Road Conditions

adept99

Heads up for those of you heading out to the warm embrace of the Southland.

This trip was over the course of 2 days, Jan 4th / 5th  2019. 

I-55 From Memphis to I-12 is a WONDERFUL highway. I considered driving it twice on the same trip. No major lumps, bumps, or potholes. Very little traffic. Just set the Cruz-O-Matic and ooze on down the road. 

I-12 Is a close second for about 70% of the drive. Mostly flat and smooth. Unfortunately, it's interspersed with really nasty stutter bumps in a number of places. No fun. Broke much stuff loose in the camper. 

I-10 was the killer. I-12 merges with I-10 and things go downhill fast from there. Asphalt is peeling up in strips leaving 2" deep ruts with near vertical sides. The roadbed is collapsing and is merely a series of abrupt bumps followed by a short smooth stretch of smooth, then more holes and lumps. Broke a cabinet door in half, several items stored in the overhead broke loose and were headed for a nasty crash and were only saved by the fact that the 5er was closed up. Quite a few things fell over, fell out, fell down. and generally made a mess.

Be Careful on I-10

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

What section of I-10?  From Baton Rouge west to Lafayette is terrible once you leave the bridge.  After Lafayette, it's been repaved/topped except where the overpasses are, which is every 2-3 miles.  Lake Charles and just west of it is terrible as well until you leave the city limits and then its decent to just before the Texas border.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim, it's pretty much that way from where 12 west ties into 10 west all the way to the Texas line. Yes you can nit-pick, but really, the road just plain sucks. 

And I got to see the Purty Truck shown above. Only thing I didn't see was the "Go Fuel Me" can setting on the fender...

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

3 hours ago, adept99 said:

Jim, it's pretty much that way from where 12 west ties into 10 west all the way to the Texas line. Yes you can nit-pick, but really, the road just plain sucks. 

And I got to see the Purty Truck shown above. Only thing I didn't see was the "Go Fuel Me" can setting on the fender...

Damm Paul, I forgot to put it out for ya all, but I will next time.

I-10 is so ruff that it broke the sewer fitting off my truck tank, glad the black tank was empty and unused as this would be a crappy deal for me.

GCTaaehl.jpg

Ran I-65 from Louisville to just into Alabama today.  Hit a bad stretch just south of Louisville for about 20 miles.  Paul, can you get that fixed?  It's from your house to E-town.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'll have the boys put some gravel down

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

• 3 weeks later...

We ran I-10 and I-12 today from Mobile to about 15 miles west og Lafayette.  There was a very short stretch just west of the Atchafalaya bridge that had a bit of hobby-horse action, but nary a bit of missing pavement.

So far, so good.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Update, DW informed me that items in the medicine cabinet were re-arranged.  There were a couple of bridge approaches that were kinda rough, okay, pretty good hits.  But not deteriorated pavement so far. 

Edit........

Found it!  Short section coming out of Lake Charles was rougher than a stucco bathtub, the the bridge transitions were like speed bumps.  Between we're long stretches of magic carpet to lull you into a false sense of tranquility.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Paul,  since yer headed west in a couple days, slow down two(2) miles before you turn off US 90 on to 211 after San Antonio.  It's really rough going under an overpass there, with more undulations following.

Seems Louisiana doesn't have ALL the bumps.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 3 weeks later...

More rough road......

Traveling east through Little Rock, AR, via I-440 and I-40, bridge transitions are horrible.  

East bound I-40 out of Memphis is pretty coarse as well.

Tomorrow we get to see if Paul's boys got the holes fixed on I-65 at Shepherdsville, KY.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick;

Sorry buddy, had a gov't shutdown & didn't get paid. But you could go ahead and order some DGA  that would get paid for as soon as the shutdowns are over...

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived