Costco vs Sams Club

I went to the post office to get a passport photo and was advised that they no longer have this service. Was told to go to Costco or Sams Club. Went to Sams Club but they would not provide the passport photo service unless you are a member. I am a solo full timer and have seen many Costco’s  around but not many Sams Clubs. Also I don’t need bulk purchase of food items, they will just spoile and get thrown out before I can finish them. Is Sams Club just a glorified WalMart?  I have also been told that Walgreens or CVS will take my photo without a membership requirement so I may just do that. If I were to join a membership club, which is preferred Costco or Sams?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I stated in my post that Walgreens and CVS do it but I am asking if I decide to join which is preferred Costco or Sams Club. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

I have been a member of both and slightly prefer Costco, but believe that Sam's is found more widely. For me, neither one really pays since our RV does not have enough storage to buy in the quantities that you must in either store and with only two people to feed, we just do not need the large quantities. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On the west coast Costco FAR outnumbers Sams.  I’m not sure if there is still any Sam’s left in Washington State.  I can’t remember ever seeing a Photo section in either.   We don’t get a lot at Costco, but there are some things we get there.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Where we travel (WA, ID, OR, NV, AZ, SE CA), we find more Costcos.  About the only place we stay with a Sam's Club is Yuma, but there's a Costco in El Centro that's only about 50 miles from where we stay.  Your choice would depend on where you travel and which is more prevalent in those areas.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Howdy!

We had our last Pass Port photos made a CVS. Regarding Costco’s or Sam’s club we’ve had both and prefer Costco’s.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

5 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I think it may depend on where you plan to be. According to internet sources, Walmart has 597 Sam's  Cubs in 44 states. Costco has 527 outlets in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Look at their location maps on the internet and see how that lines up with your travel plans for the next year.

I joined Sams as it has more locations.  Plus there MasterCard gives you 5% back on fuel.

But as you said, you seem to see more Costco’s then Sams on your travels.  So I think that you have answered your own question.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Am I missing something here. My local Walmart photo shop did it while I waited. IIRC it was $6.95....a lot less than my local Walgreens, CVS, etc. charge. And you get a bonus if you're a people watcher, some interesting folks seen while strolling throw Walmart! 😉 

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

2 hours ago, rockintom said:

Am I missing something here. My local Walmart photo shop did it while I waited. IIRC it was $6.95....a lot less than my local Walgreens, CVS, etc. charge. And you get a bonus if you're a people watcher, some interesting folks seen while strolling throw Walmart! 😉 

You would think the question the poster was asking was about where to get a passport photo.  Several members thought that.  But in fact he was not asking that question, as he restated.  The real question was at the end of his post asking which club to join, Sams or Costco?  Not sure why he did not just come right out with it.

Sam's Club closed 63 stores about a year ago, including all of their stores in Washington and Alaska.   They also closed their Casa Grande AZ store, which was important to Escapees who stay at the Casa Grande Escapees Co-op.  Costco is still expanding.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer to this. The real answer is "it depends".

We have been Sams Club members for 25 years. Why? When we lived in Houston in the 90s Sams was the only game in town. We have considered joining Costco but feel they are too pricey for what we would get back. We also like Sams Club Scan and Go App, use it all the time, just speeds things up. We mostly buy gas at Sams and about once a month or 2 go in to buy a few items when in winter camp, rarely when on the road.

Sams Club also opens at 7AM for their business customers vs. 10 AM for regular customers. Their pharmacy opens at 9 AM. We have found we can go in early, they really don't seem to care.

We spend the winters in Rockport TX and the nearest Costco is ~175 miles away on the south side of Houston.  There is a Sam's Club in Corpus Christi which is ~30 miles away.  We had dropped our Costco membership for a couple of years because that seemed like a long way to drive, but we reactivated it last summer when we were touring through areas of the country where Costco's are plentiful and Sam's Clubs are hard to find.  Recently, I ordered a few things on Costco.com and discovered that its shipping costs can be rather low, at least on some items.  In addition, Costco now offers free shipping ($75 minimum), and 2nd day delivery on a whole bunch of household products. 

Heck, here in TX 175 miles isn't all that far to go shopping so I think we'll probably go to Houston occasionally to shop at the Costco there.😀

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Been Costco members for fifteen years. Before that Sams. In our opinion Costco is more upscale than Sams and they seem to offer a better variety of goods. Here in the RGV Costco is in Pharr which is fairly easy drive for us. Since we are full timers we buy mostly paper goods, non perishables and hearing aid supplies😀. We also love the cookies and the $1.50 lunch including the soda. 

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

I have a membership for both. That way I  can stop at whatever is available. Why limit yourself. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Have  both memberships and like them both.  Got the last set of tire on my truck at Costco.  Also like many of their Kirkland brand product lines.  Often order K-cup coffee 2nd day delivered from them to wherever we are at the time.  Now in Yuma and use Sam's when to lazy to drive the 60 miles to Costco.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Been a member of both IMO there is no difference ecempt   `if there is one or the other wherever you are.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

6 hours ago, whj469 said:

Sam's has the large Polish hot dog, Hebrew National, and a 32oz drink for $1.83! We only have a few Costco's in our area.

Not to mention the $5 3lb rotisory chicken, I think it is 3 lbs.  much larger then what you buy in a grocery store.   MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It makes a great meal and very tasty.

Members of both--will be getting over $1k back from Sams, includes the 5% on fuel, about $200 from Costco. Mostly for fuel purchases at Sams, which usually has diesel...I prefer to shop at Costco, as the merchandise appears somewhat nicer. Like the eating choices better at Costco.   Seems easier to find the Sams, tho.

The real question was at the end of his post asking which club to join, Sams oCostco?  Not sure why he did not just come right out with it.

I did. It’s the title of the thread. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Archived