No water pressure in 5th wheel

Mturne62

2004 keystone cougar. Just recently our water pressure has been super low, hardly existent. We thought maybe it was frozen pipes, but we disconnected the pipe that goes into our 5th wheel and water came spurting out. When we turn the faucet on theres a quick spurt like we have good water pressure, then it goes to hardly coming out. We havent done anything differently. The only thing I can think of is I was moving stuff around in the under carriage and moved something up against the small tubes underneath. But I'm pretty sure the parts of the tubes it brushed against weren't valves that managed the pressure. What could be wrong and where is all the water going that's coming from the hose connection?

First, let me welcome you to the Escapee forums. We will do all that we can to help you. 

You haven't said where you are located, but if it has been unusually cold it is quite possible that something did freeze up inside of the RV.  A quick check of your water system would be to turn off the outside water supply and try using the pump from your fresh water tank to see if anything changes. If what you disconnected was your freshwater hose from the park hydrant, the problem might be in the hose and it could be frozen or blocked. To check that, disconnect the hose from the RV and then turn the water back on at the hydrant to see if water flows freely. 

The spurt of water that you describe sounds like there is a severe flow restriction somewhere as the pressure would slowly build up to it's normal level even with a restriction when no faucet is open. Then when you open a faucet you would get just a spurt, then slow to whatever volume of water that restriction allows. Do you get the same result in either the kitchen or bathroom? Have you tested your outside faucet/shower to see if water does the same there? 

Most RV water lines are made of PEX and as such, it would take something that was extremely heavy laying on one of them to restrict the water flow as you describe. If somehow that line was bent to a very sharp turn it could do so, much like bending a hose back on its self to stop water flow. 

Let us know if any of our suggestions seem to help.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would bet on the check valve broke on the city water inlet. When no water is in use the valve sits idle. Since it leaked by it has that spurt of pressure when you open a faucet. Then the broken stem moves forward and blocks most of the water flow inward.

Now with the city supply hose off water comes out. Turn the pump on and I bet it pumps water out that fitting. If that is the case you need to replace that fitting.

To replace that fitting normally just remove the screws from that fitting, pull out enough to take the fitting off and replace it. 

To get by for wawhile fill the fresh tank and use that water till the problem is fixed. You will need to have city water hose on to stop the back flow of water. But then u can use the water.

Just a thought,.   Vern

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

First, let me welcome you to the Escapee forums. We will do all that we can to help you. 

You haven't said where you are located, but if it has been unusually cold it is quite possible that something did freeze up inside of the RV.  A quick check of your water system would be to turn off the outside water supply and try using the pump from your fresh water tank to see if anything changes. If what you disconnected was your freshwater hose from the park hydrant, the problem might be in the hose and it could be frozen or blocked. To check that, disconnect the hose from the RV and then turn the water back on at the hydrant to see if water flows freely. 

The spurt of water that you describe sounds like there is a severe flow restriction somewhere as the pressure would slowly build up to it's normal level even with a restriction when no faucet is open. Then when you open a faucet you would get just a spurt, then slow to whatever volume of water that restriction allows. Do you get the same result in either the kitchen or bathroom? Have you tested your outside faucet/shower to see if water does the same there? 

Most RV water lines are made of PEX and as such, it would take something that was extremely heavy laying on one of them to restrict the water flow as you describe. If somehow that line was bent to a very sharp turn it could do so, much like bending a hose back on its self to stop water flow. 

Let us know if any of our suggestions seem to help.

Its definitely not frozen. It's nearly 45 degrees and we had the water trickling for nearly 24 hours to see if it would unclog it. The pipe part that connects to the trailer is fine. Lots of water going through there. Were connected to a house so we dont use our pump I dont believe. Thought maybe the regulator was clogged so we took that off and put the pipe back onto the trailer with no regulator, same thing happened. It's all throughout the trailer. All faucets, shower  and toilet. I've read it could be the water filter that's clogged but I dont know where that is and I've also read most keystones dont have one. I'm stumped

4 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I would bet on the check valve broke on the city water inlet. When no water is in use the valve sits idle. Since it leaked by it has that spurt of pressure when you open a faucet. Then the broken stem moves forward and blocks most of the water flow inward.

Now with the city supply hose off water comes out. Turn the pump on and I bet it pumps water out that fitting. If that is the case you need to replace that fitting.

To replace that fitting normally just remove the screws from that fitting, pull out enough to take the fitting off and replace it. 

To get by for wawhile fill the fresh tank and use that water till the problem is fixed. You will need to have city water hose on to stop the back flow of water. But then u can use the water.

Just a thought,.   Vern

Where can I find all of those pipes at? Are you talking about the inlet that let's the water in that connects to the outside pipe? Is that what you think is broken? And I'm also not sure what fitting you mean. Can you specify? Thanks

If you look into the fitting where u attach the hose for city water there maybe a screen along with the rubber seal for the hose first. Remove that screen, then look for a white plastic stem looking out at u. It is about 1/8" diameter and it mite be brown from minerals. So that stem should have a peice of plastic across it to hold it from going in any farther. If that piece is not holding the stem from going in all the way, it can go in and block the flow of water past that point.

You may be able to pull that chech valve out. It will work on city water that way. But if you use the pump without the fitting pluged it will pump water out that fitting.

Five minutes to look for that problem

.  Hope that helps,.   Vern

I am thinking the same problem as Vern. Start by turning off city water and remove the hose from the fitting on the side of the RV. If you do not have any water in the RV tank, put a few gallons into it so that you can try the fresh water pump. The tank fill should look something like this:

318ldxibQAL._AC_US160_.jpg   or possibly this:  41JnPmU31BL._AC_US160_.jpg

Once you have some water in the tank, locate the water pump switch and turn it on to see if it supplies water to the faucets and also check the hose connection to see if water is leaking out of it, as Vern suggested. 

5 hours ago, Mturne62 said:

Where can I find all of those pipes at? Are you talking about the inlet that let's the water in that connects to the outside pipe? Is that what you think is broken? And I'm also not sure what fitting you mean.

We are talking about the connection where you put the garden hose. It will look similar to this picture.

312EWCKUT+L._AC_US160_.jpg

That is where the water will probably come out with the fresh water pump running if the check valve is broken. There are holes in the outer rim of that fitting with screws in them. If you remove those screws you can then pull the fitting away from the side of the RV and the water tubing will have enough slack to allow you to pull it out to replace it. It will not be easily pulled out because there is caulking material on the back of it and you should use new caulking tape when you install the new one. If you do not know where the pump switch is located, it should look pretty much like one of these.

21oHsqk8B2L._AC_US160_.jpg       or         51KY63VvHmL._AC_US160_.jpg         211vp3PInhL._AC_US160_.jpg

If you have a problem doing this repair, any mobile RV tech can do the job for you and will probably have the fitting in his truck. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived