Hmm.........Old Goat again.

phoenix2013

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Guessing they're jaws for new hitch being designed for heavy fifth wheel application.

X2

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Dollymamma takes a quick gander at 

13 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

The old goat_________________________________

9gIstEIl.jpg

has been pretty quiet lately since he is undertaking a significant "new adventure", but with help from Jack and Mark he has a "new challenge". So here's the start of it, let the guessing begin.

ft48Rmsl.jpg

Dollymamma takes a glance at those two images.........grins and says.........."you bunch of old geezers need some more Geritol with a splash of Crown Royal.......IT'S a Charm-Braclet-Smiley-Face-With-Mouth-Open-And_Big-Eye......IT will look OK hanging around the old goats neck but will clash with his eyeglass frames.........perhaps some 1-inch thick frames water-jetted-to-match-the-smileee-face"

Drive on.............(Henry gets some.......charm)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

20 hours ago, Sculptor said:

X2 on the sliding hitch.   Off Topic, Hi Henry, I picked up my new to me ET hitch last weekend.  I'm deciding how much, if any, extension to the frame.

Congratulations, those ETs just get "adopted" by new parents. I will be refurbishing and updating another one which was part of the original "dozen", built about 13 years ago and installed on the truck I designed and built 13 years ago. Anybody remember "Chef's" truck, the one with a garage for 2 motorcycles and a motorcycle lift?

Another way to do this: Find a buddy with a 3d scanner, get it scanned, and build your CAD over the scan.  Just make sure you get the scan scaled to the correct factor of 10.   Always some "wise guy" out there.  ;)

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Finally the pin test.

vdujG7yl.jpg

yrAa7sFl.jpg

I've implemented another"minor engineering change". High hitching was common with Teflon plates on Binkley heads, if the plate thickness was "generous" in thickness. I re-positioned the jaws slightly higher to keep the bottom of the pin further away from the jaws with the plate on the pin.

The cast jaws required three areas to be machined in order to work.

X63LpPRl.jpg

Actually four, the swivel pin hole needed "touch up" too. That was true on the pins Binkley has cast and on the ones I had cast. The cost of cast parts was reasonable, once I bit the bullet and had the sand mold made (Binkley would not "agree" to sell these parts to me except at an insane cost). But the secondary machining

5ZLPeJFl.jpg

zKwWJ0xl.jpg

and setup to do batches of these was quite expensive. This is not $15 bucks and hour job, this is $80 bucks an hour machine  shop time. The waterjet parts so far required none of that, I would say that waterjet is a great machinist. The only area requiring machining is taking away the material where the two jaws inter-mesh.

m6SClkEl.jpg

And there is few minutes of welding of the spacer rings to the jaw.

And indeed you are eagle eyed, I have some work to do in the area where the block engages the pins and it will be different than it was on the cast parts. Since this requires some "trial and error" I had these machined with an "extra meat" to full around with and determine the final dimensions there (in steel it's easier to take material off than to add). Once I know from these prototypes what it is I will change that dimension for the production parts. 

It looks like water jetting the parts will save you a huge amount of time.  Even if you were machining expanded foam and pouring your own sand molds and then having them poured at a foundry, this new way appears WAY faster.  ( = less $$$). Congrats on your new process!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

38 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Jim, the cast parts are a malleable cast iron that is then machined vs a steel plate. Don't know what grade of cast iron Henry spec'd out though.

That's what I'm wondering.  Is the steel of the same strength/hardness/??? as the cast part.  Assuming that the cast jaw is the same as the Binkley which is the industry standard for strength, is the steel jaw equal or greater?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

45 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Jim, the cast parts are a malleable cast iron that is then machined vs a steel plate. Don't know what grade of cast iron Henry spec'd out though.

Grade 2 (65-45-12)

t3wyKZrl.jpg

I'm sure GeorgiaHybrid can explain the difference. Incidentally, I had metallurgy lab perform the analysis of the original Binkley jaws before I got into the casting of duplicates.

The thickness of the steel parts and the cast parts is identical 1.125" thick in the critical area where they grip the king pin.

Archived