Mother Nature's Fury

Wizards&OZ

Rich,

We were there in 99 too at the KOA hunkering down just east of the city because they were renovating the Tinker FamCamp. IT rained pretty badly and we saw a chance with a slight break in the storm. We beat feet on I 40, two 36 Foot HitchHikers as we were killing time visiting The grand Canyon, Vegas, Salt Lake City, then Yellowstone and Glacier on the way up to Alaska as the ice melted. Just outside of town we saw that storm coming towards OKC and us at an angle to I-40. We just beat the edge out into better weather, and were shocked when we saw what we'd just missed. The days of rain preceding it were pretty bad too, just no tornadoes.

Here's our "Newsletter From The Road" about it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id28.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On March 28, 2000 an EF3 tornado struck downtown Ft. Worth, including several high rise buildings. It was televised live on TV news via cameras channel 5 has on top of buildings and we watched it happen, live. More recently, on Mother's Day evening in 2015 an EF3 struck Van, TX 8 miles from our home and destroyed 30% of the community, injured 43 and killed 2. The two killed were a couple we knew well from church and I was part of the crew who cleaned up afterward. It does make us much more inclined to pay attention to the warnings.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a CB radio in the MH that has NWS weather channels, the radio is always on unless the MH is in storage. That alerts us to impending bad weather. DW has a weather app on her phone for when we are away from the MH.

It is important to know the location of the shelter, and name of county where the CG is located.

Anything bought with money can be replaced with money. We have a bug-out bag/backpack with essentials(meds for a week, etc) in it, when the alarm sounds we grab that bag and  go to the designated shelter. Hurricane Katrina and other disasters proved you cannot save your possessions, only yourselves.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived