Need Windows XP Expert

DJW

Ok not going into why but I need an XP platform to run a certain program for me.  My sister gave me her old dell inspiron mini 10 with Windows XP Home SP3 on it and it run fine.  Yes I know Microsoft does not support XP any longer  I have 2 Questions:

Why  am I able to get on some web pages and not others?  I can log onto e-bay, juno, rvnetwork, msn home page, bing etc however I cannot log onto Microsoft, Club Lexus web pages.  I get a cannot connect message when I try.  When I diagnose the connection problem the message says.  Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.  Check the firewall settings for the HTTP (port 80) HTTPS (port 443) and FTP (port 21).  I have done that and added all three of those ports as well as checked the HTTP and HTTPS and FTP boxes in the advanced settings.  So why will internet Explorer allow me to get on some web pages but not others.

2nd Question:

The Mini 10 Windows XP came with the Home addition SP3.  I have a copy of a Dell issued installation/reinstallation cd with key with Microsoft Windows Professional SP3.  Now this cd does not have any drivers on it.  So if I go to upgrade the Home addition to the Professional addition is this going to wipe all the drivers that are the Mini 10 now off and then go look for replacements.  Because if so some of those drivers may no longer be available  given the XP is longer supported and I don't want to screw up the mini 10 Inspiron so that it will not work for the 1 program I need it for.

The Internet Explorer Browser is Version 5.1.  I went to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 for XP which is the last version for XP but again it will not allow me to long on to that web page to do the download?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Another question

I looked at my system information and under file versions I noticed that I have 2 files missing:

iecont.dll

iecontic.dll

It shows that they are missing and Not Available.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

Sorry bud but I've slept about ten years since XP. I'd look into running that copy of XP Pro in a  virtual machine so you have faster hardware.

In answer to the Dell reinstall and drivers - yes, it will essentially wipe the drive then do a fresh install requiring re-installation of the drivers. Back in the day I would get free or minimal cost images of the entire factory install software. Dell was a pain with those driver disks. I found the driver disks did not work at all most of the time. I preferred images.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Duke

I did try to download firefox but it would not let me onto the page?  I have also turned off the firewall and tried that but again nothing.  I am sure what the "tuning the program in compatibility mode on your current OS" is?

RV I copied all the drivers to a thumb drive will I be able to reinstall from that?  The mini will be going from XP Home to XP Pro will the drivers be the same for the Pro as they were for the Home addition?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

I meant to say above that you can likely run it on a Windows 10 virtual machine since you have the disk and a legal key. I don't do virtual machines so someone else would have to help you there.

Why not just buy an XP machine in good operating condition from Craigslist? THey aren't worth mor ethan 20 bucks or 50 at most. I tried to take a good running XP machine and load a recent version or Linux Mint on it and it was sooooooooooooo slow that I wished I had made an image so I could return it to its original XP install. IT was snappy with XP3. BUt my gawd, I forgot how heavy they were! I salvaged the RAM and junked it after destroying the drive. I've since trashed the RAM too at the recycler.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

what file folder is the nvrd32.sys file found in using Windows XPPro.  I have the driver file that I downloaded and unzipped but I cannot figure out which folder to drop it into?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Archived