Golf Cart a must or not for Fulltime

Izzhand

In over 6 years of full-timing, the only place I have seen a golf cart in an RV park is in Florida, so I think they are a Florida thing, and useful only for really big RV parks or PUDs like the Villages.  I also had two knees replaced and use an electric bike or just walk. 

They are not allowed on roads and are too big for sidewalks in most places, so other than around a campground, I don't know where you would drive them.  I can't think of any places where you could use them to sightsee or go shopping with since there are not any paths that i have ever seen where they would be allowed. 

Golf carts are very popular here in Port Aransas, TX.  Many owners in our park own one and guests can rent one to use during their stay.  The city of Port Aransas regulates usage, a license and proof of  insurance is required and use is restricted to streets with 35 mph or less speed.  Carts can also be leagally used on the beach which is partly why they are so popular here.  Whether or not one would  be of value to you will depend a lot on where you are and the local ordinances  regulating use.  For us here in Port A we find the cart a very nice luxury item but not quite a neccessity, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

16 hours ago, Solo18 said:

In over 6 years of full-timing, the only place I have seen a golf cart in an RV park is in Florida, so I think they are a Florida thing, and useful only for really big RV parks or PUDs like the Villages.  I also had two knees replaced and use an electric bike or just walk. 

They are not allowed on roads and are too big for sidewalks in most places, so other than around a campground, I don't know where you would drive them.  I can't think of any places where you could use them to sightsee or go shopping with since there are not any paths that i have ever seen where they would be allowed. 

They are not in Florida only. We have seen them in many Rv parks and we have them in  Rv parks in Ohio our next door neighbor has one at his permanent site in a RV park in Ohio. We can use our golf cart in our large Rv complex in Florida   as well as restaurants shops and stores  near the complex.  Depends on where you are as to how you can use them.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I would say that more than half of the folks in the bigger "Winter Texan" parks have golf carts, but those are folks who stay for months at a time (or are permanent residents) and often have a park model or "fixed" RV that stays at the site. The golf cart typically remains at the site when they are away.

Very different in my mind than what the OP described, which is spending 8 months on the road as they travel from Florida west in their Montana Fifth-wheel. The logistics of hauling a golf cart around under those circumstances is hugely different than having one at your "winter place". 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived