Measure Road Distance

rogo88

For some years, I have used freemaptools.com and found it to be a great fit for what I like to do re: trip planning.  One of its nicest features is that it measures distance along a road, NOT as the crow flies.  Click on a winding road and then at another spot further down the way, and it will provide the actual distance.  The distance will remain accurate even if you zoom in and out.  Unfortunately, in July, "Increase in costs for back-end services" forced the cancellation of some features.  This feature was one of them.  I could not find another mapping or trip planning app that can measure road distance other than "crow flies" distance.  If Google Maps can do it, I have not found the secret.  lf it was a "back-end service for freemaptools.com, then someone had to provide it to them.  Is anyone aware of an app that can provide the feature I'm describing?   Thanks.

Ron

Thank you P&P...

If I am understanding you, that is the basic Google Maps method.  Each time you drag their route to your preferred route, you are simply creating another "as the crow flies" distance, not the actual distance on the road.  The accuracy will be dependent on the number of times you click and drag.  Over a long winding distance, that will be a big number and take a long time.  The app I mentioned does/did this process for you.  After you selected your start and finish points, the app measured multiple points along the route, around curves, etc. and provided a total of all of them.  No "click and drag".  It might take five or ten seconds, but the app did it for you.

Ron

22 hours ago, rogo88 said:

If I am understanding you, that is the basic Google Maps method.  Each time you drag their route to your preferred route, you are simply creating another "as the crow flies" distance, not the actual distance on the road. 

Not at all.  When you ask Google Maps to determine a route from Point A to Point B, it determines one or more routes, along roadways, to accomplish that. It gives true road miles on each route and anticipated drive time.  If you don't like any of the suggested routes you can drag the route onto the road(s) that you desire and Google Maps will once again determine true road miles and anticipated drive time. 

There is no "as the crow flies" element to it. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Mark & Teri;

Thank you.  I know how I want to get there: just want to measure distance, so went to the "Measure Distance" tab.  I see that I should be requesting directions, and then work on the distance and route aspects from there.  Thanks again.

Ron

8 minutes ago, rogo88 said:

I see, they don't show up on the maps.  You have to request directions to make them available...kind of strange.

Thank you, Ron

Actually they do show up on the maps if you zoom in closely. They are in small green boxes. 

Like most on-line maps you get more detail if you zoom in. This keeps down the clutter if you are zoomed out. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived