ATT Mobley $20 Unlimited Plan is Back for 2019

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my cost  has been $22.08 then went to $22.58 in May 2018 and up to $23.32 in June 2018 and has remained at that ever since.  I cannot remember for sure but I believe the first month I had mine it was significantly higher due to activation fee or something.  I actually bought  at a time when there was some kind of deal and my activation fee was refunded and that gave me a credit for a month or so.

Also just got my first bill, it states I'll be paying $57.20 for two per month... or $28.60 each. 

Item cost broke down per the bill;

$40.00; 2ea connected car plan

$4.66; Other AT&T Surcharges

$3.44; State & Local Tax

$3.98; Admin Fee

$3.12; Fed Univ Serv Fee

$1.25; Reg recovery charge

$0.75; 911 Fee

So is this inline with what most people pay? I know the taxes (and 911?) are a local item, not sure what other fees could be driven by local entities...

But the surcharge and admin fee seem "large"

And see what others are reporting as their monthly cost per device, I just had to ask about this...

• 2 weeks later...

It's just normal AT&T service.  You will get priority data access for the first 22GB, and then de-prioritized access after that.  Your ability to stream is based on the local coverage, and after 22GB, whether the network is too busy and you get slowed down.  I don't know anything about United Explore, what carrier is that on?  Is it prioritized data all the time, or for a certain limit?

It's being reported on other forums that AT&T has exhausted their stock of Mobleys and no more are expected to be found.

The replacement device for the Connected Car Unlimited plan does actively interrogate the car's data buss, making it hard if not impossible to use outside of an actual vehicle.

RIP Mobley, it was a good run!

Edited by Lou Schneider

I have two Mobley’s that I bought when the original connected car plan was offered.  One is on 24/7 and the other is used sparingly, but they are both continuing to work great.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I haven't put the Mobley's Connected Car Plan SIM back in the actual device for almost a year now, but I assume the Mobley would still work fine if I did. The SIM is certainly earning it's keep in my Netgear Unite Explore.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just now, Mama Duck said:

I can put it in my other hotspot?

Possibly, what make/model is your other hotspot? If your Mobley's SIM has been SIM locked by the latest update though, you may have pester AT&T tech support for the unlock (PUK) codes.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Mama Duck said:

Is that all have to do?  I have an ATT unite explore already.

Actually..  AT&T doesn't officially allow the SIM cards from Connected Car devices to be moved to other types of devices (they classify hotspots differently internally). However, it currently still does work. 

We have seen them make moves to make it more difficult - like locking the SIM card to the Mobley device. To get around this, you need to obtain your PUK codes. 

Here's our article on doing that:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-connected-car-mobley-sims-reporting-as-pin-locked/

Just be prepared that AT&T could make moves in the future to further restrict this, so always have a Mobley handy to move your SIM back to.

= Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

When my vehicle insurance company sent me a device to plug into the OBDII port to track my driving habits for awhile, out of curiosity, I asked AT&T CS about moving the Mobley SIM to a different device for the duration of the testing. After consulting with a supervisor, she told me I could move it to another hotspot without violating the TOS. She said moving it to a phone would be a violation, and would be detected by the system. My AT&T account shows my Unite Explore as my current device, and my autopay amount has not changed from the original $20 plus fees. If AT&T does object at some point, I can, of course, easily put the SIM back in the Mobley. I wonder if anyone has found a way to block the firmware upgrade... ;)

Dutch

It appears the shutdown timer on the Mobley is voltage sensitive.

I use a straight 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter for my Mobley and as long as the battery voltage stays above about 12.4 volts the shutdown timer doesn't activate and my "two hour" Mobley will stay on forever.

The problem is many of the AC and USB adapters put out exactly 12 volts, which is low enough to activate the shutdown timer.

YMMV, but I've found this to be true for both my Mobley and one other that was shutting down using a USB adapter. 

Edited by Lou Schneider

Odd, you'd think that it would use the ignition power wire on the OBD port.  Also, a fully charged car battery is 12.6v, so it would stay on long after you turn off the car, and until the battery is partially depleted.  The float charge is 12.7-12.8 for a while after turning off the car.  I suspect your VoM might be giving false readings.