JUST GOT MY KEYS!!

MYBLUEYES

I'm a first time buyer and I just got my Fifth wheel keys!!  I'm so Excited! This was something my husband and I thought about for awhile. We weren't sure if we should but we did it.

We are putting our house up for sale Feb. or March.  We are getting rid of all the stuff we don't need this way we live in the fifth wheel fulltime for as long as we can.

I work fulltime., my husband is a 49 year old disabled veteran , our son is grown and on his own and we want to travel in the near future.  We were wasting money , and time to maintain 6 acres and a pool for no one to use.  I'm looking for land to rent or spot at  RV trailer park . Our goal is to save money for our future travel  around the US.

I hope this is the right thing we are doing, I have some doubts but I see so many others do it and I pray we can too. 

I have been reading a lot of topics in here but if there is any advice you can give please do ..thank you in advanced

Enjoy your new adventure. Putting your RV on a piece of land may encounter some zoning conflicts so double check before you make any commitments, you would also need water, sewer and electric.

Before you go full time you will need to consider which state will be your domicile and a mail service to handle your mail. You can start the mail service now but you will need an address for registration and DL.

Let us know what state you are in. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on the forum willing to help you.

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I think that you will find us a friendly bunch who do all that we can to assist and support. I'm not sure what advice we can give based on the small amount of information that we have but will offer some suggestions. The first thing is to give us just a little more information to respond to. I note from your profile that you are located in Florida so I am sure that there are many RV parks nearby that you can make your home in. My first suggestion is that being new to the RV life you would probably be wise to start your new adventure living in an RV park where you will find that most RV folks are friendly and willing to help if needed. Next is a question, what sort of tow vehicle do you have and what is the size and weight of the new fifth wheel? You will need to match the new fifth wheel with an appropriate truck in order to be able to tow it comfortably and safely. Do you plan to stay on your job for now? Will you be traveling for vacations and weekends, or do you intend to go on the road full-time as soon as possible? Have you found insurance for the RV that is rated for full-time living and not just the standard RV policy? 

We are here to help so do not hesitate to ask questions and seek advice as often as you feel the need. Thank you for choosing the Escapees as part of your support system.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hello and welcome!  We are not newbies to rv-ing but going full time is a new goal for us.  I am working full time but retirement is coming up in a year or 2.  Slowly we are getting rid of our accumulation of stuff, we are about halfway "done" if there is such a thing as done.

So I am posting to let you know there are others here at a similar stage in life.  Thanks to previous posters for the advice above.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Hey guys good luck!

You can get around the requirement for having a permanent house by looking in the South outside the city limits for a small 1/4 acre or so with an occupied single or double wide Mobile home on it connected to utilities. Then your RV is an RV you are parking on your property. The fact that you are living mostly in the RV and using the trailer as a rental or as a storage building while you live in the RV.

That is what we did when we came off the road to take care of aging parents in 2003. Then we replaced the single wide with a new home three years ago. and they both went within a year of each other. We are getting out of the South and heading back to Colorado in the next month or two.

marijuana hampster rollin weed.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I think that you will find us a friendly bunch who do all that we can to assist and support. I'm not sure what advice we can give based on the small amount of information that we have but will offer some suggestions. The first thing is to give us just a little more information to respond to. I note from your profile that you are located in Florida so I am sure that there are many RV parks nearby that you can make your home in. My first suggestion is that being new to the RV life you would probably be wise to start your new adventure living in an RV park where you will find that most RV folks are friendly and willing to help if needed. Next is a question, what sort of tow vehicle do you have and what is the size and weight of the new fifth wheel? You will need to match the new fifth wheel with an appropriate truck in order to be able to tow it comfortably and safely. Do you plan to stay on your job for now? Will you be traveling for vacations and weekends, or do you intend to go on the road full-time as soon as possible? Have you found insurance for the RV that is rated for full-time living and not just the standard RV policy? 

We are here to help so do not hesitate to ask questions and seek advice as often as you feel the need. Thank you for choosing the Escapees as part of your support system.

Hello Kirk,

we are still shopping around for a truck to pull our fifth wheel its a 2019 north point - 40 foot.

I plan on working another year before we travel for a few months. so I will be staying local near my job.

I do have a question I'm hoping you or anyone can help with. Our Garage has proper ELECTRIC hookup for our fifth wheel till we sell the house. Can we park it on grass till we move?

Welcome to the forum!

How soon do you plan on retiring?  Where do you live now?  I don't know your RV, what is the model number, weights, etc?  Makes a world of difference on what truck you need to get to stay safe towing.  My RV is shorter, I went over kill and have a won ton dually but love the stability.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, NDBirdman said:

Welcome to the forum!

How soon do you plan on retiring?  Where do you live now?  I don't know your RV, what is the model number, weights, etc?  Makes a world of difference on what truck you need to get to stay safe towing.  My RV is shorter, I went over kill and have a won ton dually but love the stability.

Thank you!

My husband is retired. I won't be for many years lol, however I do plan on taking off a few months to travel maybe even up to a year if it suits us.  he is looking for a dually now he wants to be sure the has a large strong truck for stability as well.  .

the model is  381FLWS  

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 13905
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)   2735
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 16750
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2845
Exterior Travel Length (Pin box to bumper) 41' 9"
Total Exterior Length 43"
Exterior Width 96"

we are soooo new to this lol

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, Sculptor said:

Hello and welcome!  We are not newbies to rv-ing but going full time is a new goal for us.  I am working full time but retirement is coming up in a year or 2.  Slowly we are getting rid of our accumulation of stuff, we are about halfway "done" if there is such a thing as done.

So I am posting to let you know there are others here at a similar stage in life.  Thanks to previous posters for the advice above.  

Hi sculptor,

hope all is well. at least you know what your are doing or what to expect , I'm going in BLIND ...hahaha we have so much to learn. we talked about this for awhile but didn't think we would actually do it . Things in life changed lately , and we decided to sell our house and it was a perfect time to take advantage of TRYING to live minimal so that's why we bought the RV. If we cant live in it fulltime at least well have it for travel and then we can take our time to house shop instead of rushing like the last 2 houses.  Hubby says the RV is perfect because now I cant buy anything lol

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, RV_ said:

Hey guys good luck!

You can get around the requirement for having a permanent house by looking in the South outside the city limits for a small 1/4 acre or so with an occupied single or double wide Mobile home on it connected to utilities. Then your RV is an RV you are parking on your property. The fact that you are living mostly in the RV and using the trailer as a rental or as a storage building while you live in the RV.

That is what we did when we came off the road to take care of aging parents in 2003. Then we replaced the single wide with a new home three years ago. and they both went within a year of each other. We are getting out of the South and heading back to Colorado in the next month or two.

marijuana hampster rollin weed.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for the info!

yes my husband mentioned that as well getting land and putting up a building and if we decide RVin is NOT for us to live in then we can build a tiny home  on the property and still have RV to travel :)

I hear you ..Colorado that's definitely one of our stops ;)

we just finished with our aging parents and are hitting the road ...and I Cant WAIT!!

On 1/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, MYBLUEYES said:

Hello Kirk,

we are still shopping around for a truck to pull our fifth wheel its a 2019 north point - 40 foot.

I plan on working another year before we travel for a few months. so I will be staying local near my job.

I do have a question I'm hoping you or anyone can help with. Our Garage has proper ELECTRIC hookup for our fifth wheel till we sell the house. Can we park it on grass till we move?

What tow vehicle to buy will be a matter of opinion.  Because it is 43 feel long I would go with a 3500 DRW diesel.  A SRW will probably handle the weight.  But a DRW will be much more stable and would be able to handle much more.  Better to have to much truck.  Parking on the grass will be fine.  I would put wood blocks larger then you landing gear to make sure that it will not sink into the ground.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

11 minutes ago, rynosback said:

We sold everything and have been living full time for 3 1/2 years now.  I would not change a thing.  Enjoy life to the fullest while you are able.

Congratulations and safe travels.

I hear a lot of people say that.. I'm definitely going to take advantage. ..Life is TOO short!

Thank You ;)

4 minutes ago, rynosback said:

What tow vehicle to buy will be a matter of opinion.  Because it is 43 feel long I would go with a 3500 DRW diesel.  A SRW will probably handle the weight.  But a DRW will be much more stable and would be able to handle much more.  Better to have to much truck.  Parking on the grass will be fine.  I would put wood blocks larger then you landing gear to make sure that it will not sink into the ground.

I will let my husband know about the truck thanks.

we are going to sell the house and I really don't want to do more work or waste more money, he wanted to pour concrete or get shell- I told him that's a waste of money glad to hear I can use wood planks.

I know the drive has a little dip so we will just have to make it even there I guess for the landing to come down properly or he was going to have an electrician come out and then we can park it right by the house but I think that would be too pricey just for a few months till the house sells

is there certain wood blocks or can we just get 2-21/2 inch wood planks and have them cut to size?

thanks

As long as they are just larger then the landing gear.  My front landing gears wood blocks are about 3 times the size of the landing gear.  I do this as it spreads the weight better.  Does your grass area get swampy?  Also the less stroke you have out the more stable the 5ver will be.  Has a dip?  If you are not going to be living in it, why not just get powered by a 20amp 110 outlet?  Most outside plugs are 20 amp.  As it will keep the batteries float charged and give you all of the lighting you will need.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=381636&d=1547844174

as you can see in the pic, I have 2x10s cut to size and use two large support beam pieces on the front jacks.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived