Alaska 2019

Monaco Larry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a 9 day breakdown we were able to be back on the road today. We left Grande Prairie at 3:30 and pulled into Fort Nelson at 9PM. Only saw one black bear on the whole trip but got plenty of rain to wash the bugs off of the windshield. On to Watson Lake tomorrow and Saturday we should catch up with our other 2 rigs in Whitehorse.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Has anyone drive the Glenn Allen-Tok cutoff recently. I have read it is not a good road but it is so much shorter than going around. I can't seem to find any information on its condition.

https://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdreams_journal/2019/06/2019-alaska-trip-day-50-horrible-alaska-roads-tolsona-wilderness-campground-glenallen-alaska.html is a recent report.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I read his perception but I take it with a big grain of salt.

We obviously have a different perception of what is a bad road than he does. He thought the Alaskan roads were bad, we breathed a sigh of relief as to how good they were compared to Yukon.

I had a response on another site. They drove it 2 days ago and would not hesitate to drive it again. See what other responses I get.

I read the RV-Dreams description of the Tok Cutoff as well.  Their description matched my experience driving it in 2016 in our 2006 Winnebago Sightseer, 29' long..  It was the bumpiest road we drove on.

HOWEVER:  The road was fully paved, and no problems driving it.  Yes it was bumpy from the dips and frost heaves.  I took it pretty slow (45-55mph) and watched closely for dips and frost heaves. For the dips I slowed down to 30-35mph and just took it easy.  

In other words, it is just a paved road with many bumps.  Take it slow and easy and you won't have a problem.  

It sure beats driving a really long way around.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Drove it a couple weeks ago.  Much better than 2 years ago, but still in rough shape.  A 12 or so mile construction zone with pilot car east of Chistochina.  Very doable in a 45,000lb MH, just take your time. Allow 3 to 3-1/2 hours Tok to Glenallen.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 3 coaches are currently in Palmer. We had spent 4 days in Denali and had a great view of the mountain. Not very many animals on the park tour. We have been pretty lucky with the weather and lack of smoke. For all of the bloggers on FB Alaska 2019, I'm surprised we don't have more commenting on this site.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005

We’ve been up here almost two months and are just about ready to head back toward the USA. Yesterday we visited McCarthy and the Kennecot Historical Mine. Today we made our way to Valdez and will be here for a few days. These are our last stops in Alaska unless we venture off the Cassiar Highway on the way back. However, most of those areas we have visited before on Alaska cruises. It’s been a great adventure!

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk