Unloading front axel?

runaway parents

3 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Ok here comes more numbers . Before bed installed steering11120lb drivers7880 total19000 lbs. After bed install steering 9540lbs drivers  14120 total 23660 lbs with out trailer hooked to it. Now with trailer hooked to it  steering 8440lbs drivers16840 lbs trailer 6960lbs total l32240lbs. all waights where taken with about 150 gallons of diesel on board. pin weight on trailer is 1400 lbs

3 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Planning on hauling a escape or a ford explorer on the deck.

And did I miss the steer axle and driver weights with the Ford Explorer on the HDT deck?

And what was the steer and drive axle weights with the Escape on the HDT deck and only 50 Gal of diesel?

Drive on..........(Heavy ........subject)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

These trucks are typically designed to carry about 75% of the weight on the tandems and 25% on the steer when fully loaded. These numbers are taken from the axle ratings.  To me your numbers sound just fine.  The drive axles with these numbers will provide better traction than a lightly loaded axle.  There are heavy haulers with a third rear axle that load the steer to drive  axle ratios even more.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

These trucks are typically designed to carry about 75% of the weight on the tandems and 25% on the steer when fully loaded. 

I was having a similar thought.  This truck would likely have the observed 11k (perhaps 12k)on the steer when loaded, and 34 on the tandem so a ratio of 1/3 on the steer.  The observed weight now, without a vehicle on board is 1/2 on the steer.  Looks good from here.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

17 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Take this to the bank..........It is WAY, WAY, easier to hit TEN holes-in-one's at Pebble Beach than arrive at accurate with the “thumb-in-tha-air-method"Truck / Trailer Weight & Balance........BUT.......how much does it matter?  ?

How much does it really matter with a HDT / RV combo? ?

4 hours ago, Randyretired said:

These trucks are typically designed to carry about 75% of the weight on the tandems and 25% on the steer when fully loaded. These numbers are taken from the axle ratings.  To me your numbers sound just fine.  The drive axles with these numbers will provide better traction than a lightly loaded axle.  There are heavy haulers with a third rear axle that load the steer to drive  axle ratios even more.

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I was having a similar thought.  This truck would likely have the observed 11k (perhaps 12k)on the steer when loaded, and 34 on the tandem so a ratio of 1/3 on the steer.  The observed weight now, without a vehicle on board is 1/2 on the steer.  Looks good from here.

We can all toss buff-chips on the fire till the cows come home but the truth is that for the most part HDT RV rigs seem to get by without much attention to Weight & Balance since the hardware is fairly robust and seldom have steer tires failed .......

My "no-tire-exceeding-80%-of-sidewall-load-rate" has served me well......so far, so good...... the 80% rule is easy on the drivers but it can be a bit more critical on the steer tires but can be attained by paying attention to balance.

Now of course being a "Geezer" I can make (and break) my own rules but it can be a bit sobering to drop by any HDT body shop and on most days you will likely see one or more truck missing a complete fender and headlight due to a steer tire failure......bad juju.........best not wonder back behind the body shop where the HDT that lost a steer tire turned turtle and lost the fender and the top of the cab.

Unlike most commercial trucks we tend to carry fairly light loads and IF we pay a bit of attention we can also carry well balanced loads as well.......

Drive on.........(Stay well ........balanced)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We are singled short with a hitch mounted behind the rear axle. Unloaded we are at 9520# on our front axle and with trailer hooked up we at 7920# with no load in the trailer garage and 8080# with a 5700# load in the trailer garage. This is without the smart car on the truck deck which should increase the front axle weight some.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, Dollytrolley said:

And did I miss the steer axle and driver weights with the Ford Explorer on the HDT deck?

And what was the steer and drive axle weights with the Escape on the HDT deck and only 50 Gal of diesel?

Drive on..........(Heavy ........subject)

Update >Ramps ordered a week ago. Wont get delivered  till snow conditions in the passes improve. Yet another winter storm warning for today threw Friday. Wont get any more weights till snow melts off trailer and truck and road conditions improve. Guess we are supposed to get 4 to 7 inches of snow today threw tomorrow. Most likely will close passes again. Probably wont get ramps till  June or July. Global warming ????????

Archived