Generator size

rdickinson

There are some 12kw Onans available for 4k Can$.  800 lbs, 100 amp output.  Way overkill for sure for my rig.  But the 7.5kw Onans, 60+ amps, 400+ - lbs,  from an Rv Salvage location are generally 5500$ US plus tax plus exchange plus duty at the border.  Freight is relative.

By the time I add all to the 7.5, it gets up around 8200 $ Can.

Also I'm thinking fuel consumption on the 7.5 at 75% could be similar to less than 50% on the 12.  Give or take a bit.  I'd equate it to a Ldt pulling my rig as opposed the HDT.

So, I'm thinking of mounting it passengers side, fwd of the 100 gallon fuel tank and aft of the regen system.

I already have a 7.5 but it only turns out 30 amps max so there is a lot of power sharing going on.

Access would be behind the tank fairing which would need to come off for service because it doesn't tip out and lift off like the fwd one does.

Size wise the 12 is 40" long, 25 or 27 tall and about 24 wide.

I figured I'd throw this out there for thought.

Thanks

If I am understanding you right the 12 would be half the price. Id go that way. Even though its way over kill. You will use a little more fuel but thats the way it goes. I just have a little 4.0 Onan but I mounted a 50 gallon tank just for that. It works as long as I don't use the microwave while the A/C is on. I think its better to have more than need than need more than you have. At some point I am going to need a bigger one.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

You should post model and spec number. Lots of Onans out there that seem cheep but are 240 volt only or 50 HZ. Rearch the model carefully before you buy.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Hi Roger,
If you have an older 7.5 Onan Diesel I believe it has 2-pole 30 amp breakers so 62.5 amps (120V) total. I have a 7.5 Onan in my fifth wheel (7.5HDKAJ11451J) and it has 2-pole 30 amp breakers and have never had a problem running everything in the RV. The rpm is governed by load so is not constant rpm.

gVrZc9SLC17Ken4eL6X3l3o9DuAFZe3HCOBsqm-v

I put a 12.5 K on my truck to power my DRV as I needed to 220 volts  for my dryer. I am in Houston today running all three air-conditioners television marker wave induction cooktop and I’ve yet to hear it over the television very quiet and smooth it runs at 1800 RPM at all times I’m very happy with this generator can’t wait to get the solar set up so it doesn’t have to run as much. 

GCTaaehl.jpg

11 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

I put a 12.5 K on my truck to power my DRV as I needed to 220 volts  for my dryer. I am in Houston today running all three air-conditioners television marker wave induction cooktop and I’ve yet to hear it over the television very quiet and smooth it runs at 1800 RPM at all times I’m very happy with this generator can’t wait to get the solar set up so it doesn’t have to run as much. 

Roger,

Can’t wait to see your truck up close.  Beautiful.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well, I like my Volvo a lot better than an ugly Freight but I've spent the last 2 days drooling all over Roger's truck. It sure is sweet.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

21 hours ago, rdickinson said:

So, I'm thinking of mounting it passengers side, fwd of the 100 gallon fuel tank and aft of the regen system.

Will it really fit there? I acquired a 7.5 Onan CMQD a while back. I thought the commercial and the regular versions were the same size. Maybe I need to double check the space behind that section of fairing. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

51 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

But that Freightliner requires a lot less lipstick than a Volvo 😎

All it takes is a thicker coupon book... 💸

40 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Will it really fit there? I acquired a 7.5 Onan CMQD a while back. I thought the commercial and the regular versions were the same size. Maybe I need to double check the space behind that section of fairing. 

He did the back of the truck right... but it still has that Freight hauler badge on the hood....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Well, I like my Volvo a lot better than an ugly Freight but I've spent the last 2 days drooling all over Roger's truck. It sure is sweet.

I resent that. Lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived