Water Softener

Daveh

Ray, that really isn't a RO membrane system.   It really is more like a water softener using an acidic medium rather than Na+ ion exchange.   Which for a dishwasher makes sense since  all that is necessary is to keep Ca+2/Mg+2 ions from settling out in the dishwasher and the acidic water would be balanced by the basic detergent.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

in a few weeks  all local store stopped selling Potassium Cl. That forced us to return to salt.DW's heart Dr increased her meds.

Bummer.  As long as Ace, HD and Lowe's keep selling it, I'm good. Perhaps I'll stock up and buy 20 bags.  

Edited by hemsteadc

11 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Ray, that really isn't a RO membrane system.   It really is more like a water softener using an acidic medium rather than Na+ ion exchange.   Which for a dishwasher makes sense since  all that is necessary is to keep Ca+2/Mg+2 ions from settling out in the dishwasher and the acidic water would be balanced by the basic detergent.

Thank you! The description said it was for use with an RO system for dishwashers. Scratch that idea.

Would this  "filter" be better? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHTTBWY/?coliid=I2MN2K8SA6EMPZ&colid=IIT191TPI0O4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Bummer.  As long as Ace, HD and Lowe's keep selling it, I'm good. Perhaps I'll stock up and buy 20 bags.  

If cost is the same near you, it's gonna take a hunk out of your wallet. When I began using Potassium Chloride  it was $8 per 40# bag, then began increasing in price to the point buying bottled water for consumption was cheaper than the difference between salt and potassium Chloride.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Thank you! The description said it was for use with an RO system for dishwashers. Scratch that idea.

Would this  "filter" be better? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHTTBWY/?coliid=I2MN2K8SA6EMPZ&colid=IIT191TPI0O4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Doesn't say what the charging cation is, but since it isn't labeled acidic, it is probably benign for most people.   No way of knowing if it is Na+ charged or not.  Certainly might be worth a try if you don't want the expense a real RO system.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, jbh said:

How much sodium would you expect to find per liter of softened water?

page 5 of https://www.frakco.com/TravelSoftHD.html

• 2 months later...

Before recharging the water softener, I remove much of the water in the tank with compressed air.  I use the standard hose to schrader valve adapter (used to blow out water lines for winterization) and my bicycle pump to blow out the tank.  With less water in the tank, I can easily add the dry granular salt.  I also use the same compressed air method to blow the water out of the tank before stowing and transport.  Less weight to lift!  Quick disconnects on the water lines and schrader adapter reduce the time needed and potential for cross-threading.