Medical insurance for Canada

blrdck

We are making an RV trip to Newfoundland and Larador this summer. Medicare does not cover us outside the US. All the insurances I have looked at are geared to flying or cruises with coverages I don't need. Does anyone know of a medical trip insurance for RVers?

Do a google search like "insurance for visitors to Canada".

I found a number of reputable companies, like Blue Cross, Manulife,  Sun Life, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) offering travel medical plans for visitors to Canada.

There were also some brokers in the search results - they may provide a more customised plan.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

5 hours ago, SWharton said:

Ours covers us outside the country. It becomes your primary plan.

If you have Medigap coverage in either plan F or plan G the medical needs for international travel are covered. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If you have Medigap coverage in either plan F or plan G the medical needs for international travel are covered. 

Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N provide a $50,000 lifetime allowance for emergency medical care outside the US.  I believe it's handled on a reimbursable basis you would have to pay the providers upfront.  I also believe it's in effect for the first 60 days you are outside the US, if that is of concern to you.

Here's a link to a page on the Medicare website that addresses this issue:  https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037-medicare-coverage-outside-united-stat.pdf

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

8 hours ago, TexasPSDX said:

Join FMCA.  They have a policy you can buy for the time you will be out of US.  

With all due respect this is a relatively useless plan.  Yes, it has big "maximum payment" levels, but it also contains ridiculously low "per day in hospital:" benefits ($150/day).  It also has meaninglessly large benefits like $50k for "return of remains" which is far more than most people will ever need.  It's easy to put high coverage levels if you know they're unlikely to ever be claimed.

Here's the detail if you want to read it: https://www.sevencorners.com/fmca-international-travel-insurance

IMHO if you don't have Medicare coverage there are much better commercial insurance plans you can buy.  They might cost more, but they'll provide much better coverage.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived