Pets & Trucks

castlewood57

Looks like we may start looking in earnest this year for a truck, we've already got the 5th wheel decided.  But wife wants to just take the truck on a few weekend jaunts to get the dogs used to the new mode of travel.  I have 2 dogs both about 70 pounds and really don't want to hoist them up into the cab using armstrong power.

So what are people using for ramps or stairs for pets.   Wife and I can both get in ok, but lugging dogs in and out is going to get old really quick for me.  Especially since I have one that likes to fling itself off the couch at me like Dino jumping on Fred Flintstone.   The one that loves to fling itself off the couch at me, also always wants help to get up onto it's couch or bed, so one is fairly lazy, and the other one is getting up in years, and needs help just getting into a pickup truck.

Just google RV Dog Ramps and there’s a wide choice.

Here’s a compact one.  http://www.petloader.com/

Also look up RVHaulers (Gregg Shields) on YouTube.  He shows the pet loader in action.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Petloader is not cheap. But it is engineered, waterproof and easy to store. I give it an  A++.  Call them & ask if they have any "show models, etc" they just "may" have a better deal then buying off the net.

Added- we have a pair of steps in the Volvo for them to get up in the bunk, our  two 45 pounders. They're up the stairs & into the bunk for the biscuit in a flash.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

We use one of these.  Light and easy to store. 

Anything is going to be a little pain  to get out/set up, but this works for our 70lb Rottweiler.

13lb 72" ramp

Fits nicely widthwise on the bed behind the closet.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

I have seen dogs with hip issues that can not navigate a ramp easily. My dogs all love the petloader.

A few years ago I saw Jim Brumfield's dog, Trash, having issues with a ramp. Trash just didn't have the strength to push himself up it without help. I took my petloader over and Trash managed it with ease. Jim ordered one for himself and had it delivered to the rally. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks everyone,
I think we'll be going with the pet loader,  especially with Roxy, she can do a ramp now, but I know that we have very limited time that she can still do a ramp.  Gibson is just turned two, so we're hoping to have him around for quite a while.

As for costs - it's like tools, you can buy a good one and have it last your lifetime and pass it on, or you can get something cheap, and more than likely have to replace it a few times in your lifetime.  I'll check on demo models, but it won't stop me from buying one if I need to buy new.

Thank you everyone!

What model seems to work well with the second gen Volvo?

Does the loader rest on the top step or inside the door opening?  With the Petloader extended, is there some way to keep it from slipping loose from the truck?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

We have one agile dog who can just jump into our lifted Jeep from standing, and one who is stout and heavy, with zero agility.  He's 55 pounds, so we put a vest with a handle on him.  My wife has little upper body strength, but the handle makes it easy for her to boost him up with a little help from him.

Our German Shepard loves the truck, loves to ride in it. She jumps right in when we open the passenger door and then jumps out. She is only 3 years old, so we have a bit. I looked at ramps to start with, as we were not sure how she would do with the truck.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, Big5er said:

I have seen dogs with hip issues that can not navigate a ramp easily. My dogs all love the petloader.

A few years ago I saw Jim Brumfield's dog, Trash, having issues with a ramp. Trash just didn't have the strength to push himself up it without help. I took my petloader over and Trash managed it with ease. Jim ordered one for himself and had it delivered to the rally. 

Phil,

which one did you get?

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

I bought the "Pet Loader Light" with 5 steps. The steps are 16" wide by 22". It rests nicely on the top step of the Volvo, making the last step from the top step of the PetLoader to the Volvo floor. Plus you can open and close the door with it sitting on the step rather than trying to put it on the cab floor. It collapses nicely and fits into the factory compartment on the passenger side of the 780. It takes up the whole compartment but where else would you put it that is more convenient?  My little dogs have no issues with it, running up it at full speed. Bullet, my 80lb lab/chow, never hesitated to walk up or down it when he was alive either. Ramps bothered him. When he got older and his hips hurt it took too much pressure to push himself up a ramp. The petloader was big enough and sturdy enough that he could take the step one at a time with no issues. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

"Pet Loader Light" with 5 steps

One of the reviews mentioned that if you happen to purchase one of the sets, and it is too big, a step can easily be removed to make it a 4 step instead of a five step.  The step can also be added back if your needs change in the future.

Thanks for the response to the forum question Big5er, this helped myself and I suspect others were helped as well.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived