Aqua Hot using up fluid

Twotoes

I have a 2015 Class A with an Aqua Hot 450D. I have filled the resovior twice now in a week and again it is empty. I do not see any fluid leaking or on the ground. Don’t see any smoke comming out of the exhaust. Where is the fluid going?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

13 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I have a 2015 Class A with an Aqua Hot 450D. I have filled the resovior twice now in a week and again it is empty. I do not see any fluid leaking or on the ground. Don’t see any smoke comming out of the exhaust. Where is the fluid going?

Hopefully not into your cabinets or under your floor. I'd be looking at more than the ground under the rig.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One place to look at is the hose & clamps going to the overflow tank.  If there is any cracking of the hose the overflow tank will slowly go down in level.  Easy fix.  Also look at the filler neck on the main heater tank, is there any seepage there?  If so it may be possible to repair this, not like a radiator neck repair but with a rubber sleeve and clamps.  PM me for the name of a good service guy who is familiar with this procedure.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

I will suggest to put something like cardboard under the exhaust area under the coach. Put.it on the ground and make sure it cannot move up against the exhaust pipe. Then fill the system and operate the unit. If anything is leaking from the unit itself it should come out of the drain pan around the exhaust pipe or the intake air screen area. It maybe leaking from the rear of the unit where the hot water exits the unit. I had one last summer that was doing that.

just a thought ,.  Vern

Also look at the full system of fluid. Other sources of fluid lost are at the registers inside of the coach. If you have a engine loop, another source. And, a chafed hose anywhere along the run. And yep, a bad radiator cap can lose fluid without any signs of moisture... 

My leak, just repaired, was on one of the tank penetrations threaded sleeves. It was not obvious to see while inspecting them, as it was hidden behind the tanks insulation. And the lowest point on our (A HydroHot 500 series, which is basically the AquaHot 450D.), was where the exhaust penetrated the basement floor. Ours at first never leaked out and to the ground. The hot exhaust would evaporate any leaking. And ours only leaked while under the higher BTU heat, thus tank pressure build up, while running on Diesel. We limped alone using electric element, and short bursts fo Diesel heating, for about 7 weeks. Before we stopped for our annual yearly coach maintenance in the Junction City area:)!. I noticed the problem, based upon the normal usage of our Diesel, while taking showers. I was having to top off the expansion tank every 5-8 days. Where as usually it would be about every three weeks while traveling. So knew something was going somewhere!!! Suspect your era AH 450, has brass threaded sleeves, vs the nylon/plastic threaded sleeves in our era Hydro Hot, so good chance your not having a problem with the sleeved threaded fittings going into the tank (Temp Sensor, Level Indicator, etc.). 

Best of luck to you. And please close the loop back on what you determine, as it could help others in the future.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay in getting back on the fix. Turned out that the hose from the outside holding tank into the inside of the AguaHot had  a crack where it attached inside. The fluid was dropping onto the burner and burning off so no evidence on the ground. Replaced new hose, performed annual maintenance, cleaned the burner and all working fine now. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Twotoes said:

Sorry about the delay in getting back on the fix. Turned out that the hose from the outside holding tank into the inside of the AguaHot had  a crack where it attached inside. The fluid was dropping onto the burner and burning off so no evidence on the ground. Replaced new hose, performed annual maintenance, cleaned the burner and all working fine now. 

how did you get to the inside to fix leak ?