HDT Insurance

CSteveM

Does anyone have insurance on an HDT that's titled as an RV in the state of Alabama?

My State Farm agent is beyond clueless when it comes to my Volvo and RV.

I would like to talk to an agent that is familiar with our trucks

Steve

2012 VNL630

2010 DRV 36RLS  

A second vote for FCIS. They're based in Iowa but, got my Super-C HDT which is registered in SD covered by Progressive through FCIS. My sales rep is Josh Pagel, 800-331-1520 (general #, ask for sales). I did everything over the phone  or online. I now have my RV, Prius, Featherlite car trailer and an Umbrella policy with progressive for two+ years. I've been very happy with the service FCIS provides.

As for State Farm in Alabama the agent should be able to look in the Commercial Truck section and narrow down the search to HDT and or Toter Home.  If not then he calls the head office since they do insure your type of truck.

he has to get to the right section and then the sub section.

the words HDT toter or toterhome  helps a lot

Side note: if you get a quote on your truck and fiver, check other places as noted in other posts.   A separate agent/broker can shop around were as a agent is regulated to the company he/she works for.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

I am talking to FCIS now

As to State Farm its the "head office" that seems to be the question. I would have thought they could do exactly as staffnon said. I have established insurance with them now but they have said they were not going to renew - trying to work this out with them.

I have State Farm in Michigan and have an antique plate. Only says on title its an 1984 Peterbilt. I just have a declared value cause its restored like new. I had Gulfway before but there a 1000 mi. away and State Farm 20 mi. and more declared value for same price. No luck with them before till I contacted a different agent.

Miller and FCIS can both insure. BE SURE TO ASK ABOUT BOBTAILING  COVERAGE AND CARRYING A SMART IF APPROPRIATE.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Keep in mind that insurance will vary by state.  State Farm will insure an HDT in some states but not all.  In Texas for example, State Farm will only insure a HDT as a commercial vehicle.  Your agent will submit your request for insurance to an under writer.  If the under writer will give very few if any details as to why they will not insure or why they will only insure under "X" terms/conditions.  My State Farm agent could not understand why the under writers would say only as a commercial account (even with RV title) and would press them with little to no answers as to why.  After a little over 18 months she finally learned it was a charter issue with the state.  State Farm has been selling insurance for so long in the state that when they drafted their charter they considered anything over 30k or 32k pounds commercial.  The process of changing the charter was too pricy for the amount of market share they may gain by making the changes to the charter.  So they do not insure big RVs as a result.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion about bobtailing. FCIS has told me that they will only cover the truck when I am pulling the trailer, when refueling and travelling for service.

So wouldn't cover our typical 10 trips to Walmart or any other side trips.

I have asked if they have anyone other than Progressive Specialty underwriting the policies that don't have that restriction.

I use Shelter Insurance, in Kansas I can use it as I like, tow anything.      

https://www.shelterinsurance.com/

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We have State Farm but did it when we lived in MN. The move to SC took a few discussions with both the old and new agent to get it worked out.

BMzero use to live in Alabama but not sure who he used or if he still frequents this forum since he sold his HDT and moved to Utah. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

15 hours ago, SWharton said:

I am very surprised at FCIS, try Miller Miller 800-622-6347

Miller told me the same thing. No bobtailing.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

57 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Miller told me the same thing. No bobtailing.

Same here.  It's probable that this varies state to state.  Miller's price was good, but not with the restrictions stated.

We have Progressive, through Lazy Days RV.  I can bob tail all I want, and pull any trailer, so long as it's not in commercial use.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

When talking to FCIS they also checked with National General and they have the same restrictions

Good news though - I got word yesterday that State Farm had decided to renew my current policy for the Volvo. Insured as an RV and no restrictions.

Had to send pictures of inside/outside of the Volvo plus my DRV also a copy of the insurance policy for the DRV.

I still don't understand the logic behind the restrictions from Progressive and National regarding bob tailing.

SWharton,  Its been a frequent subject here over the last several years. Insurance Underwriters have gotten much more selective in what they're willing to insure. It varies company to company, they each have their own conditions & restrictions. It varies state to state, each state regulates insurance slightly differently and the underwriters take that into consideration when doing their risk assessment. and yes it matters how you answer some of their questions, but misleading them upfront can result in denial of coverage later.  Before I sold my HDT, I had it insured through Miller with National Interstate, but NI would only insure an HDT if it was singled, no tandems. Although I had several other vehicles & homes insured by State Farm, they wanted nothing to do with my HDT.

Jim

Archived