Help With Routing To New England

SuiteSuccess

Planning a trip to Vermont/New England sometime this summer.  Campground is Quechee/Pine Valley in White River, VT off I-91.  Have been as far as Harrisburg/Hershey PA but not past that area.  Any help with routing that would keep us out of New York City and major congested areas?  Because of timing would mainly stay on interstates unless some other road would not slow us down too much.  Thanks.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I live in the Boston area, and we regularly tow south to go racing, and we used to go to a track near White River Junction (assume you mean that, rather than White River, VT).

The route we would usually take would be via Scranton, PA.

Take 81 N from the Harrisburg area to Scranton, PA and then take 84 to Hartford.

You will pick up 91N there and avoid all of the NYC traffic.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

assuming you're starting from somewhere near your home state TN, you've got 2 reasonable interstate options: either I-81/78/287/91 which takes you near NYC but well outside the worst of it; or the longer way around to the north, I-75/71/90 where you trade going near NYC for going through Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland.  I think the drive through Virginia is so much nicer than the drive through Ohio that I would lean toward the southern option and try to time the ride around NYC on a weekend. The Ohio route would be hard to time going through all 3 major cities on weekends or off hours. Any corridor through the NE is going to involve congestion & traffic, There are also unlimited options to get off the Interstates and go cross country on blue hiways, there are also other Interstates that interconnect to the above options. With so many hiway options in this heavily used area, the choice is usually what spots you want to visit or which you want to avoid.

Jim

30 minutes ago, jeffw said:

I live in the Boston area, and we regularly tow south to go racing, and we used to go to a track near White River Junction (assume you mean that, rather than White River, VT).

The route we would usually take would be via Scranton, PA.

Take 81 N from the Harrisburg area to Scranton, PA and then take 84 to Hartford.

You will pick up 91N there and avoid all of the NYC traffic.

Thanks Jeff, that is the route we were thinking.

28 minutes ago, JRP said:

assuming you're starting from somewhere near your home state TN, you've got 2 reasonable interstate options: either I-81/78/287/91 which takes you near NYC but well outside the worst of it; or the longer way around to the north, I-75/71/90 where you trade going near NYC for going through Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland. its a tossup to me. I think the drive through Virginia is so much nicer than the drive through Ohio that I would lean toward the southern option and try to time the ride around NYC on a weekend. The Ohio route would be hard to time going through all 3 major cities on weekends or off hours. Any corridor through the NE is going to involve congestion & traffic, There are also unlimited options to get off the Interstates and go cross country on blue hiways, but thats going to add lots of extra miles and many more hours for a trip of this length. There are also other Interstates that connect to the above options.

Thanks for the suggestion.  We like the VA drive also.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have done the 84 route before but it can get crazy in Ct. plus unless it's changed watch for signs for 91 as it can get tricky, 91 up to Vt.is a nice drive. 

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Anyone gone north on I-87 and cut across on 4 to White River Junction?  I ask because we may come back and spend some time in the finger lakes region of New York.

Alternative would be 90 Massachusetts Turnpike (not ideal)?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

17 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

Just passing through, I would run 81/84/91. Used to do this almost every week. Still do it every year to go to NH.

Be aware the Mass pike has gone to all electronic tolls, so you will get a bill in the mail if you don't have ezpass. 

Ok 81/84/91 it is.  Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

14 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Anyone gone north on I-87 and cut across on 4 to White River Junction?  I ask because we may come back and spend some time in the finger lakes region of New York.

Alternative would be 90 Massachusetts Turnpike (not ideal)?

The first time I went to Vt. to ski we went that way and in a car it was fine but we picked up Rt.100 to head to Sugarbush and that road has lots of curves, now coming home we saw them towing mobile homes north and I thought Oh Hell no!!!! I am sure if you take your time all will be fine.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

81 of course you want to avoid Harrisburg at rush hours, it then is usually not too bad up until around 162mile marker which is Wikes Barre. From there until you hit the 84 split will be like the start of the Daytona 500. The only good part is that part of the corridor is only about 30 miles long. 84 on up thru the rest of the way is not too bad. I used to live in NEPA and worked in CT so used to drive that weekly.  Now down here in South Central PA.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

I live in White River Jct.  I go, as mentioned, 81 to 84.  But, at Newburgh, NY, take 87 N. 

About 10 miles South of Albany take 912M, a short connector to the Mass Pike [90].  This will take you to 91 N, just north of Springfield, MA.  84 East from Newburgh, through Hartford and onto 91 N has some tricky lane changes, and can be a real PITA on most days. Taking 87 N is a much more pleasant drive and is only @ 10miles longer.  It's well worth it. 

You do not want to drive West to East or visa versa in Vermont.[period].  Rt. 100 will fill your cab with blue smoke and Rt. 7 / Rt. 4 East from Albany almost the same.

I've dumped tanks at Pine Valley once or twice...didn't notice many big rig spots.

Happy to answer any questions.

Ron

4 hours ago, rogo88 said:

I live in White River Jct.  I go, as mentioned, 81 to 84.  But, at Newburgh, NY, take 87 N. 

About 10 miles South of Albany take 912M, a short connector to the Mass Pike [90].  This will take you to 91 N, just north of Springfield, MA.  84 East from Newburgh, through Hartford and onto 91 N has some tricky lane changes, and can be a real PITA on most days. Taking 87 N is a much more pleasant drive and is only @ 10miles longer.  It's well worth it. 

You do not want to drive West to East or visa versa in Vermont.[period].  Rt. 100 will fill your cab with blue smoke and Rt. 7 / Rt. 4 East from Albany almost the same.

I've dumped tanks at Pine Valley once or twice...didn't notice many big rig spots.

Happy to answer any questions.

Ron

Thanks.  Local information is so valuable.  I talked to the campground manager (she winters in Florida) and she was adamant she could fit me easily.  Says she’s had HDTs there before.  Guess we’ll see or it’s gonna be a long drive back.

BTW so is 912m (90) the turnpike?  If so how do I get a pass or pay?  The only tag visible will be on the trailer.  Tennessee only gives out one tag and since my truck is registered as a motor home it is on the rear of the truck and not visible to an overhead camera.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, don't forget that your trip as far as Pennsylvania will be in free states. Immigration will probably strip search someone from the south trying to find a weapon when you cross the border into The Peoples Republik of New York though so be prepared. Wear clean underwear and leave any sort of self protection behind. I think the best protection you are allowed is a set of knee pads to beg for your life.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

If you don't go on 87 there are no tolls. I couldn't find 912M on the map, I probably need stronger glasses. I am always looking for a new way in and out of Vermont. Rogo88 is correct in that there is no good way to cross Vermont east to west. If you like mountains then there are several beautiful routes over them. 100 runs north to south, and if you are in White River the easiest way across is 89. But it's also the longest. Where did you want to go in NY? If you going all the way to Albany then you can take 81/88/90 but 90 is a toll road

Lance,

Considering meeting some friends in the finger lakes region.  He was employed by the New York Park Service and knows the area very well.  Possibly will meet near Ithaca.  912M is I-90 south of Albany joining 87 and 91.  This may end up being a “car” trip rather than the big rig because we like back country roads to see the country.  Living in East Tennessee switchbacks and hills are no bother in a car.  Different story in big rig.

David,

Already aware of the “issues” so will take precautions.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

If you go by car then 81 to 88 to 87 then 4 across VT will work. If I was touring I would do it with the truck and trailer. Rutland has a couple of tight turns.

That’s our preference but still a work in progress.  We toured Maine a few years ago and really enjoyed some of the back country. We flew into Portland.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived