Saw a F450 puffing white smoke......

Vegas Teacher

When I was traveling I40 back to Vegas from Kansas over break I saw a lot of Diesel pickup trucks pulling large trailers. I know technically they are supposed to be able to do it, however one in particular stands out in memory..................

After 10 hours to go from Santa Rosa to Albequerque at 2 to 3 miles per hour I 40 west was like the Indy 500 headed back toward Vegas the next day. I was not in my 780, I was in the Tundra. So I am west bound on 40 just outside of Flagstaff and a F450 is pulling a triple axel DRV Mobile suites 5er' it was windy and on the flat the back end of his truck was being dominated and had a lot of sway as the trailer moved right to left. Then we started up in the mountain in elevation. About half way up he started puffing white smoke and slowing down. We were in a pack of about 10 cars so just going around him was too difficult so I had about a 10 mile stretch to just watch and see what was happening. Yes I know that the truck technically had the specs to pull this rig but I just looked overmatched, and it was squatted down quite a bit in the back end. I finally passed him but I know I would never want to be in that situation. Our trucks are expensive but I think they are worth every penny.

Later,

Cory O

P.S. Happy New Year to all of you!

Cory, how old of a truck was his Ford?  How big was the DRV?  Only the newer Ford duallys are rated for the DRV size 5ers

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

13 hours ago, oldbutspry said:

Any idea what the year of that F450 might have been?  Just curious because I have a 2002 F450 with the 7.3.

The 7.3 is one tough motor and very reliable...Ford began installing the 6.0 power stroke around 2003 or 2004 I believe up until 2007 or 2008.  These motors were crappy design and the same motor was used in f250, F-350 and f450.  Several years ago we had taken our TH out to Williams AZ pulling with my 2005 F-350.  Nothing but trouble from this motor.  While heading back to NC my EGR went and we limped home seeing black smoke, no bottom end and the smell of antifreeze in the cab.  Made it home and started leaking water and oil out of the exhaust pipe.  Got it to the shop before it came apart completely and got it "bullit proofed".  No more heavy hauling for this truck.  Still have it and now runs good but in terms of power and reliability. The Volvo with an 11.1 Detroit is now my preference.  I won't even consider buying another Ford truck.  Mine was a big disappointment.  Good for hauling trash to the dump and running to the store.

We bought a 2004 f-350 dually and a 2011 mobile. Suites from a guy in tenn and pulled it back to Illinois. Truck only had 73000 miles on it looked brand new. The edge had been deleted already but we had it bullet proofed that next spring then took it to Bristol tenn over all those mountains  and hills did fine. We also put a tuner in it. Dry is about 16000 lbs. put air bags on the truck. Going to keep it a couple more years till retirement before we get the hdt. We’ll see how it does going to crossville in April 

4 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

We bought a 2004 f-350 dually and a 2011 mobile. Suites from a guy in tenn and pulled it back to Illinois. Truck only had 73000 miles on it looked brand new. The edge had been deleted already but we had it bullet proofed that next spring then took it to Bristol tenn over all those mountains  and hills did fine. We also put a tuner in it. Dry is about 16000 lbs. put air bags on the truck. Going to keep it a couple more years till retirement before we get the hdt. We’ll see how it does going to crossville in April 

Bullet proofing on the 6.0 is the way to go.  I had to have mine  done when it only had 71k on the engine.  But I still won't use it to haul my TH.   My Volvo is over 20 yrs old but still has a lot of good miles ahead.   No sensors, no DEF, no Regen,  no derate, no sensors on the tranny 9 speed plus the truck was specked from the factory with one axle on the rear.  The newer trucks look really nice but they have to many things on them that can go wrong.

Never seen the 7.3's with many issues. Buddy of mine has a 3/4 and 1 ton. Both are over 1/2 Million miles. Auto trans in the 3/4 has been rebuild. The 1 ton still all factory, other then a starter. Along with a few Sensors and stuff like that.

The one puffing white smoke that I know of. Is a 2015 F450, and does it when doing a regen. Same a 75% of the Semi's so when doing a regen. Seen a International yesterday, Puffing white smoke. Did it 6 miles, then cleared up. I was behind him and smiled. As my old 95, no issues with that stuff.

event.png

I had a 2008 6.4 F450.  Traded it off with 29k miles on it. Had no issues but apparently that motor also was known to develop issues. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The 6.4 was just a larger bore 6.0. They had to rename it for marketing purposes, same for the 6.7. Now they just bulletproof it from the factory. 

My 6.0 started blowing white smoke a couple of months back. I started hearing some grinding noises coming from the turbo area. Bearing started letting go in the turbo. I got it shut down before it came apart and dumped lots of bb's into the motor. New turbo and good to go. My 6.0 is bulletproofed too. Miss my 7.3, but that died when the drunk driver hit us head on. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Sorry to be dumb but what is “bulletproofing”?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

27 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Sorry to be dumb but what is “bulletproofing”?

In general it means to address components prone to premature failures by modifying or replacing them with more reliable parts or systems.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We had studs put in the head instead of the bolts that fatigued,head milled, gaskets,new oil cooler,turbo charger gone through, my egr cooler was already removed, they installed a coolant filter,and a tuner probably more but I can’t remember. Truck runs great had it done before we had prob but it was close. When he checked temps with his scanner tool oil was 20 higher than normal, he said oil cooler coolant side plugs up. He put a screen that you can see everything that the computer sees a lot better the the couple of gauges the truck had. 

The white smoke from a regen smells different to me, but if it cleared up, it was probably a regen.

Maybe I'm just sensitive, because I can smell it if someone in the car ahead of me is smoking a cigarette with the window open.

White smoke from oil smells like burnt oil, usually has a blue tinge, you can smell it from 1/2 mile back if a car is burning enough to see.

The only other reason you would get white smoke in a warm engine is if the engine gets way too much air.  I have only seen this on diesels occasionally when someone clutches an engine with a turbo that's spinning fast.  They can also "bark" (spin backwards) if the load is dropped too fast.  You can hear it in truck and tractor pulls.  It might also smoke white then.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

1 hour ago, DesertMiner said:

“experienced” a regen from behind!

Somehow this does not seem pleasant, but to each his own I guess

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

1 hour ago, Exile said:

The white smoke from a regen smells different to me, but if it cleared up, it was probably a regen.

Maybe I'm just sensitive, because I can smell it if someone in the car ahead of me is smoking a cigarette with the window open.

White smoke from oil smells like burnt oil, usually has a blue tinge, you can smell it from 1/2 mile back if a car is burning enough to see.

The only other reason you would get white smoke in a warm engine is if the engine gets way too much air.  I have only seen this on diesels occasionally when someone clutches an engine with a turbo that's spinning fast.  They can also "bark" (spin backwards) if the load is dropped too fast.  You can hear it in truck and tractor pulls.  It might also smoke white then.

A blown head gasket can throw clouds of white steam as well, looks like smoke from behind.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Clouds of white from burning coolant have $ $ signs in them...

Proceeding N of Bishop CA with the wonton one time there’s a bit of a climb on 395. I’m maybe 18-19k lbs. I have the cruise set on 2000rpm part throttle 850 EGT in some gear or other in the 6 speed U shift. 

Here comes a blue oval gasohol V8 pulling a 15” 5 bolt wheel tandem TT in hot pursuit...goes by us 8 mph faster at eleventeen thousand rpm...25 gallons an hour?

there were such a stinking invisible cloud of gasohol exhaust behind him I thought my poor little Hummin Cummins and I were both going to have to go on oxygen 😂

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Engine stuff asside when the wind blew he was pushed side to side big time, his dually could not prevent this from happening. Going back to my original point is the truck looked very over matched in reality verses what the specs say it should be able to do. I passed him, and I was nervous he was going to swing over in to my lane as I was passing him. 

Later,

Cory O

Archived