under glow body lights

jenandjon

I have a 93 Jayco 5th wheel. The only outdoor wight we have is that little porch light. I have been thinking about putting LED under glow lights on it. So people can at least see to walk around it and not trip on cords and the kids toys. Anyone done this before? What lights do you suggest? I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want cheap junk either.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Did this last year on my 38' fiver with blue flex tube LED lights. I like the look, and does give enough light to see objects etc.  Cost maybe $75 plus a LOT of on the back time to get them on. Bought off Ebay from an outfit in Indiana.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

This won't help around the RV but if you want a major improvement for the porch light, I replaced mine with this Bug-Gaurd light from a vendor at Escapade a couple of years ago and we really like it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Having played with LEDs of various types since available for this function I'll give you my opinion. First, let me say that you can find VERY inexpensive LED "systems" on Ebay and even direct on Alibaba. I've used many of them. If you are looking for a short term solution that teaches you about their use and you expect to replace them eventually, you have found your product(s). But you WILL be replacing them. Keep that in mind. And likely pretty soon. Or you may luck out and they will last "forever" like all the $10 lights that people will tell you about further down in this thread. But that is unlikely - again, MY opinion based on MY experience. 

I like to save money where possible, but for outdoor use in harsh environments, I now use Boogey Lights. They cost considerably more but are made to last much longer in a harsh exterior environment on the road. Now for the disclaimer. We run a business where we have to have reliable lighting products. Boogey Lights are the ones we choose, so perhaps we are biased. But the choice is based on performance, and nothing else. My two cents - take it for what it is worth.

3nf8g4Lzok9VC-OC_xzoVYkP-hkbzV-f-itHUF7dOIOOH1cbfFaAquJtr1657JrbfTYglFTGE6MTmkTPP0XMsFy6aMEu9atBt_-I7G-3MyCuLzlaLoOexQqeftF55XgdHMo71GNAXroModZgnf7a5864o9cI-LjVbrHSvtDTlwnYTOYJIwecbKSQRjfTDkV4xnaFb8heKkmBuFwJQjQ9tRpXSgsjWYpXJ9zEu25kanTs0aMJlf-lP_TApCp_E5yVv9_MHMc2YkX89lZDh9LGMozwriX7DYDvdhfPRMGznM5MQ5n9E-z-BdnYLa1TOkgM0PFJTQWUZxQaCyx-lqTzc35qMSuvl_Cfj2hs-Kh4wKd5RsjSnQcXdG4omWsRSQmLbL_zMfdT3QeTyIMHoEmtUfhPCfn8VxyZ4ScVkGcPprvxoCCE2y66XbYpE55rk19oJEO9TGkHC7xWUlmIX3ksenAz1XG07qFz96VWI0PPqgS81LQc0b6-mOHgZagUl-lZfV-VsYhzMxrwZ06J5nd-EVdYDDvfT4N6M9MMYYyyhGXJ6-JPSjPbz_-LUCldlgnL-z7koSaP5McOZLt91zAuqCWbVtNeB9APR-s3NguqycFMyqDTlvUgpple2gLQa5b4pRtcE45kV8oRi0mvYEsixNI0owZ29_-p6uqJUpG5rtnr8X7ZuywlFrHTaoNPxuIvPI9EIsEHHyQ6vlOlw1UDR0WvNA=w1608-h905-no

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a pair of wireless motion sensor led lights that I use to light the approach to the camper.  I like it dark outside and I like to know when something/someone is moving around the camper at night.

And, I like to have the approach to the camper door light up when we come back at night.
I epoxied a neodymium (super high strength) magnet to the back of each light and can "stick" the light to any iron/steel part of the camper or truck.

I have this one and several other motion activated led lights for use in and around the camper.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

On 2/13/2019 at 10:07 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Look for LED's with a IPA 67 or IPS 68 rating. If you attach them with tape, make sure it is 3M tape and not some cheap lookalike. They will not be the cheapest lights you can buy but they will generally last a LOT longer.

The same can be said for the 3M double stick tape. There is a reason that so much of industry uses it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We didn't self install, but we found a vendor that put LEDs under our RV.  We have a remote control and can change the color, brightness, and even mix colors together.  Most of the time we keep them blue at night.  During the holidays we may change them up.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Please keep your neighbors in mind when using lights. We carry a flashlight if walking around the RV.

I agree!!  We are seeing far too many folks in campgrounds leaving their outside lights on all night long. Why? 

I'd like to be able to go outside and see the stars, and not the colorful accent lighting that my neighbors (who are inside of their trailer) have decided to leave on all night. 

I had to step next door recently and ask our neighbor if they wouldn't mind turning off their "scare" light after 10:00 pm. It shined directly into our bedroom window the entire previous night. They were thoughtful enough to apologize and turn it off subsequent nights. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 2/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, 2gypsies said:

Please keep your neighbors in mind when using lights. We carry a flashlight if walking around the RV.

Oh no I'm not "that guy" They will be off at night. The only time they would be left on late is when we are at our seasonal spot on the river or boondocking. We tend to sit up late when we do that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Kirk W said:

This won't help around the RV but if you want a major improvement for the porch light, I replaced mine with this Bug-Gaurd light from a vendor at Escapade a couple of years ago and we really like it. 

I like this light Kirk, I have a similar which can act as motion or steady on but think this would be great under the front of my fifth wheel as a replacement. thanks for sharing this. Bill

06 GMC 2500HD extended cab, long bed, Duramax.
07 HR Alumascape Suite 5er
Doberman, Jazz, RIP

new K9 Rufus (Roof)
SemperFi

I am going to put the under body lights on hold fro right now. I was looking at the bug guard light. In the frequently bought together section I seen the LED interior replacement lights. I thing I am going to invest that money in these instead.

Archived