What About Jury Duty?

TherapyBound

We are planning to travel for an extended period (probably 2 years) and it occurred to me it's possible one of us will be chosen for Jury Duty during that time (we'll still have a house). I was recently called, and that typically means you'll get called again. How do you handle being called for Jury Duty while traveling? What if we're in Alaska, and our home state is Florida?

Odd first question, I know, but it's today's pre-trip nagging question. ;) 

It's not an odd question - happens all the time to full-timers. I don't know about your county in Florida, but Polk County, TX, is used to dealing with this situation. In fact, the notices don't typically reach us until after the jury selection date because of mail-forwarding delays. I have simply called the number on the notice (court clerk), explained to them that we are full-time RVers and out of state at the time, and they take us off that list. Doesn't mean we won't come up on another list again, though.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

The answer also depends on where your current residence is. Jury service laws vary from state to state and some factors also by jurisdiction within a state. I suggest that you contact the courts in the county where you live just to make sure. In addition, on rare occasion, one can be called to serve on a federal court jury and that is an entirely different set of rules but you probably would be released with a phone call. I am aware of this because it did happen to me one time in the 12 years on the road. Come to think of it, a federal jury call has only been sent to me once in my entire life! So it is rare but can happen. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In South Dakota I was told to write a note explaining that I am an SD resident "who travels a lot" and would not be in the state at the time I was called to serve.  I never heard back and there were no issues.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Some states have an age limit. For instance, if you are over 70 you might be excused just for that. I think all states and probably federal have a medical excuse option. You might want to check out the options in your community before you need them. I suspect if you Google your location with the words "jury duty" you could find out pretty easily.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I was calld for jury duty once when I was a deputy and the sheriff wouldn't give me the time off I was on nights. So I showed up in full uniform the judge sent me home to change, still didn't let me out of jury duty. And 1 time the sheriff went to the retirement home and brought back half a dozen people because they needed jurors. My parents full time and they have never had a problem with being out of statement when they were called for jury duty. They just called and when they're home they let them know.

We have a friend, that is in fact a U.S. citizen, but under U.S. laws is an ex pat. She uses our address for a U.S. driver license, etc. She got a jury notice so I called the the court clerk and explained the situation. I was told that she had to report. I said "fine" so provide her the the transportation to the court house as required by law. I told them that would be from the U.K. There was an extended period of silence on the line and then I was asked for her overseas address so they could send her a letter removing her from the jury list. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

23 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

We are planning to travel for an extended period (probably 2 years) and it occurred to me it's possible one of us will be chosen for Jury Duty during that time (we'll still have a house). I was recently called, and that typically means you'll get called again. How do you handle being called for Jury Duty while traveling? What if we're in Alaska, and our home state is Florida?

Odd first question, I know, but it's today's pre-trip nagging question. ;)

We only had our sticknbrick for just over 2 years in Florida (Lee County) before going back to full time.  During that time we were traveling from May to November and out of state.  I received a jury notice during the summer.  Called them and told them I wouldn't be back home until after November.  They put me in the next pool.  I didn't get picked when I showed up.  I am pretty sure you can opt out once you reach 70 in Florida.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

13 hours ago, whj469 said:

That would be ridiculous to expect someone to report for jury duty when they told you that the will not be in the state, even if it happened 10 times in a row! 

Some jurisdictions will wave appearance but ask when you will return and give a new summons date. That was the case for Pam once years ago when she was summoned. 

11 hours ago, Chalkie said:

She got a jury notice so I called the the court clerk and explained the situation. I was told that she had to report. I said "fine" so provide her the the transportation to the court house as required by law.

Juror pay and expense allowances vary a great deal from one court to the next. A jury summons comes from the court and the majority are from the county courts but there are also federal, state, and municipal courts that sometimes call a jury. Jury pay is usually set by state laws and the same is true of travel as some states still do not pay any travel.  The National Center for State Courts has a listing by state of what each one has set for jury pay and expense allowance. It makes interesting reading as the rate seems to range from $5/day to as much as $50/day and many states do not pay any travel. The Federal courts do pay "reasonable" travel, whatever that is and $50/day. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 1/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, sandsys said:

When you call, some places ask you to check in when you are at home in case they need you then.

Linda Sand

This has happened with us in the past and we provided them with the date we hoped to be back by and within a couple of weeks of being home we each received a notice.  Mrs. C. had to serve once but I was excused as the person served by the defense was a former student.  

I have more than a decade before I reach 70, and I don't really want to opt out, I just want to be sure service can be delayed until we return to Florida. Good to hear it's possible, and I'll look into the specifics for my county a bit more. I do seem to get called a fair bit, and I'm happy to serve, just not during that 1-2 year period!

I was called once for a local court and once for a Federal court. I wasn't picked for either one. Both of those came several years ago, but fairly close in succession. Jo Ann was called once and was selected to be on the jury. Again, that was several years ago. Since we became SD residents we haven't heard from any jury calls. If and when that happens we'll call and see what we have to do.

Here's a link for South Dakota jury information:  https://www.juryduty101.com/states/south-dakota

It looks like one could click on any other State to see what the requirements are there.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived