s). But you WILL be replacing them. Keep that in mind. And likely pretty soon. Or you may luck out and they will last "forever" like all the $10 lights that people will tell you about further down in this thread. But that is unlikely - again, MY opinion based on MY experience. 

I like to save money where possible, but for outdoor use in harsh environments, I now use Boogey Lights. They cost considerably more but are made to last much longer in a harsh exterior environment on the road. Now for the disclaimer. We run a business where we have to have reliable lighting products. Boogey Lights are the ones we choose, so perhaps we are biased. But the choice is based on performance, and nothing else. My two cents - take it for what it is worth.

3nf8g4Lzok9VC-OC_xzoVYkP-hkbzV-f-itHUF7dOIOOH1cbfFaAquJtr1657JrbfTYglFTGE6MTmkTPP0XMsFy6aMEu9atBt_-I7G-3MyCuLzlaLoOexQqeftF55XgdHMo71GNAXroModZgnf7a5864o9cI-LjVbrHSvtDTlwnYTOYJIwecbKSQRjfTDkV4xnaFb8heKkmBuFwJQjQ9tRpXSgsjWYpXJ9zEu25kanTs0aMJlf-lP_TApCp_E5yVv9_MHMc2YkX89lZDh9LGMozwriX7DYDvdhfPRMGznM5MQ5n9E-z-BdnYLa1TOkgM0PFJTQWUZxQaCyx-lqTzc35qMSuvl_Cfj2hs-Kh4wKd5RsjSnQcXdG4omWsRSQmLbL_zMfdT3QeTyIMHoEmtUfhPCfn8VxyZ4ScVkGcPprvxoCCE2y66XbYpE55rk19oJEO9TGkHC7xWUlmIX3ksenAz1XG07qFz96VWI0PPqgS81LQc0b6-mOHgZagUl-lZfV-VsYhzMxrwZ06J5nd-EVdYDDvfT4N6M9MMYYyyhGXJ6-JPSjPbz_-LUCldlgnL-z7koSaP5McOZLt91zAuqCWbVtNeB9APR-s3NguqycFMyqDTlvUgpple2gLQa5b4pRtcE45kV8oRi0mvYEsixNI0owZ29_-p6uqJUpG5rtnr8X7ZuywlFrHTaoNPxuIvPI9EIsEHHyQ6vlOlw1UDR0WvNA=w1608-h905-no

I have a pair of wireless motion sensor led lights that I use to light the approach to the camper.  I like it dark outside and I like to know when something/someone is moving around the camper at night.

And, I like to have the approach to the camper door light up when we come back at night.
I epoxied a neodymium (super high strength) magnet to the back of each light and can "stick" the light to any iron/steel part of the camper or truck.

I have this one and several other motion activated led lights for use in and around the camper.

Look for LED's with a IPA 67 or IPS 68 rating. If you attach them with tape, make sure it is 3M tape and not some cheap lookalike. They will not be the cheapest lights you can buy but they will generally last a LOT longer.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:07 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Look for LED's with a IPA 67 or IPS 68 rating. If you attach them with tape, make sure it is 3M tape and not some cheap lookalike. They will not be the cheapest lights you can buy but they will generally last a LOT longer.

The same can be said for the 3M double stick tape. There is a reason that so much of industry uses it.

We didn't self install, but we found a vendor that put LEDs under our RV.  We have a remote control and can change the color, brightness, and even mix colors together.  Most of the time we keep them blue at night.  During the holidays we may change them up.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:54 AM, rm.w/aview said:

To light the area around the trailer for reasons similar to yours we use motion detecting solar lights. They're off & charging during the day and go on in darkening conditions with a mild yet bright enough light to see the area, then motion sets them off to a much brighter light. Easy to install where I choose with the adhesive backing and not expensive either. 

A true benefit of using these ^ for when I say mild I mean that these lights are like night lights until motion is detected :)

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Please keep your neighbors in mind when using lights. We carry a flashlight if walking around the RV.

I agree!!  We are seeing far too many folks in campgrounds leaving their outside lights on all night long. Why? 

I'd like to be able to go outside and see the stars, and not the colorful accent lighting that my neighbors (who are inside of their trailer) have decided to leave on all night. 

I had to step next door recently and ask our neighbor if they wouldn't mind turning off their "scare" light after 10:00 pm. It shined directly into our bedroom window the entire previous night. They were thoughtful enough to apologize and turn it off subsequent nights.