Golf Cart a must or not for Fulltime

Izzhand

We are just beginning full time RVing, trying to decide if a golf cart is a must or a luxury. We have a fifth wheel and it has been a challenge to find a carrier, but we have. The real question is it worth the $9,000 for the cart and carrier. Any input appreciated; on the fence. 

We fulltime and have never considered a golf cart. You can always rent one if you feel the need. The only place you could use a golf cart is in a cg. Keeping it charge might be a challenge.

Do you just plan to go to a cg for 6 months, then move to another one for 6 months?  Do you plan to travel a lot?

What is your rig? TT, MH, 5th?

I would defer this decision until you have some full timing under your belt.

We are traveling from Florida to the West, we are staying in Campgrounds; no dry camping on the schedule. A good 8 months on the road until we winter over. We have a 37 ft Montana fifth wheel. Our stays in each campground around 3 weeks until November. Husband has had two knee replacements, so consideration there. 

We are long timers. We spend 6 months during the winter on our lot in Florida. We do own a golf cart in Florida. We are in a large RV resort and we have access  to stores, restaurants, banks ,etc via the golf  cart. We travel during the summer months .We do not haul the Golf cart around with us. We have never found the need in 13 years to do so.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

CGs, I see no need.  Boondocking, depends on where/how long.  I plan on picking up a toy-hauler and a UTV as we boondock as much as possible.  Runnning around in the desert/mountians, trails/roads I don't care to run a big truck up, UTV is good for us.  Golf cart, not an option for our style of living.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

A golf cart can move two of you but if you are just worried about moving your husband consider a TravelScoot. https://www.travelscoot.com. I love mine and i can ride it inside places as well as outside. You cannot take a golf cart inside a museum or grocery store. There are couples who each have a Scoot. It is lightweight and takes up little space. One couple I know of takes their Scoots on ocean cruises. I took mine with me in my conversion van.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

Some RV parks/Campgrounds don't always allow a golf cart. I think I'd sure "wait and see" . If something is needed, I think sandys has the answer in the above post.

I agree with BobSallyH.  Unless you're planning to go to big resorts, other RV parks are generally small enough to walk or else they don't have anything to walk to.... like stores.  Siteseeing is usually done via a car/truck.  You used the word 'campgrounds'. To me, this means public parks like national parks, state parks.  We've never seen anyone use one in those types of parks.  I'd recommend you wait on this big purchase and see if the places you stay warrants the golf cart. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Six years full time and never had a need for a golf cart.  We ride bikes or walk.  

If you need a mobility scooter, that is what you get.  Many parks will not allow a golf cart unless it is street legal and licensed and only operated by licensed drivers.  A mobility scooter will generally be allowed if you have a handicap permit.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Howdy!

I haven’t found to many RV Park/Campgrounds that permit the use of ATV’s or UTV’s. Even some of the Escapees Park don’t allow them. 

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

ATVs… we've found that they're generally allowed for leaving the park and coming in..... no riding around in the park.... even at Escapees parks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Probably 10 years ago if a person had issues walking distance, then a golf cart could have been a good idea.   However, now with all the battery powered bicycles and scooters out there you have many more choices.  If wanting a golf cart just for 4 or 5 months while wintering in Florida I would consider renting instead of purchasing.

My DW had both of her knees done in her late 60's.  She doesn't like to walk long distances so she rides her bicycle for everything including daily exercise. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I would select renting if/when one was required and permitted in the RV park. Keep your $9,000 in the bank, it will go a long way when renting vs owning. Walking or biking should be preferred, remember the old saying, "use it or lose it".

Street-legal carts are available for rent as well as golf carts if preferred.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived