Alaska 2019

Monaco Larry

Howdy!

One of the best things I did last year on our trip to Alaska was join a FaceBook ground “RVing to Alaska 2018”. The FB Group was very informative and helped each other along the way. I unstand they have already started the “RVing to Alaska 2019” group which is active now. It’s well worth it and the only cost is purchase a decal for your RV if you want to be identified to others in the group.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've ever used the Milepost you know that it has you flipping from one section to another.  I would think this would be frustrating if trying to do it online.  You're right in that internet is not available in the long stretches between towns.  I don't think I'd like it at all.  I still like to hold my maps! :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 1 month later...
Five years ago we went from Tok to Dawson City and back but left the trailer at the RV park in Tok and just took the truck.  The first third from Tok to Chicken was paved but had potholes to avoid.  Then from Chicken to the border it was gravel mostly not bad until the last 5 miles.  They were repairing that section and had put down fist sized gravel that was not rolled down yet.  It took me over an hour to go through this section to keep from beating up my truck.  Then the Canadian section to Dawson City was good with a hard packed surface covered with pea sized gravel.  We could make pretty good time on this section.  Coming back 3 days later the bad section was rolled down and was much better but still not as good as the rest of the road.  Along the way I saw several dually trucks pulling large fivers but after my experience I would never take my trailer over that road.  Dawson City is a nice town and was worth the trip to get there.  We are planning a return trip to Alaska this summer but Dawson City is not on the agenda this time.

1 hour ago, albertgt said:

How bad/dangerous is the Top of the World Highway for large 5th wheels? Have heard "not bad" to "awful".

40' motorhomes and 35' to 40' 5th wheels take the route every year.  "not bad" to "awful" is all a matter of perspective.   What one person considers "not bad" is what another person considers awful.  

Certainly road conditions play a large part.  If it has been a long time, several weeks since the gravel parts have not been maintained and there has been lots of rain, there will be pretty good potholes.  

We drove the TOTWH in Aug 2016 and found road conditions to be good.  Some fog and light rain but nothing bad.  Link to our blog entry for that part of our AK trip.  We planed for boondocking along the road so we would have a relaxed drive and enjoy the sights. Details are in our blog entry for that part of our AK trip.  Link at the bottom of this reply. 

The Yukon part of the road was easier to drive than the Alaska part.  Much wider in YT.  The dirt part in AK was pretty narrow in a few spots.

Whenever we met oncoming traffic in any narrow parts of the road, we always pulled as far to the right as possible, and either stopped or slowed to 5mph or less.  We almost never drove over 30-35mph.  We were in no rush.  At least one large MH drove past us at a much greater speed than I would have.  We were stopped so as long as they didn't hit us, we were fine.  Some pictures in our blog. 

To make the drive from Dawson City to Tok in one day, makes for a long days drive, unless you hurry.  If you hurry you expose yourself to more risk and possible damage from a random pothole or greater risk when you meet oncoming traffic.  

DO plan on staying in TOK or Chicken, AK or Dawson City, YT for a day or several days if needed for nice weather.  The drive will be much more enjoyable. 

Link to our blog entry:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/tok-to-dawson-yt-via-top-of-world-totw.html

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We're ones that would say "not bad".  As AlF stated above it's all a matter of perspective. We love touring the back roads so a gravel road doesn't bother us.  You won't have any steep mountain inclines or downs like you might have even on an interstate or those Colorado passes on secondary roads. I'd just call them small hills. We've done it in May and also in August. Both times we had good weather and that's the key.  You don't want to drive it in the rain or for a couple days following heavy rain.  Just be flexible and in case of rain plan to spend a couple extra nights in either Tok or Dawson City depending were you're starting from.  If the weather is good when you're heading up then plan to do it then just in case you might have bad weather when you return.  Dawson City is not to be missed.  It's a fun little town with lots of history.  As far as it being narrow... there are very few places, if any, where two vehicles couldn't pass. We never encountered any.  You don't want to pull off beyond the hard packed road unless it's a well-used pull-off.  The 'shoulders' will typically have very, very soft dirt and it's not safe.

Full-timed for 16 Years

Here are some pictures of an oncoming RV caravan we met on a narrow section about 5-10 miles east of Chicken.  The vast majority of the road is not this narrow.  

Since we drive slow on this type of road, about 20-25mph as soon as I saw the oncoming traffic, I pulled to the right and stopped.  

Large 5th wheel approching

Large MH approching

Large MH rolling past us at about 15mph. Much too fast IMO.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

As much as perception plays a role in the posted reviews, the weather is a huge variable. Dust is one thing, but greasy roads, slick with Calcium Chloride, are a whole new hell. The CaCl will turn into concrete, if not washed off while still wet, and is incredibly hard on bare steel, like most RV frames. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Al F said:

Here are some pictures of an oncoming RV caravan we met on a narrow section about 5-10 miles east of Chicken.  The vast majority of the road is not this narrow.  

Since we drive slow on this type of road, about 20-25mph as soon as I saw the oncoming traffic, I pulled to the right and stopped.  

Large 5th wheel approching

Large MH approching

Large MH rolling past us at about 15mph. Much too fast IMO.

If a caravan takes its customers on the road then you know it's o.k.  Those using caravans don't all have the same driving ability.

Full-timed for 16 Years

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Larry that should be a good date. Are going up on the Cassair? And the next question is Bannf and Jasper on the trip North?  Br aware we got to Whitehorse on Memorial day weekend and tourist season was just beginning. 

Enjoy,

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

4 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

Larry that should be a good date. Are going up on the Cassair? And the next question is Bannf and Jasper on the trip North?  Br aware we got to Whitehorse on Memorial day weekend and tourist season was just beginning. 

Enjoy,

Bill

We go up on the AlCan  on our way North and the Cassair on our way out in Sept. We hope to catch Jasper and Banff on our way out if the wild fires don't have the highways closed like in 2017.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005

10 hours ago, Monaco Larry said:

We arrived in Keizer, Oregon today and introduced couple #2 to couple #3 who we are leading to Alaska for the summer. Thank goodness they hit it off great.

You must be at the Elks lodge in Keizer, since I don't know of other camping choices.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

Our 3 coaches arrived in Lyndon, Washington this afternoon. Having to stay much longer here than planned due to Canada's major holiday coming up next weekend. It appears we can't find any open campgrounds in BC until the 22nd at the earliest.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005

How close to the border are you looking? At a week out, depending on your travel speed, you could be well into boondocking country for the May Long.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 2 weeks later...

Previous post was supposed to have gone on several days ago. Our 3 coach's moved on from Prince George to Chetwynd today. The road became a little rough but we saw several black bear and the rear end of one disappearing moose. Resting for a few nights before moving on to Dawson Creek.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005

Chetwynd getting some smoke from the East but it isn't too bad. Leave in the morning for a few days in Dawson Creek. We expect more smoke there. Hoping it cools down as it was 82 today. Makes it a little warm for hiking.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005

Heavy smoke 100 miles east of Fort Nelson to Fort Nelson. Looking at smoke forecast Fort Nelson is on the fringes and should be clear tomorrow. Hope so, the scenery really starts from Fort Nelson westward. Heard there was a 5th wheel on fire 20 miles east of Fort Nelson. Saw 6 bears today. Road is great shape.

• 2 weeks later...

We have fallen behind schedule. On Tuesday 8/4, our transmission went out on our motor home. Low bedded back to Fort St. John to a repair facility. The next morning they informed me they were closing their facility that day and we needed to be low bedded to Grande Prairie which was 3 hours East and in Alberta. They thought they repaired the transmission, re-installed it and we still had no forward gears. Dropped the transmission again and I carried the 500 lb transmission in our Honda to Edmonton which was 290 miles and 4 1/2 hours away. Just completed the 10 hour, 600 mile round trip. They hope to have it repaired and back to Grande Prairie by Friday.

Meanwhile the 2 rigs were were leading to Alaska have continued on. Hope we can catch them in Dawson City next week.

Larry, Cheryl and Daisy
2005 Monaco Dynesty

2011 Honda CRV
Fulltiming since 2005