Car Dolly Towing

Bob Cochran

First I posted in Class C but it was suggested post here as so many use a care dolly. Also let me apologize for not doing a search first. 

To start I did a dummy and you would thing with age I would know better. I purchased a good car dolly rated for 4800 lbs thinking to use for my 2016 4x Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and my 2010 Smart car both with Automatic transmissions. Think this was not a problem wrong duh!

Ok it appears Smart car can be towed 4 down but using dolly is a problem. It appears to use the dolly will have to load on dolly back wheels on dolly and front on ground. Use seat belt to lock steering wheel relatively solid. Would need do that no matter how unloaded on dolly. Has anyone used a dolly with the Smart car any differently? I bought used and no owners manual another problem.

The Wrangler if want use the dolly will need disconnect rear drive shaft and wire or strap it up. Granted only 4 bolts but DW don't  like me crawling under to connect and disconnect it. Frankly I don't either. I will look into a drive shaft disconnect device or have bit bullet and set up to tow 4 down. I don't understand why cannot be towed 2 down with transfer case in neutral but Jeep says no way. Any other options I am missing?

Thanks for all your help with this. Yes I understand short comings of using the dolly. At the time it made sense for multiple vehicles now and what may purchase in the future.

Again thanks.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Archived