Hmm.........Old Goat again.

phoenix2013

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim, it is even more impressive in person. WAY more. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Henry, what are the tow and pin weight capacities and what is the vertical travel on this hitch?  Also, what does this beast weigh ?  I would imagine that the closer tolerances on the parts make it easier to assemble/adjust on your automated assembly line. I hope you will be at the ECR so I can get my fingerprints all aver one of these babies.

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

We can build an ET to take pretty much anything out there being towed, the basic construction of the hitch allows it, so we have ETs pulling rigs under 18K GVW to well over 30K with pin weights from under 4K to almost 9K. What we change is the airbags capacity utilized in a particular setup and pin weight. The largest airbag we install is rated at 13,500 pounds.

The ET Sr. weighs just over 700 pounds, ET Jr. just under 400. Junior hitch is a Jr. in name only, they can also utilize the 13,500 pounds air bag and are pulling trailers over 30K in GVW. Junior was designed to deal with a situation where there is a space issue, therefore Jr. moves 3 inches, 2 down and 1 up, the Sr. moves 5 inches 3 down and 2 up.

Not sure I can carry a 700 pound hitch as an "exhibit" at ECR. But I could bring a smaller part of it so you could put you fingerprint on it. Might bring the new head design which is the subject of this thread.

There isn't much "automation" that can be incorporated into building an ET, it's a very complex piece of equipment with many critical steps that need to be paid attention to during the build, that's why I am here to transfer that knowledge. But you are absolutely right, having the components built by machinery vs. by hand and having those tight tolerances made a remarkable difference during the final assembly. We are on a pathway to build six (or more) ETs in a week or so, remarkable.

I've been coy but I might as well make it official, Young's Welding is the new manufacturer of ET hitches and I couldn't be more pleased, they are a perfect company to carry on my legacy and the ET hitch line, I will be involved for a duration but I am certain that my "hands on" will not be needed for long, they are more that capable.

Also shortly, you might recognize some familiar names involved in ET sales and technical support.

So retirement "number four",  I'm certain not for long.

13 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

We can build an ET to take pretty much anything out there being towed, the basic construction of the hitch allows it, so we have ETs pulling rigs under 18K GVW to well over 30K with pin weights from under 4K to almost 9K. What we change is the airbags capacity utilized in a particular setup and pin weight. The largest airbag we install is rated at 13,500 pounds.

The ET Sr. weighs just over 700 pounds, ET Jr. just under 400. Junior hitch is a Jr. in name only, they can also utilize the 13,500 pounds air bag and are pulling trailers over 30K in GVW. Junior was designed to deal with a situation where there is a space issue, therefore Jr. moves 3 inches, 2 down and 1 up, the Sr. moves 5 inches 3 down and 2 up.

Not sure I can carry a 700 pound hitch as an "exhibit" at ECR. But I could bring a smaller part of it so you could put you fingerprint on it. Might bring the new head design which is the subject of this thread.

There isn't much "automation" that can be incorporated into building an ET, it's a very complex piece of equipment with many critical steps that need to be paid attention to during the build, that's why I am here to transfer that knowledge. But you are absolutely right, having the components built by machinery vs. by hand and having those tight tolerances made a remarkable difference during the final assembly. We are on a pathway to build six (or more) ETs in a week or so, remarkable.

I've been coy but I might as well make it official, Young's Welding is the new manufacturer of ET hitches and I couldn't be more pleased, they are a perfect company to carry on my legacy and the ET hitch line, I will be involved for a duration but I am certain that my "hands on" will not be needed for long, they are more that capable.

Also shortly, you might recognize some familiar names involved in ET sales and technical support.

So retirement "number four",  I'm certain not for long.

Glad that you have found a competent company to manufacture your product.  It had to happen.  It is part of the issue with owner operated small businesses.  There are only so many hours in the day and so much energy available.  You have designed a great product  which is widely recognized for its service and capability and you continue to share your knowledge with others.  I have only met you and your wife once, but I imagine that this makes you both happy and that you are looking forward to your next adventure.

Thank you for what you have shared with us. 

Marcel

18 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

Thank you for the kind words. We will continue to be part of this community, we have made many lifelong friends being part of it.

You are welcome Henry.  I am still available to do installs in So Cal.  I guess that is the opposite side of the country from you but only 3.5 hours from Q.  Near Jojoba Hills.

Marcel

19 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

You are welcome Henry.  I am still available to do installs in So Cal.  I guess that is the opposite side of the country from you but only 3.5 hours from Q.  Near Jojoba Hills.

A list of installers throughout the country is one of the items that will be provided to Young's. 

Henry, glad to hear you are going to retire again and thank you for making such a great product and I am very happy to have one on my truck, would love to make it to a rally at least for a check-up.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

• 2 weeks later...

Still hanging around the shop, amazed at some of the stuff being built and going out. Just an itty bitty part for a commercial laundry.

I9qBG1Fl.jpg

They have an automatic welder that can weld this why it rotates on the rollers.

txhMliFl.jpg

Just saw this going out the other day.

nZFtIdJl.jpg

Star Wars anyone?

On the ET front just got these.

6013czql.jpg

Brand new (design) sidewalls, precision laser cut and "drilled". Hours of hand drilling C-channels eliminated, accuracy improved by a magnitude, squareness improved by a magnitude, bent on computer controlled brake. Can't wait to see these go together, parts are in paint. That's the advantage of having things built with tools I could only dream off. Other improvements are also being incorporated, it truly will be a Generation 4 ET.

1 hour ago, dblr said:

I think your doing this to make current owners want to upgrade their ET's to the new and improved ones :D

There have been lots of improvements over the years.....lots. And most can be retrofitted to older hitches. This is just another "generation" of hitches that have had constant improvement over the years. The basic design is brilliant, in my opinion, and has not really changed. The improvements just make things even better. I've used and evaluated most of the suspension hitches on the market. For my heavier trailers, I use the ET, and nothing else.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

21 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

,There have been lots of improvements over the years.....lots. And most can be retrofitted to older hitches. This is just another "generation" of hitches that have had constant improvement over the years. The basic design is brilliant, in my opinion, and has not really changed. The improvements just make things even better. I've used and evaluated most of the suspension hitches on the market. For my heavier trailers, I use the ET, and nothing else.

Good info to have about upgrades, will that be a service you will be providing? Just wondering, then on our next trip west there might be a stop to see what can or should be done, thanks Jack.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Henry,

With the ET Junior would you suggest using a 1/4" or 1/8" teflon spacer on the hitch? I have the 1/4" now was thinking about ordering a new on.

Thanks,

Ken

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Ken, read up my "dissertation" on lube plates and "technology involved" and why some plates work and some do not in this thread     http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/135164-lube-plate/

All ETs, Seniors, Juniors, Super Seniors, new model Senior SSS, etc., use the same head I designed I call Super Binkley. What I talk about in the above thread applies to all new ETs and to older ET which have a regular Binkley I was installing on these.

The problem with lube plates persisted for decades as long as Binkley heads have been around. I get very frustrated answering this and  at the ignorant jackasses producing the lube plates. Every time someone new produces these, or orders new batch from China, or some other hellhole in the world, you get crap that is too thick to work. It is a situation where thicker, or more substantial is NOT BETTER. The material used in these works very well 1/8 inch thick, you do not need the thicker one.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:21 AM, dblr said:

Good info to have about upgrades, will that be a service you will be providing? Just wondering, then on our next trip west there might be a stop to see what can or should be done, thanks Jack.

Yes, we upgrade the hitches. You can contact me privately for additional info.  Not here please, since commercial activities are not allowed.

www.jackdanmayer.com

On 3/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, dblr said:

dblr, there have not been any substantial changes to the Junior, the model you have, in the last few years, so you are good. However, I am certain that Father Jack would love to see you in his new facility, he might even provide a new blessing on that ET and your rig and pronounce "go forth my son".

ET is unique among hitches and frankly among products (even high end ones) that can be upgraded at the fraction of the cost of new. Most manufacturers consider this a "very poor" marketing strategy. Can you imagine going into Apple store and say, "hey, I got this iPhone 7Plus, paid big bucks for it, can you put a new board in it and upgrade it for less of the price of the new one"? Or, bring you 5 year old car in and say, "can put in the dashboard from 2019 model in, I like the new features and the electronics, I like the rest of my car and it runs just fine". Unthinkable, it would put phone recyclers and junkyards out of business.

3 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Yes, we upgrade the hitches. You can contact me privately for additional info.  Not here please, since commercial activities are not allowed.

Ok thanks Jack sorry do not want to make trouble didn't think about the commercial part.

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

dblr, there have not been any substantial changes to the Junior, the model you have, in the last few years, so you are good. However, I am certain that Father Jack would love to see you in his new facility, he might even provide a new blessing on that ET and your rig and pronounce "go forth my son".

Henry I am sure you are correct on Jack being able to bless my set up and possible upgrade it some how, so if your still out that way just leave him a signed blank check for the upgrades he might suggest and I would be more then glad to accept the generous donation, lol

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

1 hour ago, dblr said:

Henry I am sure you are correct on Jack being able to bless my set up and possible upgrade it some how, so if your still out that way just leave him a signed blank check for the upgrades he might suggest and I would be more then glad to accept the generous donation, lol

Henry is welcome to leave a blank check. We have some nifty lighting we can put on....   :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived