Oil testing Speedco vs Blackstone

Chuck

2003 vnl 610,  5000 miles on fresh oil at the time of this sample. Approx 642,000 on the clock at time of sample.

As I had no record of previous testing, I stopped at Spoedco in El Paso to have a test run with 5000 miles since the last oil change. I also had a Blackstone vile, so I sent it in as well. There are dramatically different testing results from the two. Speedco  indicated a severe copper and chromium presence. The narrative indicated that I had dirty air getting into the system. And that I should  perhaps change the filter (which I did) and check all induction connections. They also indicated, that this could be negatively affecting engine aware. However, the Blackstone lab test results indicated none of this. There are no issues. Both oil samples taken at the same time. Anybody have any comments on this?

Speedco is selling a service tied to product sales.  

Blackstone is selling a service with results tied to an individual taking care of their engine.  

I let Speedco change the fluids and filters, but I don't buy into their testing of coolants, oil analysis, etc.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Depends on the Speedco. Did they clean their machine after the previous sample?  Plus were they trying to sell you something?  I think Blackstone has better quality control and I would trust their report. Saying that I get my oil changes at local Speedco and three years running I did sample at Speedco and sent to Blackstone also. Reports were the same so now I just use my local Speedco. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Even the employees at various Speedco locations told me their oil sample results are garbage and I should use Blackstone.  I would trust the Blackstone results and ignore the Speedco Results.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

I have never tried Speedco.  I did do a comparison between JG labs   https://www.jglubricantservices.com/  and Blackstone labs. www.blackstone-labs.com/

Having worked in a oil analysis lab when I was in the AF, I was querious how they compared. The were pretty close and no major differences. 

There are a couple of important things to getting a good sample. I always use the vacuum pump and be careful to not stick the sample tube into the bottom of the pan. You can use the dipstick to measure the sample tube so it doesn't do this. I hear of people catching their sample when they are draining the sump. This is a good way to get a bad sample. You are catching oil as it is washing the sludge from the bottom of the pan.  

I always recommend to not drain your oil till you get the sample back. That way if you get bad sounding report like Chuck did you can send anouther sample as a double check. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

13 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I have never tried Speedco.  I did do a comparison between JG labs   https://www.jglubricantservices.com/  and Blackstone labs. www.blackstone-labs.com/

Having worked in a oil analysis lab when I was in the AF, I was querious how they compared. The were pretty close and no major differences. 

There are a couple of important things to getting a good sample. I always use the vacuum pump and be careful to not stick the sample tube into the bottom of the pan. You can use the dipstick to measure the sample tube so it doesn't do this. I hear of people catching their sample when they are draining the sump. This is a good way to get a bad sample. You are catching oil as it is washing the sludge from the bottom of the pan.  

I always recommend to not drain your oil till you get the sample back. That way if you get bad sounding report like Chuck did you can send anouther sample as a double check. 

Bill

Hello Bill,

Can you please tell us what vacuum pump you used. Do you have a link for the vacuum pump ? Might be a new tool needed.

Thank you,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Both JG and blackstone sell them. 

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/?session-id=thsndo55omuvpmihq4sbc3mg&timeout=20&bslauth=&urlbase=https%3a%2f%2fwww.blackstone-labs.net%2fBstone%2f(S(thsndo55omuvpmihq4sbc3mg))%2f

They even have a little video on taking a sample. The only thing I do different is I cut the tube leaving about 15-20" of excess for ease of handling (I don't need 10 feet of hose flopping around) I also use tape to mark the length of the dipstick. 

Just a heads up.One of them sends some hose in the kit, the only problem it isn't long enough to reach down the dipstick tube for my transmision. Not a problem as you can buy the tubing at any hardware store. Same tubing as used for the icemaker of refrigerators. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

32 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Both JG and blackstone sell them. 

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/?session-id=thsndo55omuvpmihq4sbc3mg&timeout=20&bslauth=&urlbase=https%3a%2f%2fwww.blackstone-labs.net%2fBstone%2f(S(thsndo55omuvpmihq4sbc3mg))%2f

They even have a little video on taking a sample. The only thing I do different is I cut the tube leaving about 15-20" of excess for ease of handling (I don't need 10 feet of hose flopping around) I also use tape to mark the length of the dipstick. 

Just a heads up.One of them sends some hose in the kit, the only problem it isn't long enough to reach down the dipstick tube for my transmision. Not a problem as you can buy the tubing at any hardware store. Same tubing as used for the icemaker of refrigerators. 

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thank you for the link. That is a slick looking tool. I watched the video from Blackstone Labs.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I'll second Blackstone.  When we bought our truck, sent an oil sample and their analysis included the following statement in addition to the counts and amounts:

"It may take a couple of reports to see how yours is going to stack up in comparison; aluminum and potassium (from the EGR), copper (from brass/bronze) and silicon (from sealers) are all signs of wear-in, so we're thinking work was done recently."

Sure enough, the previous owner had just changed the EGR.  They nailed it!

I've also called them with questions and they connected me with the tech that pulled the analysis.  I'm used to talking with techs and there's no doubt in my mind they know what their talking about.  We won't be going anywhere else.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Archived