Route advice to Apache/Mesa needed

Switchflicker

We're heading to Apache Junction from the north early in February this year
I was thinking of going west through Albuquerque and at Holbrook going south to Show Low, Payson and down to the Mesa Apache area.
Is there wisdom in doing that route or would we be better to stay on I40 to Flagstaff and then south?
Also could I have some thoughts on cutting out Show Low and taking no. 377 to near Heber.

Thanks very much for you help

Stan

2004 Itasca Sunrise - 8.1 - Workhorse W22 - Allison 1000 - Chevy Cobalt toad

Show Low/Payson is a great road, depending on the weather. Downhill most of the way, so watch your speeds, and drive to conditions. 40/17 is better if the weather won't co-operate, but then you have to deal with all the other drivers.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I'd recommend going through Show Low to Payson and yes, 377, is an excellent road for RVers.  If there's bad weather on this route there is sure to be equally or worse weather taking I-17 out of Flagstaff.  Another route out of Show Low is to take Hwy 60 to Globe ending in Apache Junction.  All of the above routes will have a steep downhill into the Phoenix area. Phoenix is much lower in elevation. We've done them all.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Where are you coming from originally.  I wouldn't be trying to come across I-40 in February, it is down to I-10 and an easy, safe crossing.  It might be ok going on I-40, but you can get snowed in from Amarillo west.   Best to head south and come across on I-10.  BTW, often snow up on the rim when it is warm and sunny down in the Phoenix area.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

down to I-10 and an easy, safe crossing.   Best to head south and come across on I-10.  BTW, often snow up on the rim when it is warm and sunny down in the Phoenix area.   

That^ is the way I'd be taking .

Goes around , comes around .

Thanks Darryl&Rita  Good advice

Thanks 2gypsies.  I looked at Hyw 60 to Globe and that's another good possibility.

Thanks Barbaraok  We're coming down Hwy 83 to Liberal KS. For the last number of years, we make a decision at Liberal to either go south to Lubbock TX and then work our way west to Tucson or to Albuquerque and then I 25 to I10 to Tucson. But this year we're going directly to Apache Junction, so that's why the  route is quite different.

We will most certainly keep a sharp eye on the weather and if we need to stay east of the mountains so be it.

Thanks Pete & Pat  We are keeping the options open right to the last day.  It's just that the Holbrook / Show Low route is so much shorter.  But getting there is half the fun. Right? And the way I got these nice white sideburns was to avoid 'get home itis'!!

Stan

• 3 weeks later...

A huge thank you to all who offered helpful info on the trip.
We left ALB very early in the morning and when we got to Payson, the day was still young and so were we, so we pressed on to Apache.
The sky was clear, the roads were bare and dry. The winds were light as was the traffic. The scenery was fantastic.
Once again. Thank you.

Archived