Costco vs Sams Club

You may want to revisit the chickens at Costco and Sams. Seems recently they have maybe listened to the public and backed off the sodium content in their seasoning. It's very noticeable when you taste them. Even Walmart seems to backed off on theirs too. We always take off the skin to boot. Just sayin' 

Doc, according to stuff you read on this subject on the internet 🙄, Costco and Sams sell the chicken and hot dog as a lost leader. Lure someone in the store for these cheap items and let nature care of the rest. Trust me they win in the end! Wonder what the average receipt total is at these stores? Marketing at it's finest!

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I’ve had to reduce salt to keep Dave around as long as possible, we’v Noticed that we really don’t miss all that salt,  and we are seeing more and more ‘low salt’ products.  I have an app to track sodium intake (as well as other things), that works very well.  Dave really misses not being able to have pancakes and waffles, and only 1 muffin about twice a week.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

24 minutes ago, rockintom said:

Doc, according to stuff you read on this subject on the internet 🙄, Costco and Sams sell the chicken and hot dog as a lost leader.

It may be a loss leader, but if I can buy a larger chicken for less money, why would I want to pay Costco to cook a smaller one?  We like to eat well and don't mind cooking.  Our Beaver has a very large kitchen for a MH and we rarely buy cooked foods. JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Our local Super Target used to sell rotisserie chickens at a flat rate per package for a whole chicken so it helped to pay attention to the weight of the chicken. Now they sell a chicken cut into quarters for that same flat rate but the chicken quarters weigh less. Not as good a deal as it used to be--now four servings instead of the previous five. Yes, the chicken are small enough that even my small stomach needs a quarter chicken to feel full.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

Should I add BJ’s to the mix?  :hide:

BJ's is not in that many states, 17 according to one source, so it rarely pays to be a member for those who full time.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

The TV show that I saw clearly stated that they sold those 81 million rotisserie chickens at Costco at a loss because it brings people in their stores. It went on to say that Walmart and Sam's had raised the price to $5.99 and they chose to keep the price at $5? While the TV show may well be wrong, I will go with it and not with some of the experts stated above.

10 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

BJ's is not in that many states, 17 according to one source, so it rarely pays to be a member for those who full time.

I agree.  But I just thought I would through that into the mix.  As there are only 3 large wholesale clubs out there.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

The birds pack in a total 460 milligrams of sodium each.

Uh, what?  Each what?  Because if that's per bird, that's NOTHING.  Last time I researched it, I was looking at well over 1k per reasonable-sized serving.

Ok, found it:  7.3 grams per bird, or a ludicrous 1200mg for a half pound.

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Uh, what?  Each what?  Because if that's per bird, that's NOTHING.  Last time I researched it, I was looking at well over 1k per reasonable-sized serving.

Ok, found it:  7.3 grams per bird, or a ludicrous 1200mg for a half pound.

And when you are trying to stay at 1500-1800 mg per day total, you see why these are no-gos for kidney patients.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I think most people should stay well under 2k per day.  I shoot for 1500, and it has solved my joint pain.  I was supposed to get surgery, and avoided it by cutting out salt, oil, and processed foods.

It isn't easy to do, especially if you eat out, etc.   And if you want pancakes, waffles, muffins, cake, etc., then you will be over your limit in a snap.  Also most all processed food is very high in salt because we beat all of the flavor out of our food in processing.  What's worse for us is that husband can also not tolerate onions - and everything without salt will be full of onions!  Bland doesn't begin to describe our meals.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We have no medical reason to cut back or eliminate salt or anything else. We really like those rotisserie chickens  Boston market is one of my favorites all dark meat . As far as I know I do not eat low fat or low salt  anything.

We were born in  1936. We  gnawed on lead paint . We inhaled   pollution . We ate all the food that is now no longer good for us. I do not like cauliflower.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

And you are lucky Rick that you chose your grandparents well.  Unfortunately Dave's father and grandfather (and probably those before them) died from heart attacks at 60.  Dave is going strong at 75, but like his two brothers, the family problems with high blood pressure, diabetes (Type 2), etc are part of their genetic makeup.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

47 minutes ago, richfaa said:

We  gnawed on lead paint . We inhaled   pollution . We ate all the food that is now no longer good for us.

Me too, which is why now I have to deal with things like joint pain and other challenges.  Having done it wrong for decades doesn't have to mean doing it wrong forever.

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

Me too, which is why now I have to deal with things like joint pain and other challenges.  Having done it wrong for decades doesn't have to mean doing it wrong forever.

Been doing it for 82 years how long is forever.Yes We attribute our good health to great genes both sides of the family as I certainly did little to  help out.  Yes we have joint pains and we can no longer do the things we did at 40, 50,60 We are 100% Sicilian  . When our Doctor says I can no longer eat  something I will no longer eat it  but he says  keep on doing what you are doing. My Mother was 93 years old and in a assisted living home. Their doctor told her she should stop smoking she had been smoking since she was 13 years old. She said  what, will I live another 20 years..End of conversation .  She died of old age at the age of 95 my dad 96, His mother 100, we think. I never liked beer or Hard Liquor  but had a weakness for Brandy Alexanders, still do. We are Italian. We drink a little wine. Wife is Irish so does she.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

My doctor told me to go get MRIs to prepare for surgery.  He never told me to stop eating poorly.  I had to turn to others for those ideas, and the rest is history.  Closing on four years pain free, just from not eating the normal awful diet we're all trained to eat.  Years later when he said my recovery was awesome, and sensible, I asked why he didn't tell me to just change my diet, instead of having surgery.  He said because nobody is willing to do it.  Sigh.

We were not trained to eat a awful diet. The only surgery I have had in my 82 years was to repair a torn ligament in my knee last summer . I have never been told by a doctor to change my diet.We are all different. So your doctor performed surgery on you instead of telling you to change your diet. Nice guy...

My doctor is not sure whether to be glad or mad that I tell her which of her recommendation I will likely not follow. I don't like being miserable every day now in hopes of maybe possibly preventing something in the future. You gotta give me better odds than that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

15 hours ago, Carlos said:

He said because nobody is willing to do it

There is probably a lot of truth to that statement but there are also a lot of different opinions on what constitutes a healthy diet, all clamoring to get your attention. After a Google search on eating healthy, try to do everything they suggest, as they do not all agree on what one should eat. I found 10 pages of opinions and many of them disagree with others. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

35 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

All things in moderation.  Unfortunately, we are by nature creatures of excess.

yes I like that and we do that. The intake of to much water will cause death you know.

14 hours ago, richfaa said:

So your doctor performed surgery on you instead of telling you to change your diet.

No, just told me it was inevitable.  He doesn't perform surgery, he's a family doctor on the corner.  The point is that I was able to AVOID surgery by a simple diet change.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

After a Google search on eating healthy, try to do everything they suggest, as they do not all agree on what one should eat. I found 10 pages of opinions and many of them disagree with others. 

I went after a few peer reviewed papers, and also what several people were doing who saw major heart and joint improvements.  You simply can't find anyone who DOESN'T agree that cutting salt, oil, and processed foods is great.  So I did that.  Joint pain gone, weight drops off.  My neighbor who is a PE teacher started doing the same, and went from icing his joints most evenings to having no problem.  When he and I were deer hunting, his knees hurt too much to make it up to tall perches to glass.

Archived