ATT Mobley $20 Unlimited Plan is Back for 2019

bigbillsd

In our coach and current toad, the OBDII power pin the Mobley uses stays alive at all times unless the battery is disconnected. In our older previous toad, that pin shuts off with the key. With the Mobley out of the OBDII port, a variable 24 vDC power supply is less than $20 on Amazon. Set at about 13 volts, it should keep the Mobley alive as long as desired.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Yep, my original "old" one works GREAT! Software has never been updated and it never shuts off unless I intentionally do it.

Do I recall you changed the SIM lock code? I wonder if that would prevent the update from installing...

Dutch

On 2/22/2019 at 1:20 PM, Carlos said:

Odd, you'd think that it would use the ignition power wire on the OBD port.  Also, a fully charged car battery is 12.6v, so it would stay on long after you turn off the car, and until the battery is partially depleted.  The float charge is 12.7-12.8 for a while after turning off the car.  I suspect your VoM might be giving false readings.

What pin is the "ignition power wire" on the OBDII port?  The diagrams I've seen only have the Pin 16 DC power input , pins 4 and 5 for chassis and signal grounds, and high and low pins for the various data busses.

As far as 12.4 volts on Pin 16 being the magic timer threshold, that's just from casual observation of the battery voltage while boondocking.  YMMV but it's definitely higher than the voltage put out by most regulated voltage wall warts and USB adapter cords.

In any case, using a straight 12 volt cord wired to OBDII pins 16, 4 and 5 seems to be working.  My Mobley is ignoring it's 2 hour shutdown setting and I'm pretty happy.

22 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Do I recall you changed the SIM lock code? I wonder if that would prevent the update from installing...

Sorry not me. I don't even know what the SIM lock code is.  On edit, I sometimes wonder if it's because I'm a light duty user.  Am always under 10 gig a month.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

12 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Sorry not me. I don't even know what the SIM lock code is.  On edit, I sometimes wonder if it's because I'm a light duty user.  Am always under 10 gig a month.

Ahh, ok then, it wasn't you. I found it curious that you hadn't gotten the update yet. Hopefully whatever is stopping it will keep working for you! ;)

Dutch

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

I called today and they are out of the Mobley but offered the Harman Spark for 34.00 monthly. 

Can you use the Spark like you can the Mobley in your house?

No, the Spark doesn't work like the Mobley in that way. Here's our full recap:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-spark-connected-car-obd-ii-device-by-harmon-is-this-a-mobley-replacement/

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 2 weeks later...

Success, I have a Mobley.

Called Saturday to connect, switched to several departments because that dept did not have access/authority to connect me. Guessing the correct dept does not work weekends.

I will call this coming week, anything I should or should not say? It does need a SIM card. I need to see how to power this from 120 volt supply , I think someone posted a USB cord for the Mobley.

Terry

I have read so much information it is jumbled up inside my head, trying to sort through this.

1. Can you keep the Mobley from locking your SIM by either never putting the SIM card in the Mobley or pull it out after activation?

2. Do you have to have the SIM in the Mobley for activation?

3. How much is a SIM card?

4. I guess the firmware update and 2 hour cut-off is adverted by the appropriate higher voltage adaptor, yes?

5. If you use the SIM in another hotspot device you should not have an issue with the firmware update, other than the locked SIM, correct?

Terry

I should be signed up for the $20 dollar unlimited plan, AT&T will be mailing me a SIM card. AT&T said to activate the account would be done online.

Does not sound like I would have to put the SIM card in the Mobley to activate, if not I would like to use the Netgear Nighthawk instead for the time being so my SIM is not locked and eliminate the time-out process.

Any advice would be helpful.

Terry

When you light up the Nighthawk, go to the admin page and change the SIM lock code one of your choosing from the default "0000". That seems to prevent the Mobley update from changing it if you should ever put the SIM in it. You do not need to leave the SIM lock active after you change it.

Dutch

On 4/5/2019 at 8:27 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

You do not need to leave the SIM lock active after you change it.

Not sure what this means or what you stated above but I think I can figure out changing the default 0000, we will see.

I ordered a Nighthawk, hopefully it will be in this coming week and the SIM card should be in this week also. My plan that I think is correct is to not put the SIM in the Mobley and go straight to the Nighthawk so nothing updates or locks down the SIM.

Thanks for your input Dutch.

Terry

8 hours ago, Carlos said:

I just plug the Mobley into the USB port on our router in the trailer when needed.  Actually easier than moving the SIM around.  It lives in the tow vehicle otherwise.

We prefer the mobility of having our Mobley SIM in our Unite Explore hotspot. It works great when sitting on the beach or hiking in the woods... ;)

Dutch

18 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

Not sure what this means or what you stated above but I think I can figure out changing the default 0000, we will see.

I ordered a Nighthawk, hopefully it will be in this coming week and the SIM card should be in this week also. My plan that I think is correct is to not put the SIM in the Mobley and go straight to the Nighthawk so nothing updates or locks down the SIM.

Thanks for your input Dutch.

To change the SIM lock code, you first have to enable the SIM lock security feature. With it enabled, you have to enter the code every time you turn on the device. But there's no requirement that it be left enabled after changing the code unless you want the extra security.

Dutch

On 4/5/2019 at 8:27 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

When you light up the Nighthawk, go to the admin page and change the SIM lock code one of your choosing from the default "0000". That seems to prevent the Mobley update from changing it if you should ever put the SIM in it. You do not need to leave the SIM lock active after you change it.

I can't get this to change or activate, I tried 0000, 1111, 1234, nothing changed on this screen.

Can anyone help?

SIM Lock.jpg

Terry

Hopefully, someone familiar with the Nighthawk will jump in. You do need to activate the SIM lock feature before you can change the code, but I don't know how that's done on the Nighthawk.

Dutch

Archived