Honda EU2000i Generator

richardbetsey

I have a Honda EU2000i generator. When I try to use it with our New Horizons 5th wheel, it will not supply AC power to the trailer when I attach it to the Park AC power input on the trailer with the Camco 50 Amp to 15 Amp pigtail adapter. Along with this problem if I try to attach power to the trailer using thew adapter to a 20Amp ac GFI  outlet It poips the GFI. If I pluge it into an AC outlet without a GFI everything works fine. Any ideas on how to get the Honda or a GFI outlet to work.

Richard Clauser

45 minutes ago, richardbetsey said:

I tried that and all it did was trip the GFI on the Honda generator and on a 20 AMP AC outlet with a GFI immediately trip it.

It sounds like the Neutral and Ground wires are tied to the same point in the trailer panel. This is what's causing the GFCI to trip. Make sure the Neutral is connected to an insulated terminal, with only other neutrals connected to it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Mine does the same.  I checked for correct voltage/neutral, all good.  I just turn off the EMI, works good for us.  Just don't forget to turn it back on before connecting to shore power.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, HERO Maker said:

ARMY!  You're back?  I did notice the truck is gone!

Lol yes once in awhile as u can see by the timing of this reply but thanks for noticing!

2016 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

2015 Alpine 3620fl

2004 Volvo 670, SOLD

1977 GMC shortbox stepside ( My "antique" truck)

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

http://s301.photobucket.com/home/armys2/indexPics

For my Honda 3000i I just built a bonding plug.  Took less than 5 minutes and cost less than $5.  Like Brad said if your EMS has a bypass switch that will work too.  I did the bonding plug route as I knew the one time I forget to turn the bypass off after using the generator, we would actually hookup to a bad power source and we get fried due to the EMS being in bypass.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

So, did anyone read the original post? He's trying to figure out why a GFCI is tripping, not how to bypass an EMS, or trick it with a bonding plug.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The GFCI on the trailer is tripping because he is trying to back feed the panel thru that outlet. That is not what a GFCI outlet should allow and not where you supply power to your trailer.

On popping the GFCI on the genset, something is wired wrong and assuming that Honda is more than likely correct and our finely assembled trailers are not, I would look at the wiring on the 50 amp plug on the trailer and inside the the EMS and breaker box to see if someone has crossed up the neutral and ground wires somewhere.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Finding ground faults can be difficult but if it always pops a ground fault when the RV is plugged into one there is a problem.  My 50 amp power source at my house is a ground fault protected circuit and occasionally when friends come by we find a problem.   The fault is usually caused by the ground crossed with the neutral.  Often times we find the electric water heater element has a fault but other things can cause it.  Some just ignore the problem since it works without ground fault but I don't  do that.  My method of locating the problem is to disconnect all of the neutral wires in the RV breaker box and put them back one at a time.  The bad circuit should trip the ground fault when it is connected.  A load is required to make the ground fault trip so start with a breaker with something on and all of the rest off. This is somewhat technical and if you are not comfortable working on electric circuits you may want to hire it out.  Another method is using a volt/ohm meter.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Wait, are you saying that you are using a male-to-male 15a household plug to put power INTO one of your outlets from the generator outlets?  You should never use a male to male adapter!

You should figure out why it won't supply power through the shore power connector.  That should work.  Test your adapters.

Archived