Twotoes

Costco vs Sams Club

I'm sorry Barb and Carlos. We have no salt issues but do eat low fat/salt for continued good cholesterol/BP no diabetes health. I even quit smoking and since I drank beer with smokes quit that too at the same time a decade or so back. My bane is lumbar and cervical issues that were mostly resolved with surgery on both at Laser Spine Institute in Tampa.

We eat those rotisserie chickens at least once a month and it lasts for two dinners. (or suppers if you ain't from aroun' here.) Anytime we don't have time to cook because of an outing or TV program we get one too. I also love breakfast for supper. Eggs and eggo waffles (or toast) with real maple syrup butter and turkey sausage on the side.

Edited by RV_

2 hours ago, whj469 said:

I just saw a TV program on the 3 lb rotisserie chicken that the sell at Costco's for $5. They said that a three lb chicken that you buy their and take home to cook cost more! They sell 81 million of them per year and they bring people into the store and they are always at the back of the store.

Here in Corpus Christi at HEB a fresh chicken costs $0.95/lb which would make the cost of a 3 lb chicken $2.85 (assuming you wanted to buy one that small).  We usually buy a 5-6 lb one for less than $6.  We like Costco, also, but it doesn't sell miracles.

There's no way that you can sell a cooked chicken for the same price that someone is selling an uncooked one.  Someone has to pay for the energy used for cooking.  Unless we've been traveling all day I can't see why I would want to buy a cooked one rather than make it myself.

Edited by docj

You may want to revisit the chickens at Costco and Sams. Seems recently they have maybe listened to the public and backed off the sodium content in their seasoning. It's very noticeable when you taste them. Even Walmart seems to backed off on theirs too. We always take off the skin to boot. Just sayin' 

Doc, according to stuff you read on this subject on the internet 🙄, Costco and Sams sell the chicken and hot dog as a lost leader. Lure someone in the store for these cheap items and let nature care of the rest. Trust me they win in the end! Wonder what the average receipt total is at these stores? Marketing at it's finest!

Edited by rockintom

Since I’ve had to reduce salt to keep Dave around as long as possible, we’v Noticed that we really don’t miss all that salt,  and we are seeing more and more ‘low salt’ products.  I have an app to track sodium intake (as well as other things), that works very well.  Dave really misses not being able to have pancakes and waffles, and only 1 muffin about twice a week.  

24 minutes ago, rockintom said:

Doc, according to stuff you read on this subject on the internet 🙄, Costco and Sams sell the chicken and hot dog as a lost leader.

It may be a loss leader, but if I can buy a larger chicken for less money, why would I want to pay Costco to cook a smaller one?  We like to eat well and don't mind cooking.  Our Beaver has a very large kitchen for a MH and we rarely buy cooked foods. JMO

Read recently Costco is going to build a400 acre chicken farm in eastern Nebraska. They plan to raise 1million chickens a year. Article stated they sell 4 mil a year.  And yes it is a loss leader.

Also they guarantee them to weigh a min.4lb.

Our local Super Target used to sell rotisserie chickens at a flat rate per package for a whole chicken so it helped to pay attention to the weight of the chicken. Now they sell a chicken cut into quarters for that same flat rate but the chicken quarters weigh less. Not as good a deal as it used to be--now four servings instead of the previous five. Yes, the chicken are small enough that even my small stomach needs a quarter chicken to feel full.

Linda

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

Should I add BJ’s to the mix?  :hide:

BJ's is not in that many states, 17 according to one source, so it rarely pays to be a member for those who full time.

The TV show that I saw clearly stated that they sold those 81 million rotisserie chickens at Costco at a loss because it brings people in their stores. It went on to say that Walmart and Sam's had raised the price to $5.99 and they chose to keep the price at $5? While the TV show may well be wrong, I will go with it and not with some of the experts stated above.

10 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

BJ's is not in that many states, 17 according to one source, so it rarely pays to be a member for those who full time.

I agree.  But I just thought I would through that into the mix.  As there are only 3 large wholesale clubs out there.