New Verizon Unlimited Data Jetpack and HULU

Is anyone using HULU with the new Verizon Unlimited Data plan for Tablets and Jetpacks?

I have been using HULU on my iMac connected by Verizon jetpack wifi for about a week. Today I tried to set up my TV using an Amazon Fire Stick and ran into a problem. As I understand it, Home has to be set in your profile and it can't be set over a jetpack. I think there is a grace period before you are required to setup Home. I know I didn't have to set it until I setup my TV today.

I was planning on dumping my cable company and just using the jetpack. I picked Hulu over other options because it offered the most channels with lots of sports channels.

Again, take what I am posting as what I believe is correct, and I could be wrong. I believe that Hulu requires that Home not be on a jetpack. Once Home is set, you can use phones and laptops over a jetpack, but once a month the device needs to connect to the Home network. I imagine this is to prevent people from sharing their Hulu account with people outside their Home.

I'm hoping to go full-time soon, so I was counting on this to work for computer access plus TV on the road. It will still work for computer access, but not for Hulu.

If anyone has gotten Hulu to work with the new Verizon unlimited data plan over a jetpack, please let me know how you did it.

With all due respect, I think you have misunderstood the Home Network setup instructions on Hulu.  I've attached a screen shot of those instructions for your reference.  Essentially all you have to do is connect your laptop to the same network as your smart TV or Firestick or Roku.  Then go to Hulu.com on your laptop and log into your account and make Set Home change as indicated.  Alternatively connect your phone to the same wifi network (the wifi coming from your Jetpack) and use the Hulu app on the phone to make the same change.

You are correct that Hulu wants you to be able to use the its services ONLY from a single home network or from your mobile devices.  They haven't really addressed a "movable home network" as might be found in an RV and there's no reason to get them to worry about that issue!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel, a lot of companies are doing this.  I can stream very few options with Xfinity/Comcast through there  Xfinity stream app.  It states that you need to be connected to your home network.  As in the stick and bricks WiFi network.  Which is STUPID as if I was home, why would I want to watch something on my phone or iPad if  I could watch it on a 55 inch tv.  They also closed the option of air playing.  So you are forced to watch a few options on a small screen.  One thing I have learned is that I do not update any of my apps.  I used to be able to stream CNBC at night for that days shows.  Now you have to wait a day or two.  Who wants to watch old news?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Joel, read the very last line on your screenshot. Doesn't that say exactly what the OP was asking? It says a mobile hotspot can NOT be used as the home network.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

13 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, I think you have misunderstood the Home Network setup instructions on Hulu.  I've attached a screen shot of those instructions for your reference.  Essentially all you have to do is connect your laptop to the same network as your smart TV or Firestick or Roku.  Then go to Hulu.com on your laptop and log into your account and make Set Home change as indicated.  Alternatively connect your phone to the same wifi network (the wifi coming from your Jetpack) and use the Hulu app on the phone to make the same change.

You are correct that Hulu wants you to be able to use the its services ONLY from a single home network or from your mobile devices.  They haven't really addressed a "movable home network" as might be found in an RV and there's no reason to get them to worry about that issue!

hulu.JPG

I had my firestick and desktop both connected to internet over jetpack. That's when I found out I couldn't set Home. It just gave me an error message, so I looked up jetpack on the HULU site and found  I couldn't set home over a jetpack.

I still have Comcast, so I switched both TV and desktop to Comcast and was able to set Home. That confirmed what I found on HULU site. It also confirms what is in your screen shot - ...a mobile hotspot does not qualify as a non-mobile internet connection and therefor cannot be used as a Home network.

How do these companies think their customers can cut the cord and still have a non-mobile connection?

Going to cancel Hulu and check out competitors.

Thanks for pointing this out; I admit I had overlooked that key sentence.  It pretty much eliminates Hulu with Live TV from my future considerations.  What they are doing is complying with FCC rules regarding reception of out-of-area TV stations, the same rules that prevent satellite TV customers from watching local stations for other than their own cities and, even then, only when they are physically in the immediate area.

It does appear that , despite this restriction, you can use the Hulu app on a mobile device to watch video regardless of where the device might be.  That does open the door to the possibility of using Chromecast or Miracast to cast the video from the phone to the TV.  Have you tried this?  I can visualize how they might prevent Chromecast from working but Miracast ought to work, assuming you phone supports it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 minutes ago, docj said:

Thanks for pointing this out; I admit I had overlooked that key sentence.  It pretty much eliminates Hulu with Live TV from my future considerations.  What they are doing is complying with FCC rules regarding reception of out-of-area TV stations, the same rules that prevent satellite TV customers from watching local stations for other than their own cities and, even then, only when they are physically in the immediate area.

It does appear that , despite this restriction, you can use the Hulu app on a mobile device to watch video regardless of where the device might be.  That does open the door to the possibility of using Chromecast or Miracast to cast the video from the phone to the TV.  Have you tried this?  I can visualize how they might prevent Chromecast from working but Miracast ought to work, assuming you phone supports it.

Joe, the problem is that once a month a mobile device has to connect back to the Home network.   That way if you are out of town for a few days, your laptop or phone will work with Hulu; but if you are out of town for 3 months, after the 1st month you would no longer be able to connect to Hulu with your mobile devices.

Hulu allows you to reset Home 4 times a year. The problem again is you can't change home over a jetpack.

Probably the best solution is to get the FCC to change their ridiculous policy. I guess it was the big sports leagues that were behind getting that policy put in place.

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

.  I used to be able to stream CNBC at night for that days shows.  Now you have to wait a day or two.  Who wants to watch old news?

LOL.  I'll stick with my satellite TV.  I can handle $100/mo.  I don't want to be buried with it.

2 hours ago, docj said:

What they are doing is complying with FCC rules regarding reception of out-of-area TV stations, the same rules that prevent satellite TV customers from watching local stations for other than their own cities and, even then, only when they are physically in the immediate area.

I don't understand your contention.  With a mobile device (hotspot), they would know exactly where you are so they could only show programming for your location.  That would be easy to comply with FCC rules.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, docj said:

Through the Xfinity app, it will not let you air play it, they have it blocked.  Which makes no sense.   I AirPlay from my iPad or phone to the Apple TV to the big screen.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I have separate apps for ABC, CBS, and NBC, all with live streaming,  installed on our Firestick. The oddity though, is that which "locals" we get varies with which carrier I'm using. If we're on our pad at our Adirondack cottage where we have Spectrum cable available, we get the correct locals for that area. If I switch the Firestick to our AT&T hotspot, we get the NYC "locals", and switching to our Verizon hotspot gives us Kansas City. We can always get the cottage locals OTA with the DishAnywhere app of course, no matter where we are.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived