Daveh

Water Softener

Hi Just did some work on the toilet ball valve and I found a lot of calcium build up. Recommendations for water softener?   

We used a Travelsoft for 13 years. Worked great. Sold it when we came off the road. I couldn't make the "on the go" to work more than a couple of days without a regen. They gave me my money back though. 

Frakco Travelsoft  

42 minutes ago, rockintom said:

We used a Travelsoft for 13 years. Worked great. Sold it when we came off the road. I couldn't make the "on the go" to work more than a couple of days without a regen. They gave me my money back though. 

Frakco Travelsoft  

Holly crap!!  How hard was that water?

17 hours ago, Daveh said:

Hi Just did some work on the toilet ball valve and I found a lot of calcium build up. Recommendations for water softener?   

Our toilet valve seal is original in our 2000 Monaco . Years ago I thought I had to replace the seal because it wasn't holding water . 

Finding a crust of mineral buildup on the seal , I tried a healthy amount of Lime-a-Way ( a calcium , lime and rust remover ) in the bowl . 

Left it soak for a half hour , at least . Guess what , no more water leakage . The seal was crust free and supple . 

I give it a like treatment when I see it starting to loose water . 

I had the FloPuir Mark 8000 SEE HERE
Cost is $182 and includes shipping if bought from the site above. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.

Both are 8000 grain units which means they will last longer than those with smaller numbers without requiring regeneration. Some folks use  "Water Sticks" but the biggest one of those I have seen is only 1500 grains. The 10,000 grain units will last even longer before needing regeneration. I didn't have room for the bigger 10,000 grain model so I got the 8000 grain one.

In AZ where we spent most of the winters the water hardness is about 50 grains per gallon. That means that an 8000 grain unit will soften about 160 gallons before needing to be regenerated. Since we use about 13 gallons of water per day we have to regenerate every 12 days or so.

In our home in CO we have a water hardness of  20 GPG, there the softener will last about a month.

Clay, one time we stayed for 6 weeks in the Ft. Collins, CO area.......I couldn't believe the water out of the tap was about 10 grain. We stayed there for 6 weeks and only did regen 1 time, unbelievable!!!!  Don't find that often. I think Yuma has the hardest water in the US. about 70 grain IIRC. Our Travelsoft used solar salt (highly refined rocksalt).