Traveling in cold weather

KevinS

Who said 50's? Run the temp high enough to keep some warm air going into the basement, and keeping the temps well above freezing. Moving air will cool the air more than you'd expect.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

31 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

At 20° and moving down the road at a modest 50 MPH , the wind chill factors at -23° . 

http://www.math.wichita.edu/~richardson/windchill.html

However, wind chill has no effect on solid objects, such as a trailer, other than to more quickly get it to the actual ambient air temperature. It can not chill it to below ambient temperatures. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

11 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

However, wind chill has no effect on solid objects, such as a trailer, other than to more quickly get it to the actual ambient air temperature. It can not chill it to below ambient temperatures. 

BUT , water will freeze that much sooner . ;) 

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

At 20° and moving down the road at a modest 50 MPH , the wind chill factors at -23° . 

Wind chill is how cold it feels on human skin. No human; no windchill.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Wind chill does not effect pipes and suck.  It only effects, plants, people and pets.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

When I have my slides in 30% of my furnace outlets are  covered and a 30 % is restricted. For that I reason I winterize and carry extra water for personal use and RV antifreeze for flushing.

I heat the RV up when the slides are out,  If the temperature are 27 or above I haven't any problems as truck seems to increase the ambient air temperature when pulling.

Wind chill is more a gauge for Bare shin. Air tight winter clothes are warmer in a wind. To see the difference put a cheap plastic rain parka on other the winter clothes. That is similar the siding on the RV., it blocking air flow.

Clay 2016 DRV 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

2. Can wind chill impact my car’s radiator or exposed water pipe?

A. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car’s radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

No, it does not get colder than the outside temperature, but the time it takes to get to that temperature is shorter because the rate of heat transfer is increased. That means that you must add heat more rapidly to maintain the temperature that you want so if your furnace is not running enough it could cool the plumbing bays below the temperature that is in the interior. In addition, no RV is airtight so the wind does increase the penetration of cold air into the areas where plumbing is located. If the outside air temperature is 20°F and the wind or travel speed causes the heat transfer out of the plumbing area to increase, the temperature differential between you plumbing that the living space will also increase and it could cause it to freeze even with the interior at 50°F. It just depends upon how tight and how well insulated your plumbing bays are. Most RV furnaces do not keep the plumbing bays as warm as they do the interior. How great that difference is will vary from one RV to the next. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

... the rate of heat transfer is increased. That means that you must add heat more rapidly to maintain the temperature that you want 

That's how I think of "wind chill" on pipes.  No, it's not the same as human skin, but driving at 60mph is going to have a significant effect on how long that heat you're pumping into the bay will stay there. I guess it's "wind suck."

14 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

No, it's not the same as human skin,

Actually, it is the same as on a human because the human body will not cool below the ambient temperature of the air either. Your body is supposed to be at 98.6°F and hypothermia is defined as the body temperature falling more rapidly that it can produce heat, causing it to fall below 95°F.  I haven't ever seen a pipe shiver though. 🤣

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived