Atlanta?

rickeieio

In a few days, we'll be heading south, hopefully to the Tampa RV show.  The shortest way from here to there, is through Atlanta,GA.  However, it may not be much further to take I-65 and then head south-east.  We're starting fro  the west side of Cincinnati, so what say you-all?  Go through Atlanta?  Go around?  Avoid it entirely?

I've driven through many times, and usually try to do it after 9:00p or on a Sunday morning.  This trip, those are not options.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Try to avoid during the weekdays.  Can be a nightmare.  Time lost going around better than time lost in traffic jams and stupid drivers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'm thinking if we stay in Adairsville, GA the first night out, we can hit Atlanta about 10:00a.  Perhaps it would be less stressful to use 285 to the west.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I see no good choice there. 

One time we were headed  to Taladega Al for a nascar race, with the DW trying to help with directions. I said do you see that road up there. She said yes, well that is where we are supposed to be.

Quiet time in truck followed. Till we were on that road gain.

It has been at least 10 years since we have traveled that area. So timing may help with traffic. Maybe The DW can watch road traffic on dot web site for traffic alerts and help with needed decisions.

The previous suggestions should be of great help.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

On 1/5/2019 at 9:03 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Time lost going around better than time lost in traffic jams and stupid drivers.

We travel from Michigan and since it is a 2 day trip for us, the extra time doesn't come into play.  We pick-up I-65 south of Indy and take it to 231 or 82 south of Montgomery AL then pickup I-10 west of Tallahassee.  Hwy 231 is 4 lane with some good campgrounds on It.  My sister lives in Atlanta and says middle of the night is the only good time.  She also said going straight thru is the way to go, get in the second lane from the right and don't get out of it.

Safe travels Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

2 hours ago, Radar274 said:

We travel from Michigan and since it is a 2 day trip for us, the extra time doesn't come into play.  We pick-up I-65 south of Indy and take it to 231 or 82 south of Montgomery AL then pickup I-10 west of Tallahassee.  Hwy 231 is 4 lane with some good campgrounds on It.  My sister lives in Atlanta and says middle of the night is the only good time.  She also said going straight thru is the way to go, get in the second lane from the right and don't get out of it.

Safe travels Bob

I travel with the HDT through Atlanta 4-6 times a year, I agree with going dead through the middle.

Just plan for some slow travel, relax and pay attention. Two pairs of eyes make it easier, most of the signage is painted on the road surface.  Follow the I 75 South signs:)

The wife and I are planning on driving the 35 grueling miles from our house to the Tampa RV Super Show on Thursday, January 17th, we have planned to spend the day and would love to join some fellow HDT'ers for coffee or lunch/supper if possible.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Looks like going straight through will be our plan.  We're only a few miles west of I-75 at cincy, so i_65 would be a good bit further.

We're planning on going to the rv show at least two days, but don't know which days yet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 1/7/2019 at 7:06 AM, Radar274 said:

Safe travels Bob

We go from Ohio to Florida and it is always a coin flip whether to take 75 and Atlanta and the 50 miles of traffic and white knuckles, or 65 and a longer buy nice calm drive.  65 is a breeze, you skip Jellico mountain, skip Knoxville (rush hour there is no picnic either). skip Atlanta, 231 is nice drive through the Alabama countryside and Nashville is never a problem.  I never take the Atlanta route unless I will hit that stretch at night.  Nashville is a breeze on 65, trick is if you start in the second lane from right where the road starts to get wide and stay there  and never change lanes it will run you right onto all the correct ramps through town to stay on 65 coming out the other side.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:06 AM, Radar274 said:

Safe travels Bob

Thats my Route to Fl from West Tn. Even though the GPS will show 50 minutes shorter to go through Atlanta. But I can run to Montgomery Al, and get where I'm going. Less stress, less stress, less Stress. Sorry I hate Atlanta. Even when I was running over the road. I still did not go through that town. Would take back roads. And 99% of the time, beat the other trucks going to the same place.

event.png

Archived