Windows XP Professional Install Key

DJW

Playing with an old Windows XP machine.  I have a Dell XP Pro install cd but both my copies of XP are the Home addition and my install keys will not work for the Pro Version.  Anyone have an old XP Pro machine  with the key on the back that they would like to share?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

17 minutes ago, DJW said:

Playing with an old Windows XP machine.  I have a Dell XP Pro install cd but both my copies of XP are the Home addition and my install keys will not work for the Pro Version.  Anyone have an old XP Pro machine  with the key on the back that they would like to share?

Dennis

JD3T2-QH36R-X7W2W-7R3XT-DVRPQ

Key Generator

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Sorry about that.  That key I posted worked great on my last XP machine, but that's been a while ago.  Seems like I remember having to get a new key with SP2 and SP3.  Which service pack are you using?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

There are many types of keys (retail, oem slp, oem non-slp, COA, and volume).  Computers that came with XP installed had a manufacturer ID string embedded in the bios.  I would expect that your Dell CD would be looking for the Dell bios marker and would only work if you are using a Dell PC.  If your computer has a bios marker, it would activate off line.  Since XP reached end of life years ago, I am not sure if Microsoft activation servers are still functional.  I have a utility that will scan your computer and advise if it has the bios sting.  Let me know if you are interested.

Safe Travels... 

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I just looked at the list.  There are at least 2 different bios markers used by Dell.

;
;    Dell OEMBIOS Files CRC B6F0EEFD & 87870F5A
;    SLP = Dell System, Dell Computer, Dell Inc, Dell Quanta

Both used the same keys (but different install files):

XP Home Edition OEM SLP  RCBF6-6KDMK-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT

XP PRO EDITION OEM SLP  XJM6Q-BQ8HW-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT

Safe Travels...

k4rs

I found a install Key for Windows XP Pro on a Dell laptop and installed it but in the setup I ran in the nvrd32.sys missing file message which I guess was common in the day.  I have not been able to come up with a work around or figure out a way to get the file loaded to finish the install?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Roger

I used the Key you provided and yes it started the installation but it got to the same point when it rebooted the laptop.  nvrd32.sys file missing and would not finish the setup.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I think the problem is the CD you are installing from.  Chances of it working are poor If it is not an exact match for your computer..  The nvrd32.sys error is a common problem with Dell computers related to missing NVIDIA nForce raid driver.

Back in the day when I did lots of Windows XP installs, I used a generic retail CD with the utility I mentioned earlier to detect and install the correct OEM files along with the necessary drivers.  If you could obtain an unmodified retail CD I think we would have much better luck.  I probably have a retail key around somewhere but as I said, I am not sure if Microsoft activation servers are still online. 

Safe Travels...

Roger

What came on the Dell Inspiron Mini 10 was Windows XP Home SP3, what I was using and trying to upgrade  from was a Dell issued reinstall Windows XP Professional SP3 cd.  I assume the nvrd32.sys file is somewhere on the computer from the Home addition install from Dell but the XP Pro addition cannot find it.  There are no drivers on the Dell reinstall Windows XP Pro cd.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Archived